Cat pawing/ massaging you

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is funny but my 7 months baby Jumpy likes to paw my leg sometimes. It's really funny cause it does look like he is giving me a massage. Luckily, he doesn't extend his claws out so I'm okay with it. He use to do that to my baby Daisy who is also around the same age as him. She would lie there and he comes up to her to paw her tummy. Lately, he hasn't been doing it as often and I think he stopped doing that to Daisy but he still does it once a while to me. Not sure whether this has anything to do with getting milk from his mommy...

Does anyone has the same issue with their kittens??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

This is funny but my 7 months baby Jumpy likes to paw my leg sometimes. It's really funny cause it does look like he is giving me a massage. Luckily, he doesn't extend his claws out so I'm okay with it. He use to do that to my baby Daisy who is also around the same age as him. She would lie there and he comes up to her to paw her tummy. Lately, he hasn't been doing it as often and I think he stopped doing that to Daisy but he still does it once a while to me. Not sure whether this has anything to do with getting milk from his mommy...

Does anyone has the same issue with their kittens??
Many people write in with your same "issue" and most agree that you are correct; it most certainly does have something to do with getting milk from mommy. My cat is over 7 month now and has stopped doing that for quite some time but all cats differ. This has always been a popular question on this forum and you appear to have a very normal cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I guess he thinks I'm his mommy. I definitely don't even look like a cat. hahahaha I wish he can massage my back instead of my thighs.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old siamese Duke (Persi's short haired twin
) used to 'knead'/'make bread' all the time. Now he only does it if he's being exceptionally cuddly and I'm giving him scritches just right behind the ears and scruff. Then he 'kneads' my face or neck. He also does this to my hair (especially in the mornings when he wants me to get up to feed him). He chews/smacks on my hair loudly while he's doing it too. From my understanding, it a pretty normal cat thing and means they trust you and are being affectionate.

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dante goes so far as to even put something in his mouth when he does it. He won't go to sleeep at night time without doing it for a good 15 minutes, either to my blanket or to me clothes, I always assumed it was a comfort thing (connecting to when he was a little kitty).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My dear Fred lived to be 18, and he kneaded on me right up to the end.
Krazy, who lived to be at least that age, did the same thing until the end. She only sat on my wife's lap however, and would knead it for many minutes before finally laying down. Fortunately, I had my own lap cat at the time, Geycat, who never bothered with such things as kneading, just plopped right down. (Maybe my wife just needed her lap kneaded.)

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prego does it all the time, especially when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. It wouldn't be a big deal, except he's 13 lbs. It feels like bowling balls being dropped on your legs and stomach!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sneakers loves to knead people, and she's at least 13 or 14 years old... Unfortunately she DOES use her claws which is why I make sure to keep them very short! She loves lying on people's laps and then kneading their shoulder while she's lying down and purring.

kovu's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom's cat Bo is 8 years old and still does it. Oh and he is also a 25lb orange tabby it boy does it hurt. lol Kovu just started doing it about 2mo ago to me he lokes to do my back and I just love it as long as it is not 4am lol.

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I call it kneading and my cat did it his entire life. I've also never met a kitten who didnt do it, not that I've met a lot of kittens. They may grow out of it, they may not. I believe it has something to do with being taken away from the mother too early... or maybe not early enough. It is pretty cute, but also annoying if they are doing it to something you dont want snagged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just find it very cute for Jumpy to do that but I have never seen Daisy do that so I just figure it must be that boys "mature" slower than girls. He does it to me even while I'm asleep sometimes but since I'm a pretty dead sleeper, it doesn't bug me. He use to have his claws out a little bit but I just say "OUCH!" and he would retract his claws. Now he doesn't even have his claws out anymore when he does that. I guess I really lucked out since this is my first time owning pets.

The funny thing is that I do talk to my kitties; meanwhile, my bf thinks I'm going insane. hahaha

miamispartan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tigger always does this during "lap" time. I have to make sure I'm wearing jeans or some heavy cotton slacks, 'cause she does use her claws....

peachessr388

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
first off I am very curious what exactly my cats wants from me. If you could only speak it I'd be more then happy to supply him it whatever it may be he is wanting...I will be at my computer and he'll gantle claw my bakc a few times and sometimes get right beside my head I know he likes fresh water so I'll do that for him. I still get asked for something I check his food and his litter and thats isn't enough ethier. hes maybe about 6-7 years old if not older and hes indoor only fixed and generally fine in health as I keep up to date visits with a vet. He didn't get o grow up like other kittens and never ventures out of the basement and seem to dislike dogs. And there is one upstairs and its cat friend but hes not dog friendly. The other cats don't even come to our room but he will go out of my rom to greet them. I love him very much. I give him catnip now and then cuase he seems to really enjoy it. Plus I spoil him with treats and he doesn't do anything bad like any other cat I ever owned. Hes the most gentle of them all. I even found him good with children and they love him all the same. So what is he pawing me for? He sounds a little purr sometimes when I ask him but I maybe good with cats but I still can't decode his every purr lol.
I give him alot of attention when I am home and he sleeps with me sometimes and if I am on the pc he'll go to a perch I gave him above a file cabinet behind me. He really likes company of others too. He just seems really close to me. So I have asked friends and like one post here says he could be just trying to pet/massage my back not knowing the princapal does not work the same for me lol. Thanks to all who read this and may shed some light on the thought.

By the way how can I tell what kind of long hair cat he is?

amoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 yr old does this mostly to a fluffy pillow when she is happy and purring. I always called it "fluffing the pillow" and she has also done it to hubbys tummy. lol