Tape worm??

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not sure about the different types of worms... My kitten Osiris was wormed when he was younger in august. He is an indoor kit utd on shots etc... Today when he jumped up on my table (UGH) and stuck his butt in my face i saw in his hind fur what looked like rice( i know a certain worm as been described as looking like that) ... but it wasn't dried up it was soft moist and pliable.. could it have been something random stuck to his fur?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just looked up pictures of tapeworms and am most certain that this is what he has *sigh* are the chances pretty good that my other 3 cats have this as well? what is the RX for it? I hate going to this vet i have down here but have no choice until another is found

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats get tapes mainly from ingesting fleas. We would most likely recommend deworming all 3 cats, and make sure that they are on some type of flea prevention also.

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what de wormer would they rx? i am going to see if i can order from petmed.com

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU NEED to GET a STOOL SAMPLE to ENSURE what KIND of WORMS

TAPEWORMER CAN KILL a CAT the DOESNT HAVE THEm

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize that, there isnt a need to shout to make your point clear. I already bought the stool sample in to be looked at for further parasites,and the dr saw the specimen i saved when found, the doctor rx'd a one time pill.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasnt yelling just stressing... So glad you took in a sample

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I disagree that a normal dose of a dewormer given to a healthy cat that does not have tapeworms is a problem. If that were the case, the drug would not be on the market.
Droncit (praziquantel) is a safe drug. You can give it to your cat "just in case".
That being said, it is a prescription drug for a reason, and I would advise you to get it from your veterinarian. It's not expensive.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

I disagree that a normal dose of a dewormer given to a healthy cat that does not have tapeworms is a problem. If that were the case, the drug would not be on the market.
Droncit (praziquantel) is a safe drug. You can give it to your cat "just in case".
That being said, it is a prescription drug for a reason, and I would advise you to get it from your veterinarian. It's not expensive.
I should say that is what a number of VETs told me ... droncit covers many worms and likely is why you can give it to a healthy animal as a precaution ( THOU most vets are far more caustious about just giving out wormers
)

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A number of veterinarians have told you that if you give Droncit to a cat that does not have tapeworms, it could kill them?
I don't want to be argumentative, but this is simply not true.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

A number of veterinarians have told you that if you give Droncit to a cat that does not have tapeworms, it could kill them?
I don't want to be argumentative, but this is simply not true.
No that giving TAPEWOMER to a cat that doesnt have tapes is dangerous ... MY guess is they have personal experience ..There are OTC wormers out there that kill tapes so better dafe than sorry .... Of course the vet I use now DOESNT worm unless fecal or remains of worms are found so I dont worry about worming

this is what at least six different vets have told me... some of them evan okayed OTC roundworm treatments ...

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

i just looked up pictures of tapeworms and am most certain that this is what he has *sigh* are the chances pretty good that my other 3 cats have this as well? what is the RX for it? I hate going to this vet i have down here but have no choice until another is found
Hi,
The prescription for tapeworms is a (usually) one-time dose of droncit. If your vet has already seen your cat, you might not even need to take kitty in. When my pets have them, I just call my vet and ask if I can pick some up. They get tapeworms from fleas that are infected, so your other cats will probably get them as well. Do you use any frontline or other flea meds? You'll have to knock out the fleas (easier said than done, I know!) or the tapeworms will come back.
Hope this helps!
Stef

vlh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use fenbendazole to deworm my cat and my other dogs. Iris had tape when we got her. Took 3 doses spaced out of course to finally get rid of them all.