NJ town wants to stop TNR efforts!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/middle...560.xml&coll=1
I do understand the neighborhood concerns, but wonder if discontinuing TNR is the only option - the article didn't outline what plans the TNR groups hope to be allowed to try for 60 days, and it didn't give any info. on the TNR groups (perhaps for their own safety?). Does anyone have any other links to this situation??
I know firsthand the prejudices that the TNR groups will face. The complaints of cats using gardens as a litter box has been around since cats first became domesticated. I've dealt with it myself - for me, the answer is simple - provide a large litter box with cheap clay litter! It's easier to clean a box than to fight the problem. But, ALAS, so many people would much prefer to complain, and spend $$$$$ in useless efforts to deter the problem.
In our area, the hanta virus threat [carried by the white-footed deer mouse that loves to live in outbuildings and brushy areas, not to mention LOVES to invade homes]certainly changed alot of minds about allowing feral cats to remain in the area.

What will it take to help out the cats in New Jersey???

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/middle...560.xml&coll=1
I do understand the neighborhood concerns, but wonder if discontinuing TNR is the only option - the article didn't outline what plans the TNR groups hope to be allowed to try for 60 days, and it didn't give any info. on the TNR groups (perhaps for their own safety?). Does anyone have any other links to this situation??
I know firsthand the prejudices that the TNR groups will face. The complaints of cats using gardens as a litter box has been around since cats first became domesticated. I've dealt with it myself - for me, the answer is simple - provide a large litter box with cheap clay litter! It's easier to clean a box than to fight the problem. But, ALAS, so many people would much prefer to complain, and spend $$$$$ in useless efforts to deter the problem.
In our area, the hanta virus threat [carried by the white-footed deer mouse that loves to live in outbuildings and brushy areas, not to mention LOVES to invade homes]certainly changed alot of minds about allowing feral cats to remain in the area.

What will it take to help out the cats in New Jersey???
It isn't enough for a TNR group to say...look, let us feed these cats and it will get better...without properly managed colonies and an understanding that not all neighbors are tolerant of cats using their yards as a litterbox..we cannot prove that TNR works. I was unable to read page 2 but I do hope that these cats were trapped/spayed/neutered and that the tame ones were put up for adoption with the feral ones being returned. I am a huge TNR advocate...but I can appreciate that if the city is getting more complaints....the city has to act. I think removing the TNR ordinance is the wrong approach....what would be the right approach is to have a TNR group step up and say..."I'll take those complaints"..and take that off of the city to handle.

Katie