Teeth and Ear Cleaning today- now pupils are different sizes!

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my 10 year old Skye had his teeth and ears cleaned today and now one of his pupils is smaller than the other and the ear on that side is bothering him! I may be over reacting but I'm worried about him. Is this a normal side effect of the procedures? He was given anestesia (sp?) but he did have all the blood work done first just to be safe and all was good with that. I searched to forums and saw the stuff on Horner's Syndrome. His third eye lid isn't showing at all so I'm not sure. Any advice? Of course I will keep an eye on him and hopefully I am just being overly worried- but anyone had a similar experience?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call your vet? I would definitely get in touch and have them do a follow-up if the problem continues. It could be vestibular disease (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...r_disease.html) or a sign of something more serious. Sometimes the changes in pupils are a side effect of the anesthesia or pain medicine (Odo's eyes stayed dilated for a day or two after surgery), but it's better to be safe the sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise! I am planning on calling in the am if it doesn't look better. I will be soooooooo mad of they screwed him up cleaning his ears!!! grrrrr....

Thanks though!

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I just spoke to the vet and here is what he said...

He isn't too concerned about the eyes as that can happen (although it isn't common) from anestesia. They said he had a lot of wax build up and so his ears probably feel different. They said to watch him for the next couple of days and it should go away. I hate that I over react. I think I have spent too much time on here learning about cat illnesses and now I'm becoming a hypercat-driac!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Listen, you can not OVER react enough when things are happening to your baby.

You are a good Meowmy. Glad you caught the symptoms.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melanie&Nathan

Well I just spoke to the vet and here is what he said...

He isn't too concerned about the eyes as that can happen (although it isn't common) from anestesia. They said he had a lot of wax build up and so his ears probably feel different. They said to watch him for the next couple of days and it should go away. I hate that I over react. I think I have spent too much time on here learning about cat illnesses and now I'm becoming a hypercat-driac!
I SO know that feeling!!! lol, I hope your baby is ok!

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of ours had crazy eyes and extreme weakness after a sedative, and anesthesia can definitely cause the symptoms you're describing, in my experience. Has everything returned to normal?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think I have spent too much time on here learning about cat illnesses and now I'm becoming a hypercat-driac!
Welcome to the club.

I am a firm believer in the old saying...
"better safe than sorry."

I am sending lots of vibes that your sweetie is OK.

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Thanks for the well wishes!

His eyes are normal, but I think the Clavamox is making him sick. He is sleeping alot and not playing and I found him throwing up once and I have found a couple of puke puddles around the house. As soon as I come near him with the dropper he starts drooling. And this is even before I give it to him! Then once I give it to him he runs around the house for 10 minutes drooling. I want to stop giving it to him, but I won't risk an infection from the cleaning. Monday can't come soon enough... He hates me

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I wasn't sure I saw him eat yesterday, but I wasn't positive. So today I did the wetfood routine (you know- tell every one it's time for wetfood and they all come running and crying from where ever they are) and he didn't come. So I went and found him and brought him out. I gave him his portion and he just sniffed it, licked his lips and stared at it. Then he walked away! I just called the vet because that is sooo not like him. I hope it's just the meds and they let me take him off... I'll keep you updated. Please send some vibes that my little piggy starts eating and it's nothing more than the meds...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So today I did the wetfood routine (you know- tell every one it's time for wetfood and they all come running and crying from where ever they are) and he didn't come.
When my babies are on Clavamox they don't feel well but it does not stop them from eating.
You were wise to notify you vet....
let us know what you find out.
Lots of healing vibes are on the way.

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I spoke with the vet and she said it could be from the meds- that some cats are more sensitive than others. I could try to change to another antibiotic but it's hard to say. She said to try to get him to eat- that is the most important... So I tried tuna and he had a little. He did try to smack it at first- like he didn't know what it was. I am wondering if maybe I could have cut his mouth on a tooth when I was trying to get it open. He really will not let me get his mouth open to give him the meds...

Any tips on how you guys do it would be good! Luckily I have a syringe that I use instead of the dropper so it squirts in really quick- but getting his mouth open is the problem...

I am going to keep an eye on him tonight and keep offering him tuna. If he eats it and keeps it down then he will be on tuna till Monday. If he won't eat anymore tonight I'll take him in tomorrow to see the vet.

Thanks for the vibes, please keep them coming!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our babies can be such a worry...
You might try some baby food meat that does not have garlic or onion in it.
When I used the liquid drops...
I would just lay Dexter down on his side and slip the dropper tip into the side of his mouth and squirt.
I had to sneak the bottle with the dropper and put it by the bad all ready to go because if Dexter saw it...
he did this....

My thoughts are with you.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start by putting a little food on a plastic spoon. Let him sniff it. If he refuses, touch a little of the food to his nose. Usually they will lick it off their nose and realize that maybe food isn't so bad--sometimes you can get them started eating again this way.

If that doesn't work, you may have to syringe feed. Try to pick a food that isn't his favorite, because he may never touch it again.
Suck it up in the syringe and slowly squirt it in the side of his mouth, like you're squirting on to or across his tongue. You don't want to squirt it down the throat because there is a risk he could aspirate (inhale) the food that way. The idea is to get the food on his tongue so he swallows it himself.

If the not eating continues, as your vet about an appetite stimulant. You can also try warming the food--it enhance the aroma and sometimes can get them to eat on their own.

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he is eating tuna today and is being more active. He isn't eating his dry food though. Could his teeth be sensitive from the cleaning? He is definitely feeling better today though... only 2 more days of meds to go...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His mouth may definitely still be sore. My vet has said they have no idea how long cats continue to feel pain after extractions--some people say it's as long as 2 months when deep-rooted teeth have been pulled. As long as he's still eating, that's a good sign.