So I took the kids(cats) to the vet today...

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason that we went was because I thought that they had worms. Turns out that I was right and they have tapeworms ( thank you, Kathleen, for letting my cat poo on you while you were trying to groom her
). I sent a fecal sample yesterday so that the vet could check for worms and it came back negtive. Thanks to my groomer, we were able to see that she had tapeworms.

Long story short, the vet put them on wormer pills and Petunia has to have antibiotics for an infection. Pepper, of course, took his pills with no problem because they were hidden in treats and he will eat anything
. Well, I am having an awful time trying to get Petunia to take her pills. I finally got her to take her amoxacilin, but the pills are not happening. I tried the treats, I tried cheese, I tried just forcing her, nothing is working---and she is getting nasty. She is a very touchy girl to begin with, but I am afraid that I will not get these pills into her and still be able to touch her afterward. Any more suggestions? I have help coming home in a little while so there will be omeone to help soon. Thanks in advance.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, tapes are rarely seen in fecal exams, so it makes sense that even though she had them, the fecal came back negative.

Can you try and crush the pill up and hide it in the canned food. If you keep it whole, they are more than likely going to get the treat and no pill. If worse comes to worse, you can always wrap her in a towel and pill her. If you end up doing it that way, make sure that you give her some water from a syringe or eye dropper afterwords to be sure that the pill gets all the way down the esophagus.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

Just an FYI, tapes are rarely seen in fecal exams, so it makes sense that even though she had them, the fecal came back negative.

Can you try and crush the pill up and hide it in the canned food. If you keep it whole, they are more than likely going to get the treat and no pill. If worse comes to worse, you can always wrap her in a towel and pill her. If you end up doing it that way, make sure that you give her some water from a syringe or eye dropper afterwords to be sure that the pill gets all the way down the esophagus.

Good luck!
Thanks! They told me at the vet's office that tapeworm are hard to find in a fecal sample. I wasn't mad at them or anything like that, I hope I did't come off that way. I was just glad that we were able to find the problem. Thanks for the water tip. We will probably end up having to pill her. She doesn't like canned food and she is not even feeling well enough t eat her usual favorite treats so I think we're stuck with pilling her.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If worst comes to worst, you can get an injection for tapeworm at the vets.

I can't pill my own cats. Other peoples' cats? No problem, but not my own.