Online Dating Sites

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So...I was in a long serious relationship up until the beginning of the summer. He joined the service, we both changed, grew up, etc. Amicable breakup. I am a fairly shy person, and tend to be introverted, and haven't really gotten into a relationship since. I have always had strong beliefs, religiously, that I wanted matched in someone I got involved with, that I could just never seem to articulate when I first meet people. So one of my friends suggested an online dating site specifically for people of the same beliefs. I was hesitant, but signed up. I've been talking to guys, but it is weird for me, because I'm not much online ever (even though I grew up with internet, IM, stuff like that), so I've never become really good friends with people I met online, much less meet to date.
Has anyone else ever posted a profile or something online specifically, looking for love/friendship/someone to chat with?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best girlfriend belongs to both EHarmony and Match.com and has met some nice guys there. Two were serious, but not the marriage that she seeks. Still, she feels that it works well; guys do hide their flaws (but I guess we all do, to a point), but IMO, they hide them whether we meet them online or in church or through work or friends. IMO, join & go for it!!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've met my bestest pal from London on myspace.
also I have gone on one date with a young man i met. It didnt work past the first date but at least it was given a whirl.
I bet you can find religious dating sites or fourms.
I mean if your a christian I bet there will be tons, and if you live in a major city the chances might be even better. If your not christian that doesnt mean there is no hope, you've got the whole world full of people coming from all creeds, shapes, colors, ethnicitys etc.
My S.O. and I have the same christian beliefs and I thank the lord that I found him because he has taught me so much about the Lord and lutheran faith.

Dont be afraid to join online dating services. Plenty of people are turned on to those sites for many different reasons. Besides sometimes talking to someone online beats sitting in a smokey bar, a crowded restaurant, etc.

Good luck..I am sure someone will fall right in you lap! thats usually how love works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement gals!

So, I posted one, so I guess we'll see how it goes. It's a heck of a lot easier than meeting people in person like I've been doing

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

Thanks for the encouragement gals!

So, I posted one, so I guess we'll see how it goes. It's a heck of a lot easier than meeting people in person like I've been doing
good for you!! I know that a pic is important, too! This could be a very entertaining thing, and IMO, safer than meeting in person. There was a thread here on TCS (this summer, I think) and some of the people here met their SO online, with great results, so it does indeed work

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using online dating sites, for about 9 months and have had mixed results. Since I'm not looking for a husband, sugar daddy or a one-night stand, this limits my pool of potentials. The free dinners have made up for the membership cost, though. It sure beats picking up men in bars (THAT scares the heck out of me).

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried it yet..I am waiting another year so can enjoy the single life..

Good luck to you though, and be safe

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

good for you!! I know that a pic is important, too!
Hah, so I put two pictures up, one of mostly my face and upper body, and one that you can see my whole body. But, the best pictures of myself I have are with my big white shepherd, and he's in both of them. So I have had a whole bunch of emails saying, "wow! what a cool dog!" I guess it weeds out anyone who doesn't like animals...

Originally Posted by katl8e

The free dinners have made up for the membership cost, though. It sure beats picking up men in bars (THAT scares the heck out of me).
I forgot about free food! The peice it costs do get on these sites surprised me, but I feel bettere knowing that I am, to some point, controlling who I talk to right away.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I haven't tried it yet..I am waiting another year so can enjoy the single life..

Good luck to you though, and be safe
Thank you : ) I like the one I am at now so far, so if you want a recommendation a year from now, I'm sure I'll have developed an opinion by then!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

The free dinners have made up for the membership cost, though. It sure beats picking up men in bars (THAT scares the heck out of me).
sometimes you score with a really nice meal and that becomes way more interesting than the date

bars can be a scary place. I met my dan in a bar..I had seen him there a few times out with his friend, but never with any females. I assumed he was single..worked up my courage and hit on him. he showed no interest..how rude was that. later that night we ran into each other again and the right things were said and well...here we are a year and half later!

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have dabbled in the online dating now and again. It's easier because you can find pretty close to what you are looking for. Well to a degree. For instance, I couldn't imagine dating a person who smokes. So any profiles I browse I always make sure that they are a non-smoker.

Although I don't tend to leave it an online thing for long. I usually meet them within a couple days of talking to them. It's always easier to see what a person is truly like in person. I can be quite outgoing on the phone or online, but get me in person and I can be quite shy.

Good luck! It can be a lot of fun. You meet so many people you would have never met otherwise. Just be careful.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted on sites, mostly looking for some new friends who share my interests, not looking for dating... BUT I did end up dating someone I met through one of them even though I wasn't really looking for dating!

Personally I would suggest checking out the interest meetup sites such as meetup.com and meetin.org , These sites have get-togethers for people that share the same interests and are a great way to meet people. I was on meetup.com and hosted meetups for quite a while. Another site people don't think of is craigslist.

I have also made some good friends who I first met online through special interest sites (like forum websites, AOL etc) that were not meetup or dating sites. My sister first met her husband online that way too!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started dating Earl, back in April. Romance didn't work out but, we are good friends and, since he is in real estate, he is now helping me find a house to buy. This friendship has worked out better than the two romantic relationships that I've tried.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Maybe you could try this site
I saw a girl on Dr. Phil a while back who used it and loved it
...but then again, she wound up on Dr. Phil's show

www.sugardaddy.com

I guess you never know...(Starry, you've just been saving that, haven't you!)