kya's vaccines

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kya is 6 1/2 months old. she got her first NFVRCP vaccine at 3 weeks old.
she had her 2nd NFVRCP vaccine at 5 weeks old.
she had her 3rd NFVRCP vaccine at 8 weeks old.

it was suggested to me that she still needed more boosters after all of that but i decided to give her poor little immune system a break and wait until 6 months of age when a cats immune system is said to be fully matured and get one FVRCP vaccine and be done with it for a couple years at least. the tech that gave her the vaccine today said kya needs to come back in three weeks for a booster. nothing i have ever read online suggests this. so i need some advice on what i should do. im really against overvaccinating but i do want her to be protected, especially since im thinking about bringing another cat into the house (a boyfriend for her). thanks.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

kya is 6 1/2 months old. she got her first NFVRCP vaccine at 3 weeks old.
she had her 2nd NFVRCP vaccine at 5 weeks old.
she had her 3rd NFVRCP vaccine at 8 weeks old.

it was suggested to me that she still needed more boosters after all of that but i decided to give her poor little immune system a break and wait until 6 months of age when a cats immune system is said to be fully matured and get one FVRCP vaccine and be done with it for a couple years at least. the tech that gave her the vaccine today said kya needs to come back in three weeks for a booster.
nothing i have ever read online suggests this.
so i need some advice on what i should do. im really against overvaccinating but i do want her to be protected, especially since im thinking about bringing another cat into the house (a boyfriend for her). thanks.
My cat has had only the three sets of vaccinations. In fact, I just got an international certificate of vaccination for entry into Mexico and that was good enough for them. But I did get the vacs at different ages than you are talking about. Here is how old Persi was for each of his three:

1 - 5 weeks
2. - 9 weeks
3 - 14 weeks

(and nuetered at five months.) I was never told I needed any more vacs and that must be good enough, because as I said, it's good enough to go to Mexico and they are usually pretty strict about animal entry laws and making sure your animal has all its vacs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, im not happy with the way she was vaccinated, but we got her from the humane society, they pack them all in as fast as possible.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just talked to the vet again (well, someone in the office who talked to the vet for me). and she said that the first 3 rounds of vacs kya got when she was a tiny kitten did not count because of the age they were given, they were ineffective. and if she does not get a booster in 3 weeks, this vaccine she got today will also become ineffective and not count.

does anyone else have an opinion? im really worried about doing the right thing for kya. she needs to be protected. is the vet correct that this latest vaccine wont work without the booster?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, it is OK, just take a deep breath.

Most kitties, mine included get one shot at 9 weeks or so, one more at 12 weeks or so and then a yearly booster.

I would think that Kya has had all the shots she needs until at least next year.

Please don't worry. I don't understand why they are insisting that she get more. That doesn't make any sense. How much, by the way, are they charging you for the shots? I am just curious.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it came to $26.25, it was a 3 in one vac.
she still needs her rabies vaccine too, which i was planning on getting in a month. (unless i was to get her the booster for this one then i would get the rabies a month after that.)

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sephie and Orion both had 3 rounds and then nothing until a year after the 3rd round (rabies and upper respitory). You can get the 3 year version for both which I hope to be able to do next year..sometimes 20$ is 20$ and you just can't do it at the time.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah shes an inside kitty but the reason im worried about her being protected is because another cat is coming into the home.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Humane Society, unfortunately, started her vaccines WAY to young. Ideally, they are started around 8-9 weeks of age and receive 3 vaccines 3-4 weeks apart. She should have the last vaccine between 14-16 weeks of age, which is when the immunity from the mama will wear off. The reason for giving them 3-4 weeks apart is mainly for that reason.

As I said, the last vaccine should be given between 14-16 weeks of age, and a rabies vaccine should be given a couple of weeks after that.

Hope this helps!!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

The Humane Society, unfortunately, started her vaccines WAY to young. Ideally, they are started around 8-9 weeks of age and receive 3 vaccines 3-4 weeks apart. She should have the last vaccine between 14-16 weeks of age, which is when the immunity from the mama will wear off. The reason for giving them 3-4 weeks apart is mainly for that reason.

As I said, the last vaccine should be given between 14-16 weeks of age, and a rabies vaccine should be given a couple of weeks after that.

Hope this helps!!
well. she is 6 1/2 months now so its too late to change what happened as a kitten.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's true. The H.S. around here also seems to "overload" the kittens with vaccines. I didn't realize she was an older kitten. She should be ok then.
As far as boostering the vaccine, with her history and everything it will be up to the vet. If she has one more booster it isn't going to hurt her.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i called another vet for a 2nd opinion and they said if it was them, they would give kya TWO boosters!
i just dont understand why she would even need one, im not going to get it, im just going to get her rabies in a month.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The currently-accepted vaccine protocol for kittens is normally started at the age of 6 to 8 weeks, then given again at 9 to 11 weeks and a final vaccine is administered at the age of 12 to 15 weeks, with rabies at 16 weeks. As an aside, I caution you against getting both vaccines the same day. A lot of cats react badly when they receive both rabies and FRCVP at the same time There is one FRCVP booster at the age of one year and a yearly booster is recommended thereafter. Rabies can be given in either one or three year boosters thereafter. My vet is still recommending the one year rabies booster.

Recent studies have shown that most cats are fully immune from FRCVP by the age of one year even without the vaccine, however, as a responsible cat caregiver, it would be foolish not to protect your kitten from a potentially lethal illness.

My suggestion to you is to go ahead and give ONE FRCVP booster (not kitten series) now and again at the age of one year just to be safe. For an indoor cat with no access to unfamiliar animals, rabies is an option unless your state requires that cats be vaccinated against it.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah they tried to get me to let them give her the rabies the other day along with the fvrcp but i would not do it. i am not going to let them give her a booster, i dont believe it would do any good, only harm. i have come to the conclusion that she is now protected so she will not be getting any more fvrcp vaccines. thank you everyone for your advice