Tricks for Treats!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since Ginger was a few months old, she and I have had a daily ritual. As soon as I have brushed my teeth in the morning, I scatter some treats around the house, starting in the kitchen and ending in the living room. the original intent was to make her hunt for them, getting some exercise while having a couple of nice treats.

I hide them in random boxes, behind things, on top of things, sometimes the same places and sometimes new places.

After Ferris joined the family, I continued my morning treat ritual, but now I have the added joy
of having to listen to Ferris beg pitifully for the morning treats, as he seems to think he won't get them otherwise.

Not long after Ferris got in on the game, Ginger decided to change things up a bit. I still scatter some treats here and there, still starting with the kitchen, but now it is a feline race to the living room to be the first one to "catch" the treats from meowmy as she tosses them to each kitty.

Ginger first started this really cute thing about 8 months ago where she would try to catch the treat in her paws, then stuff it into her mouth. She got SO good at it, that she now skips the paws, and tries to catch the treat with her mouth instead! And she's pretty darn good at it, too!
This morning, she went 3 for two, catching three of them in her mouth. (The other two bounced off her nose.
)

Ferris, being a little kitty see, kitty do kind of guy, decided a while back that he wants to try to catch the treats, too. So he makes a big show of it (you can almost hear him saying, "C'mon, Mom, I'm over here! Just toss one at me, I'll catch it, you just watch!"

While Ginger catches her treats from the top of the kitty condo in the living room, Ferris is relegated trying to catch them from the back of the couch in front of the kitty window seat. I'm sure he'd prefer the higher position of power, but he'll take what he can get.

I'll toss a treat at Ferris, and he gets into it with his entire body, leaping up and falling over to get that treat in his paws. Sometimes instead of catching them, he'll hit it with his paw like a bat, winging the treat right back at me!
Or, he'll catch it with both front paws, but then forget to catch HIMSELF as he goes tumbling down the front of the couch, or off the side of the window seat. But he gets that treat!

He hasn't quite figured out that he is supposed to eat them right away, as Ginger does. Instead, he prefers to try to catch as many as he can, and then eat them as I'm on my way out of the house. But he's young, and the game morphs over time, so as not to grow stale.

It is so cute to see my little treat-catchers play this game with me in the mornings!

Once upon a time, I forgot to do the treat thing one morning, before we had Ferris, and I came home later that afternoon to find that Ginger had gone on a destructive rampage in retalliation. So I'm sure to never forget to give out treats now, because I know what kind of trouble I'm facing if I don't! She taught ME a lesson that day!

Training humans is SO hard, but it can certainly be worth it!

Do any of your cats do tricks for treats, or do any of you have daily treat rituals that you MUST adhere to upon pain of punishment by your cat masters?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While i have my breakfast Rosie knows she'll get a few treats, so she sits on my knee and taps at my arm to get my attention because usually i'm watching breakfast t.v.. Then i'll look at her and put my face to the side of hers and say " Give mum a headbutt ".

Of course i get one and she gets her treats

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BF says I treat them like dogs, but they all have to sit and do 'squirells' for a treat, Bumper will also roll over and give you his paw on command, but only if you are holding a treat so he knows he will get one afterwards.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Once upon a time, I forgot to do the treat thing one morning, before we had Ferris, and I came home later that afternoon to find that Ginger had gone on a destructive rampage in retalliation. So I'm sure to never forget to give out treats now, because I know what kind of trouble I'm facing if I don't! She taught ME a lesson that day!
That cracked me up that is so funny!!!

Mine have never liked cat treats at all, I dont know why, but they just never did.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sneakers does a trick... She will "beg" for treats (sit up with her paws in the air.) Also when she wants a treat she runs into the bathroom upstairs and sits on top of this pyramid cat house thing we have and meows. My brother taught her that she has to be up on there if she wants a treat so she runs up onto the pyramid, then when he gets out a treat she stands up and begs on top of the pyramid. It's really cute! I am trying to teach her to "sit" on cue too.

I also found some treats that Sneakers is CRAZY about. I actually bought them for my dogs but they make a cat version too that's the same thing. They're called Wildside Salmon, it's 100% freeze dried salmon (little chunks.) She's been raiding my desk lately searching for them because I had a baggie here with some inside it. She really loves these things!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Madden dosen't get his breakfast by what he thinks is an appropriate hour (usually I have until about 8 am) he starts knocking things off of counters and shelves!
I've tried ingnoring this, but if that dosen't work then he will start beating on the bedroom door, or playing with the springy thing in the bathroom which is on the other side of the wall that is up against the bed. He has me trained well to at least get up and give him his breakfast if I want to sleep late!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH and if I neglect to give them treats, Boomer will find a bag, slice it open with a tooth and knock the treats out to be had by all! Its usually a really neat slice too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I've tried ingnoring this, but if that dosen't work then he will start beating on the bedroom door, or playing with the springy thing in the bathroom which is on the other side of the wall that is up against the bed.
Ah yes, the sproingy thing - I've been awakened by that very noise at 5 a.m. Get's your attention, doesn't it?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, your crew doesn't like treats?? Oh my, mine would be lost with out them! They're favorite is ones I get from the vet! Low cal!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Pam, your crew doesn't like treats?? Oh my, mine would be lost with out them! They're favorite is ones I get from the vet! Low cal!!
Mine love boiled chicken or when Im being lazy grilled chicken from the restaurant. I even have them cut them into tiny bite size cat pieces
but they have never taken to any of the treats I have bought at the store.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Ah yes, the sproingy thing - I've been awakened by that very noise at 5 a.m. Get's your attention, doesn't it?
Yes it does!! There is absolutely no way to go back to sleep when he starts playing with that thing!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, that sounds adorable!!

Trout doesn't even notice treats unless I put them directly in front of her nose, so if I hid them, they would stay hidden...shes a freak..LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

That is too cute!
You should really get that on video
Unfortunately, I have no method of videotaping.
I wish I did - you guys would laugh your behinds clean off.
Ferris was especially clownish this morning, bouncing all over the sofa, and Ginger decided to catch using her paws this morning - she caught all 6 treats I tossed her!

My gosh, I love those two...