Clipping nails

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have new kitten, and its about that time to clip his nails... BUt he is always doing that cute kneading thing.... nad I dont want to disrupt that...And I know I will be awkward doing it - I have never had a cat before... Any advice?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cute kneeding thing won't be so cute when the nails are really sharp!

But that doesn't mean he will stop the kneeding if you clip nails either. I'd either take your kitten to the vet and have the technician show you how to do it, or find another cat person to show you. Its easy to do - and it should be done at a young age on a routine basis - like 2-3 times a week for kittens - check nails and clip as necessary.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forest

I have new kitten, and its about that time to clip his nails... BUt he is always doing that cute kneading thing.... nad I dont want to disrupt that...And I know I will be awkward doing it - I have never had a cat before... Any advice?
In my case, I do it when he is sound asleep. Naturally, he wakes up but he appears to say the heck with it and allows it to happen which he would never do if wide awake. Also, if I only get a couple of them done and he does wake up, that is OK, I can catch the other two next time. I also give him a few Pounce when done, the same thing I do to get him to be nice when I comb him every day. These I might point out are the only time he gets special treats.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
wheni first started clipping clws for the first time I wauted for sleep too, thenone day I got tired of waiting, grabbed her and just did it really fast. she wriggled but i gently said, I am in charge.

as for the biscuits, clipping the claws won't stop that at all. mine is a major biscuit maker and it's wonderful. she especially likes my armpits. (TMI?)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once someone shows you how far down to clip and how to hold kitty it will be a breeze for you to clip them regularly.

You can also get them used to having their paws touched and played with which will help you as well.

I often will just lightly hold Bijou's paw and stroke it or sometimes just stroke it without picking it up in my hands. He and Mika are both used to having their paws touched and caressed which makes it much easier when clipping time rolls around.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it might be ok to start off when sleepy, its really not a good habit to wait till kitty is asleep to trim nails. As a kitten, its a lot easier to get them into a routine of nail clipping when they are fully awake and train them to sit still and have it done.

Ling doesn't like it - she complains the entire time. But she's been trained to lay on her back on my lap and her nails are clipped as needed. When I'm done, THEN she's allowed to leave. I always give them a big hug, tell them they are a good kitty, and that it's all done now