Outside cat help ...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is the sweetest orange boy that lives in my neighborhood. His name is Tiger and he's so very friendly. He comes over everyday to either sit on the porch or on my veranda. With his owners permission, I also feed him. Hes been doing this for over a year. Sometimes, when he's on the veranda, my Laura will go open the wood blinds on the door and meow at him, but nothing more than that.

I have opened the blinds before and they have been face to face with him, showing absolutely no signs of aggression.This morning, 3 of my cats have been extremely aggitated with Tiger outside. They have bushy tails and are growling. I dont know why after all this time, they are bothered by him. Laura is even snapping at Kiko
I am not able to close them out of the room either, but I am afraid of having redirected aggression issues.

He is neutered, too. Why would all of the sudden after all of this time, they become aggitated with him?

I have a bed outside for him, too. Here he is on the veranda in his bed.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that he was around someone else that your babies don't know and broght that scent with him too.

I have seen that happen with my group, once in a while the insiders will go bananas at the same outsiders that have been there for years. Itls obviously something scent-wise, because I couldn't seen anything different.

Just calm and soothe your babies inside and tell them that the outsider will stay outside and that they don't need to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

It is possible that he was around someone else that your babies don't know and broght that scent with him too.

I have seen that happen with my group, once in a while the insiders will go bananas at the same outsiders that have been there for years. Itls obviously something scent-wise, because I couldn't seen anything different.

Just calm and soothe your babies inside and tell them that the outsider will stay outside and that they don't need to worry.
I guess that is possible. I have been down on the ground with them this morning talking to them and letting them know that he doesnt have the kind of life they do
and we are just making sure he has enough food and a bed to sleep in, out of the rain.

I will keep comforting them and hopefully they will calm down soon.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should. I have been very fortunate that my cats are willing to listen to me and trust basically what and how I tell them. A pet or two never hurts either.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that happens to us.......and my kitties are indoor/outdoor, but we have this tom - unneutered - calls every so often, sometimes he is very naughty and tries to come into my conservatory , via the cat-flap, well as you can imagine all hell breaks loose
tails like loo brushes and hiss and spit flying everywhere, and thats after a 2 min visitation
he sometimes leaves his calling card
and that can set my kits off.............as Tiger is neutered, well you know you cant smell a neutered cats calling card, but your kitties will...so maybe thats whats getting em all going.................? ? ?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

that happens to us.......and my kitties are indoor/outdoor, but we have this tom - unneutered - calls every so often, sometimes he is very naughty and tries to come into my conservatory , via the cat-flap, well as you can imagine all hell breaks loose
tails like loo brushes and hiss and spit flying everywhere, and thats after a 2 min visitation
he sometimes leaves his calling card
and that can set my kits off.............as Tiger is neutered, well you know you cant smell a neutered cats calling card, but your kitties will...so maybe thats whats getting em all going.................? ? ?
I didnt know you couldnt smell a neutered cats calling card. (calling card
) I wonder what would make him after all this time want to leave one
About a month ago, we moved some furniture to the basement and because doors to the outside would be open in the process, I had to lock my babies inside rooms, so they wouldnt get out.

Before I let them out, I did a search to make sure Tiger had not come in and I found him on the couch, taking a nap.
When I went to get him, he started running from me, not wanting to leave
When I finally got him outside, he sat there all day, crying to come back in

But even then, when my cats came out, they showed no signs of aggression, even though they were sniffing where Tiger had been.

I just took this pic of him..... this is what he's doing while my cats are freaking out

When I went outside, he woke up. Hes such a precious cat, so friendly, so loving

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I didnt know you couldnt smell a neutered cats calling card. (calling card
) I wonder what would make him after all this time want to leave one
I know, it seems real strange. Dino my big lazy boy, when he ventures outside, I usually go watch him - he dont go out much, so his mom has to keep an eye on him
and I´ve seen him spraying one of our terracota plant pots
now I know this sounds real gross, but the 1st time I ever saw him do that I went to check out the smell
.........you could see the drip marks (sorry) and there was no smell
he´s neutered of course......

Originally Posted by Pami

I just took this pic of him..... this is what he's doing while my cats are freaking out

When I went outside, he woke up. Hes such a precious cat, so friendly, so loving
Those are such lovely photos and he´s such a cutie

Have your kitties settled now

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

I know, it seems real strange. Dino my big lazy boy, when he ventures outside, I usually go watch him - he dont go out much, so his mom has to keep an eye on him
and I´ve seen him spraying one of our terracota plant pots
now I know this sounds real gross, but the 1st time I ever saw him do that I went to check out the smell
.........you could see the drip marks (sorry) and there was no smell
he´s neutered of course......

Have your kitties settled now
Then you you should know first hand about the smell

They are much more calm right now, when they start up again, I just start calmly talking to them, but in the meantime, Im stuck in this room, afraid to leave