Early neutering UK and US

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if you guys are having the same problem I am. I will be going either tomorrow or on Saturday to visit my mentor and put a deposit down on one of her kitties on the active list. I have been calling around different vets in my area to get an idea of how they feel about breeding and early neutering. What I find really strange is while I was expecting them to be more cautious of the breeding question and enthusiastic about the early neutering, I have found the opposite is true. Some simply said that there policy was 6 months period. Other sounded horrified that I would want to do that "to a poor baby", when I said that I just wanted to make sure that the "poor baby" did not become a parent too early or BYB breeder they didn't seem to get it.

The good news is I found one vet that has neutered young ferals and the receptionist said she totally understood where I was coming from with this. She said the vet would call me back. I don't get why people are so opposed to this! It just ensures that none of the kitties that leave me will be exploited by BYBers. Surely that's what any animal lover wants?

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean about this, vets who will do the early op are too few and far between in this country. The majority of vets and receptionists you speak to about it can be soooo patronising to you too.
Our maine coon came to us at 14 weeks old, having been early neutered at 13 wks by his breeder at her vets in Hull. Our siamese however were fully intact, and I could not find a vet near us in Preston who were prepared to do the op until the kittens were older than 5 months. What really bugs me is even when you put the logical argument to these people, you get a response which is complete nonsense. A kitten is still a kitten weather it is seven days, seven weeks or seven months old, so at whatever point the op is carried out, it is a "baby"!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a breeder, but as far as spay/neuter, I really wasnt sure the age to have them done. Where I live (U.S.) I called around and they all said 6 months. That was 3 years ago, Im not sure if that has changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know one breeder on this site (I think celestialrags sorry if I'm wrong) does have her kittens neutered before they go to new homes. I thought that was such a great idea and since I had to call around to find breeder friendly vets I asked about early neutering, I really didn't expect that response.

Yes they are babies whether at 5weeks or 5months! Why can't people see this is a good thing?

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no idea. There are no negatives as far as I can see, well we all know that don't we. Why is it that the people who in my opinion are the ones to know best, have the wrong end of the stick entirely??

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read somewhere on here that someone actually printed up some info about the benefits of early spay/neuter and took it to the vets. I think its more of a "lack of knowledge" thing than anything else. Hopefully more and more vets will see the benefits, especially for breeders who will be placing them "fixed" with new homes.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GlamourPuss

There are no negatives as far as I can see, well we all know that don't we.
No, we don't all know. I believe I read somewhere that early altering hinders the cats development. Not sure where, I'll look it up.

My vet wouldn't neuter my siamese cat until he was 6 months. The bengal I'm getting from a breeder will be altered by me because my breeder doesn't have a vet near her (Montana) that will do early altering. My husband and I are thinking of switching vets anyway, so we'll be looking for someone who will neuter Ares (the new bengal) sooner rather than later.

Just curious though, I may be showing Ares and I want to know if early altering will have any negative affect on his coat clarity and his build.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder, but personally I would not and have not neuetered a cat before 6 months, and I know one of the local shelter has it done at 8 weeks, and do it before people take them home.They have been doing this for quite afew years, and I don't know if there have been any studies done regarding their development. I know at 6 months I will be getting any cat I have neutered, and I know they are not going to be in a position of being impregnated, so I would rather allow for full develpment before I start snipping away.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few articles I found:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

http://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htm

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...c_Spay/Neuter_
The kittens were divided into three groups:

Group 1 (11 kittens) were neutered or spayed at 7 weeks of age.
Group 2 (11 kittens) were neutered or spayed at 7 months.
Group 3 (the control group of 9 kittens) were not neutered until maturity and after the completion of the first phase of the study at 12 months.
Increased long bone length was observed in both males and females in Groups 1 and 2. This appeared to be due to the fact that physeal closing (closure of the bone growth plate) was delayed in Groups 1 & 2. This explains why cats neutered and spayed as kittens are frequently larger (longer and taller) than unaltered cats or cats altered later in life. This seems to be particularly true for males.
This is from the first link. The general opinion of average pet buyers is that altering STUNTS growth, but this shows its actually the opposite. I wonder what this means for the show ring?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read this article Tiffany thanks for posting it,I totally forgot about it. Both Rocket and Mica were neutered at 5mths (vet made an exception because they were of the opposite sex) Rocket is tiny but Mica is pretty big in comparison. I have seen her sisters (they are both on the active list) and they are smaller than she is. She is has longer fur and her tail would have been perfect for showing in that it is plume-like (lighter than her points though which is a fault). I think that this is because she was neutered as three littermates were all girls all lilac-points and pretty much identical at 14weeks. Two sisters still pretty much identical now. Thats what her breeder says anyway. Does anyone know otherwise?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure early neutering was a good idea when I first came on here, but I'm now convinced that's it's not only harmless but a very good thing. I think it's just a cultural thing over here - vets are used to neutering at about 6 months and are trained to believe that is the correct age. They simply aren't informed about the benefits of early neutering. Some will do it - when I was looking for kittens 9 years ago (when I got Jaffa) I spoke to someone at the rspca who informed me the kittens I was enquiring about had already been neutered - I think they were about 10 weeks. I've not had a problem getting my boys neutered at 5 months, which is a bit sooner than many will do it, but I've never asked them what they think of doing it sooner. I guess half the problem is that if vets over here aren't trained to do it on very young kittens I'm not sure I'd have a lot of confidence in them doing it. It needs to be something that the rcvs promotes.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Tiffanyjbt, did you find any articles on the negative side effects of early altering? (if there are any.)
No. I'm still looking though. This is actually one of the problems I have with the current research. I understand the benefits of neutering, but it seems like those 'in the know' are either witholding info or just not bothering to do the research because they don't want to discourage people from altering their cats. I firmly believe there is a positive and a negative side to everything, so this just leaves me puzzled. Even if the negatives are far outweighed by the positive, I NEED to know!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I am not a breeder, but personally I would not and have not neuetered a cat before 6 months, and I know one of the local shelter has it done at 8 weeks, and do it before people take them home.They have been doing this for quite afew years, and I don't know if there have been any studies done regarding their development. I know at 6 months I will be getting any cat I have neutered, and I know they are not going to be in a position of being impregnated, so I would rather allow for full develpment before I start snipping away.
Our rescue spays/neuters at 10-12 weeks of age...we haven't had a single issue with any of the kittens and we have been doing early age spay/neuter for at least 3 years. Some rescue groups have been performing early age spay/neuter for 10 years or longer. I have not heard of any significant issues associated with early age neutering/spaying and the development of cats.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Tiffanyjbt, did you find any articles on the negative side effects of early altering? (if there are any.)
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

I understand the benefits of neutering, but it seems like those 'in the know' are either witholding info or just not bothering to do the research because they don't want to discourage people from altering their cats.
Perhaps the best thing to do is to call around and ask different vets the age they spay/neuter cats and the reason they have chosen to start at that age.

Katie

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am someone who has had all of my pet kittens come early altered at 11 weeks to me. I have 2 beautiful 5 and 6 year old males, who have never presented with any problems, and they are not fat, but well developed, and the perfect size for thier specific breed. These vets who are not practicing early altering have not researched and got up with the times, as there have been many studies by very accredited vets who have shown time after time that early altering better benefits the kitten than it does a young adult, for many reasons.

I have also with my vet practiced early altering on my own kittens in the past 4 years, and not once have we had any issues involving the spay and neuters of kittens at 10-12 weeks of age. The kittens are now adults, who have grown to be healthy, well adjusted cats, with no indication of negative side effects from being early altered.

I am a HUGE advocate of early altering and most breeders within my specific breed, also practice pediatric spays and neuters. The benefits to the male or female feline are too great. This practice has been done for many years, and the studies are out there. More and more vets are becoming aware of the need for early altering, and all of us need to be out there educating our vets with the information out there, that vets have put it out there for.
Here is an excellent link wrote by Dr. Susan Little, who is the President of the Winn Feline Foundation, it has information to print out and show to our vets.
http://www.catvet.homestead.com/EarlyAlter.html

There has been 2 major myths that I have ran into regarding early altering, one that it may stunt growth. All of the kittens that have been altered over the past 4 years, that are at least a year old, are well past 10 lbs.
Another myth is that it stunts the growth of the males urethra, again, this is not true, and none of the offspring, has had any urinary issues, whether it was a male or female.
If spaying is done before a females first heat cycle, it reduces mammary cancer by 80%. It also protects against uterine cancer or infection in females, and testicular cancer in males.
My own mentor has been practicing early altering in her cattery for over 10 years now, and is still doing so to this day.
This is my own wording about early altering from my experience. The kittens come home like nothing has happened, they are playing just like they normally would, and healing is done with Mom and littermates. Male kittens have stitches that dissolve, so once the procedure is done, there is nothing to be removed. Female kittens have a small 1 1/2 inch by 2 inch rectangle shaved and 2 sutures placed in, that need to be removed in 7-10 days, the females require only 2 sutures, as the incision done by my vet is that tiny. The adopting families bring home a kitten that has had the surgery already done, and if they get busy due to any reason, they are not going to have the worry of a female kitten going into heat before the 6 month mark, and they don't have the male kitten spraying or trying to escape the indoors to find a female to impregnante. This also makes sure that there are no accidental pregnancies, and more kittens brought into this world that were not planned. I don't see any negative side to pediatric altering.

I started work on a website to begin helping breeders and rescues find more vets that early alter, since the time I have began, we have had some illnesses, emergencies arise, and the loss of our beautiful Old English Sheepdog, Jack, who we still continue to grieve. It is still my plan and goal to get a website up that concentrates only on educational information regarding pediatric spay and neutering, as well as a nation wide list of vets who support early altering. It will not link to any breeders, it will only serve as a reference for early altering. I have received information from some already regarding their vets information that do early alter, if others have the names and cities of a vet who practices early altering, please feel free to email or PM me thier information.
I have been busier in life lately, so I do not have a date in which I will have this site finished and up, but I plan on posting the link when it is finished, and I do hope that helps many to realize the great benefits of early altering, and that it isn't something to fear.

Someone already linked to the Winn Feline Foundation website link regarding early altering, there is 2 wonderful articles written that makes for excellent reading.

Please note that my post is in respect to all, and no disrespect to those who have chosen not to participate in early altering for their kitten(s). It is only my intent to share my experience, and in hope get the word out to more, so others that do wish to practice early altering have the available options.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two vets at the moment and both won't do it before 6 months but alot of people on here have posted to get it done earlier. I haven't met a vet yet who does it before 6months esp for male kitties.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I have two vets at the moment and both won't do it before 6 months but alot of people on here have posted to get it done earlier. I haven't met a vet yet who does it before 6months esp for male kitties.
I am inquiring to a few breeders in the Philly area, who may know of a vet who early alters, if I get any responses back, I will let you know.
Good luck.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Please note that my post is in respect to all, and no disrespect to those who have chosen not to participate in early altering for their kitten(s). It is only my intent to share my experience, and in hope get the word out to more, so others that do wish to practice early altering have the available options.
Thank you for the information.

For the record (and I know this wasn't specifically directed at me) I'm not against ESN. I just want to know ALL sides of the story. My bengal would have been altered weeks ago if my breeder had a vet in her area that would do it, and I wouldn't have any problem with that. Overall, I think the pro's outweigh the cons. I would just like more conclusive evidence to support that thought.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Thank you for the information.

For the record (and I know this wasn't specifically directed at me) I'm not against ESN. I just want to know ALL sides of the story. My bengal would have been altered weeks ago if my breeder had a vet in her area that would do it, and I wouldn't have any problem with that. Overall, I think the pro's outweigh the cons. I would just like more conclusive evidence to support that thought.
I have yet to find a vet who once seeing pediatric spay/neuter performed in a wet lab isn't impressed. I know many people who have shown the procedure to their vets and the vets have switched from altering at 6 months to altering at 2-3 months.

With 4.5 Million animals being euthanized in the USA...we have to reduce the indiscriminant breeding.

Katie