Scratching up the floor!

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been driving me crazy! Hes over a year old, outside-inside cat (sleeps with me in my room overnight) and lately I just can't get to sleep. Every so often, he'll go to the door and start scratching up the carpet till i get up and scold him. Then he'll do it again. Eventually i'll give in and give him more food, but...how do I get him to stop it???? Yeah, he's spoiled and i'm pretty sure he's manipulating me. I don't want to let him outside at night because I only see him from about 7pm-6am(when he wakes me up to let him out), the rest of the day he's out and about. So what can I do? I can't put anything where he usually scratches cause then he'll scratch around that.

Also, he seems to be more aggressive towards me lately. Sometimes he'll be really nice and sweet and sometimes he's just a huge jerk. Usually when i pet him or pick him up, he'll latch on to my arm or try and claw me. I just dont know what to do. Catnip doesn't even help anymore. Anyone have suggestions??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried those small shoe box size corrugated cardboard scratchers? Some come with catnip in them and I have them all over the house to satisfy Persi's scratching desires. He also has a scratching post but he seems to prefer those simple boxes available at any pet store. They do not cost much, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Persi,

Yes i tried it and he didn't like it
He also has a little scratching post that sits beside my bed that he uses. I'm sure he just does this because either he wants out of my room or wants more food (even though I give him enough already). I'm not allowed to let him wander the house at night what with all the things he likes to scratch and whatnot, so he just stays in my room.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a question is he neutered because those sound alot like the behaviors of an unneutered tomcat. Tell us if he is neutered or not so we can go from there okay. Hope it gets better.

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Okay I have a question is he neutered because those sound alot like the behaviors of an unneutered tomcat. Tell us if he is neutered or not so we can go from there okay. Hope it gets better.
Yup, he's been neutured since March

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OKay I wanted to get that out of the way first since the hormones caused behaviors but since he's neutered its not that. How old is he ? and how old was he when he was taken from his mom and how long has he been doing this stuff. I am trying to get more information so can get down to the bottom of his behaviors.
Also he may not like being picked up he may like to be petted on his terms. I had a cat who would bite if you petted him when he didn't want you too. I am not quite certain about the scratching other than maybe trying to get a longer scratching pad.

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

OKay I wanted to get that out of the way first since the hormones caused behaviors but since he's neutered its not that. How old is he ? and how old was he when he was taken from his mom and how long has he been doing this stuff. I am trying to get more information so can get down to the bottom of his behaviors.
Also he may not like being picked up he may like to be petted on his terms. I had a cat who would bite if you petted him when he didn't want you too. I am not quite certain about the scratching other than maybe trying to get a longer scratching pad.
So, he was born July 19, 2005, we still have his mom, but I left for Boston August 20 '05 and shortly after that, he and his mom left and didnt come back again till January (the time I came back home). I would suppose he's been doing this since I started giving him less food, even though he pretty much guilts me into giving him more.. I used to have his food right by where he eats but when I started to feed him less, he would try and rip the bag open, so i put it in the closet by my bedroom.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a food issue - you are rewarding his scratching by eventually giving in and feeding him. My instinct is that you need to have fixed mealtimes and not waver! Is there anything you can use to cover the area he normally scratches at? A carpet offcut or a doormat, something like that? Hopefully he will learn that you will not give in and feed him because he is scratching.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless he is fat, what is wrong with feeding him when he wants to eat? Why can't you leave out dry food for him? My cat often eats during the night. Why did you say you are giving him less food?

Also, he clearly doesn't sound happy being locked in your room all night long. My cat will sleep in the room under the bed for a while but certainly not for 8 hours. Many cats like to wander the house at night.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He scratches at the bedroom door to get out or the door of the house to go outside? Put a piece of carpet under the door so he ruins that and not the actual carpet. Or even some sort of plastic mat.

I agree that if he isn't overweight, try free feeding him. He may scarf it down at first but get a feeder where you fill it up and leave it for days before having to refill it. Watch how he eats for a few days with it. Give it a little time and stopp free feeding if he goes through the food really fast. In other words, it may take him a little while to realize that the food will always be there and he doesn't have to worry.

Secondly, if you don't want to try free feeding, you have to stop feeding him when he is scratching the floor. You are rewarding him for scratching the floor and he will never stop of you keep it up.

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

Unless he is fat, what is wrong with feeding him when he wants to eat? Why can't you leave out dry food for him? My cat often eats during the night. Why did you say you are giving him less food?

Also, he clearly doesn't sound happy being locked in your room all night long. My cat will sleep in the room under the bed for a while but certainly not for 8 hours. Many cats like to wander the house at night.
Yes, he is fat. You cant really tell when his walking, but when hes sitting or laying down, you can def. tell. And he's pretty dang heavy

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

He scratches at the bedroom door to get out or the door of the house to go outside? Put a piece of carpet under the door so he ruins that and not the actual carpet. Or even some sort of plastic mat.

I agree that if he isn't overweight, try free feeding him. He may scarf it down at first but get a feeder where you fill it up and leave it for days before having to refill it. Watch how he eats for a few days with it. Give it a little time and stopp free feeding if he goes through the food really fast. In other words, it may take him a little while to realize that the food will always be there and he doesn't have to worry.

Secondly, if you don't want to try free feeding, you have to stop feeding him when he is scratching the floor. You are rewarding him for scratching the floor and he will never stop of you keep it up.
Sorry, he scratches the bedroom door carpet. But yeah, he is a overweight. Thanks for the suggestions though

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok um not to state the obvious but is there a reason you can't leave the bedroom door open so there is nothing to scratch? Sorry if I missed something and you already said...

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I said this in my first reply:
"I'm not allowed to let him wander the house at night what with all the things he likes to scratch and whatnot, so he just stays in my room."

But I think i will let him tonight. He's only peed in the house once so i think he will be fine, i'm just hoping he doesnt mess around with our christmas tree and stuff.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oops sorry, ya I remember reading that now.

hmm I don't know what else to say. If he were an indoor cat I would say Soft Claws definately, but I don't know that you would want those on an outdoor cat. So hmm, I don't know.

doomkittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are those removable? So like, when i let him out i can take them off? Or permanent? Thanks