Oh no... Not Loki!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We came home from work around 3:30 this afternoon to find Loki in the bottom of his cage, barely alive. I scooped him up, his eyes were pinning in and out rapidly. I called the vet and was told to bring him in ASAP!
I put him in the small travel crate and headed there. He sat in my lap and was chirping very quietly and I could tell he was struggling to do that. About 2 blocks from the vets I was sitting at a red light when I heard him let out this horrible screech and then gurgle. I pulled over as soon as the light turned green but it was too late... he was gone.

I started bawling my eyes out to the point they are still swollen and puffy. I called the vet from my cell phone and told them what happend and asked what to do. he told me to go ahead and bring him in.
When I got there they were waiting for me and rushed him into the back. I sat in the waiting room for what seemed to be hours crying my eyes out in front of these strangers. One was very nice and offered to buy me a soda from the store next door. The others looked at me like I was crazy. About 30 mins later, they came out and told me he was gone..
They said he choked on a tiny peice of his cuttle bone and showed me the piece..
I called Reggie and told him what happened. H e could barely understand me through the tears but heard enough to say "take out the cuttlebone from Pepsi's cage... Loki's gone". I sat in thier waiting room for about another 20 mins trying to gather my thoughts before I left.
DH was kind enough to take Loki's cage to the shed because he knows me, if I see it, I'll lose it again.
My head hurts soooo bad right now!
He was still a baby... just getting his ring and learning how to talk. I am SOO mad at myself because I shouldn't have given him the new cuttlebone this morning

OR if I would have come home 10 mins earlier.

I'm so lost right now...

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh sweetie!
I am really sorry to hear about Loki!
I know how dear he was to you..and we all love hearing about him and seeing his great pictures.

I hope your spirits lift up.
We are all here...anytime you need us!
Bless you!
Dont blame yourself...it will just drive you insane.
your a wonderful mommy to all your kids(furry, non, and featherd)...your not to blame.

What is a cuttle bone? sorry if i sound lame?

Ps.
I
ya girly!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, I know that no words will ease the pain that you are feeling.But, rest assured that Loki does NOT hold you at fault over this.It was an accident that was freaky to say the least.It is my understanding that birds need cuttlebones in order to digest foods and keep their beaks trimmed.PLEASE do NOT blame yourself for this.
Rest in peace little one.Play happily over the Bridge with Neela and so many others!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

ohh sweetie!
I am really sorry to hear about Loki!
I know how dear he was to you..and we all love hearing about him and seeing his great pictures.

I hope your spirits lift up.
We are all here...anytime you need us!
Bless you!

What is a cuttle bone? sorry if i sound lame?

Ps.
I
ya girly!
It's for thier beaks

Essential calcium supplement and beak conditioner for birds. Made of real cuttlebones and 100% digestable ground calcium

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...one&N=2#detail

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was NOT your fault, you poor thing!!! Please don't blame yourself! I gave all my birds cuttlebones for over 25 years and not one of them ever choked - it was a freak accident! Oh I'm so sorry!

Poor baby birdy Loki! Fly up over RB and sing to all the birds that will be waiting there to guide you. Fly free, precious Loki!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Alycia, I know that no words will ease the pain that you are feeling.But, rest assured that Loki does NOT hold you at fault over this.It was an accident that was freaky to say the least.It is my understanding that birds need cuttlebones in order to digest foods and keep their beaks trimmed.PLEASE do NOT blame yourself for this.
Rest in peace little one.Play happily over the Bridge with Neela and so many others!!!
Thank You Tammy... I just keep looking at the table where he sat, next to my desk and keep waiting to hear him sqwak for a chip or a peanut

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Im so sorry.
I know how much you love these birds. I wish I had the right words to comfort you.

Rest in Peace Loki! Your mommy loves you!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

It's for thier beaks

Essential calcium supplement and beak conditioner for birds. Made of real cuttlebones and 100% digestable ground calcium

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...one&N=2#detail
i kinda thought thats what a cuttle bone was.
growing up the neighbors had birds, many of them. that was something i remember seeing in everycage.

anyways,
please dont blame yourself. your like one of my most favorite people here..when your sad i am too. Oh alycia...rest your mind for a while.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

mad at myself because I shouldn't have given him the new cuttlebone this morning

OR if I would have come home 10 mins earlier.

I'm so lost right now...
Alycia, don't blame yourself sweetheart- it was an accident. You had no way of knowing he was going to choke on his cuttlebone
The same could happen to a human who chokes on a piece of popcorn or a chicken bone- you just never know...accidents happen. I am soo sorry you lost the little guy. But you know, while you had him- you gave him an incredable home and lots of love- that's more than any bird could ever ask for
/ When I had my birds, i didn't know about cuttle bones being a choking hazard eithor and gave them to them all the time. Please don't blame yourself sweetie

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh No I'm so sorry poor Loki
I doubt that it had anything to do you , I realize he may have choked on it but that could have happened anytime don't you think? Don't blame yourself for this. I'll be thinking about you all and sweet little Loki

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, I am in shock over this, such a beautiful bird. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have heard of this happening with larger birds and cuttlebones, but you weren't to know, it is not your fault in the slightest.

RIP Loki, you lovely birdie

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone.
It makes me want to cry everytime I think about it. I mean how long was he laying there? How long before we got home did it happen? I just have so many questions that I'll never know.

Fly free over the rainbow bridge Loki, and keep an eye on all our kitties....

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry! I didn't know they could even choke on them, and they were nesacary to have. I would have had one for mine if I had any, too! Please don't blame your self, it could have happened to ANYONE who have those cuttlebone things. Do they have a better substitute for these things? Or do you go with out, and they can't sharpen their beaks, or just take your chances and provide them? I hope you feel better about this soon, it's not any ones fault, especialy not yours

RIP Loki!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, how awful. I am so sorry, Poor Loki..Please don't blame yourself though, these things happen and Loki must have been needed more over the bridge
I am very sorry Alicia.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Loki, Alicia.
As the others have said, please don't blame yourself. Sometimes things happen that our beyond our control. I know that doesn't make this any easier, but the important thing is that your beautiful Loki was loved. RIP Loki.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry that Loki died. You must have loved this animal very much... Come to TCS and cry here, because nobody here will look weird at you. We know what it is like to lose a pet... Your Loki was a friend who loved you, no matter what; and being a bird doesn't make the loss any easier. Animals are so honest about their love, and that's something people are just too complicated to do.

When your eyes and head hurt from crying, it is a good idea to lie back with the lights off, and put a cold washcloth over your eyes... it is very soothing and makes the headache go away a little. Also peppermint tea, or any hot herb tea, is good for clogged sinuses when you have been crying.

You and your family, stick together and love each other... Your memories of Loki will be with you always.