Just curious...

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, i'm sorry if i'm asking a stupid question or anything, I'm just kind of curious. I got my kitten Dante in a very complicated way, this is the story i got: a breeder accidentily had one of her queens have a litter with (probably) a stray, that was obviously not a pure bred. So, this breeder was going to drop off the three kittens at a shelter in my home town (which is rather small) which is known to be a kill shelter. The kittens at that time, were only 3 weeks old, and someone who knew them said that they would find homes for them, which then knew someone else, who was friends with my boyfriends younger sister. (confused yet?) anyways, the point is that i don't actually know the breeder.

So, I got one of these little kittens at the very tender age of three weeks. I have been very curious as to what breed my cat is partially. The only breeder I found in the area was Norweigen Forest Cats. But based on how this breeder was so quick to just dump off kittens, I'm not sure if they are a reputable breeder I would have located.. I don't really know.

He is very tiny (i think) for his age, he is now 4 months old in the pictures. I was thinking maybe Bengal? He loves water, and has jumped into the shower with me before. He is very cuddley, and will sit for hours and just lick my hands. I don't know if thats because of his breed or if thats because of the fact that i've had him since such a young age.

I don't know if this affects anything, but both of his brothers were all white.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm that is a cute little kitty! I don't think the "breeder" even deserves to be called that if she not only let one of her queens out to get prego by accident but then she was going to dump them at 3 weeks? What an awful person! I would think that even if a good breeder had a mistake, she would care for and love them anyways because it is her responsibility.

Well anyways, maybe N.F.C. or Maine Coon mix. I don't think you will even know for sure. Where did you find the N.F.C. Breeder at? I don't think a lot of great breeders advertize online. She might have just been some random lady who SAID she "breeds" cats so they are more likely to sell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the NFC breeder by going to the pet store, who also works with the animal shelter because they had a list of registered breeders. Because this is a small town (only 5 thousand) most of the registered breeder were in near by cities, and the only cat breeder was for NFC in town. They wouldn't give me the breeder's contact information because they knew that i was serious about purchasing one, and they didn't want me to harrass them. (I wouldn't have, I just would want to know if they were the ones who had the kittens... well I might have if i found out they were)

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blimey- how sad that such a cute kitten might have died...

tbh I'd pay for a cat of that quality- it looks like a Bengal to me but I'm not one to trust on this..

I think I'd be happy to own a cat so beautiful

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think both NFCs and MCs can be spotted. Longhair is recessive, so its not likely that the mom was a bengal (though a few bengals do carry for longhair). Its more likely that your kitty has MC or NFC in the mix somewhere. Its even more likely that he is a spotted DLH. However, I'm absolutely certain that he is 100% ADORABLE!!!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just like his name
He has the same name as my stud. I think it could be NFC, I don't know much about them, but you have a breeder near you, and some one had some that were half (breed kittens or some thing), mabey it was her, and your cat if half NFC. Can't you asked the frien to ask the friend to find out just the breed, mabey they will let you know that, if you don't know who thye breeder acually is. Just a thought.

I would be so embarrassed if I had a queen have a moggie litter, but I could never dream of dumping any cats/kittens at a shelter and at 3 weeks shame on that person (like Jen said, they can't really be called a breeder)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to hazard a guess at Pixie-bob.
Look at the size of that baby's feet!

Regardless, he's a very stunning guy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you said he likes water a lot, and seeing his beautiful ears and face shape, I'm inclined to think Turkish Angora or Van...

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons, Turkish Vans, Siamese, Bengals, OSHs, Rexs and I'm not sure how many other breeds, all seem to like water. I think its time we dispelled this myth that cats don't like water.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Maine Coons, Turkish Vans, Siamese, Bengals, OSHs, Rexs and I'm not sure how many other breeds, all seem to like water. I think its time we dispelled this myth that cats don't like water.
I have to agree. I'm pretty sure all cats like water...on their own terms.
There are some breeds of cats that like it on our terms as well.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I have to agree. I'm pretty sure all cats like water...on their own terms.
There are some breeds of cats that like it on our terms as well.
I agree with that, it's difficult to keep Radar dry! I get the 'herd of elephants' sound effects every time I turn on a tap. Brushing my teeth is impossible!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to find out through the line of people, but the first person who got the kittens works at the shelter, and supposedly they have a confidentiality thing when people drop of cats and kittens.. even though technically the person didn't give the kittens to the shelter, the "breeder" gave them to this person directly... However, this excuse i got from my bf's little sister who asked her friend to ask may just be a bunch of bull because obviously the first person knows and may be even friends with the 'breeder' and doesn't want me to get heated with them... so I don't know.

And about loving water.. well I haven't had a cat that liked water before, but Dante just seems to want to jump into any water he sees. One time he dumped my glass of water over just to stick his paws into it.

And thanks to everyone who has given their opinion on what breed he might be.. although its only feeding my curiousity (and desire to find the breeder)

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad they can't just give you the breed. He is a nice cat, so that should be good enough, you were lucky one fell in your hands. Try researching certain breeds mentioned and try to go with looks, charactoristics, ect, and try to figure it out, if you really want to know. That can be hard, not knowing what that breed is, not to mention what the father was I am still learning genetics, so I am not much help, I know.
I still love his name though, I had to change my signature so I had just Dante'
in it, LOL!

(can any one tell that in the post below is my Dante's son, LOL! Sorry, I just had to mention it now that I have changed my siggy and kluchetta posted after me again and has father and son in the two posts, LOL!)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

That's pretty cool - I didn't realize that. I guess some of my cats have liked water to paddle in, but never to just jump in, LOL. I once had a big huge black cat that would come RUNNING if he heard you in the bathroom. He even taught himself to flush!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I agree with that, it's difficult to keep Radar dry! I get the 'herd of elephants' sound effects every time I turn on a tap. Brushing my teeth is impossible!
Hehe I have this same problem. Bob has even jumped in the shower with me twice and he is just a DSH Grey/white tabby. His mother and sister also like water but they are mostly interested in the flush

OP that cat is very handsome. He might be small now but he looks like after a year or two he may become quite the tank.
I think MC take at least two years to get to their adult size.