Bengal mix maybe??

teri9672

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently found a litter of kittens at a local shelter for a friend.
He was wanting a kitten since he lost custody of his 3 cats in the divorce.

He chose a male and a female from a litter they had found in a field.
Estimated age is 7-8 weeks.

Was wondering if the male could be a bengal mix?
He has unusual markings. He is more of a marbled color.
He also has 2 distinct stripes down his back and spots on the belly.

He's much larger than his sister. His weight on Saturday was 2lbs-6oz and his fuzzy grey sister was 1lb-9oz.

He is lighting fast and loves to climb.

Here's a few pics of Sport.

and here's the female Shelby being held by my Hubby (who wanted to take her home for himself)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very unusual to find a silver classic tabby out in the wild. Looks like someone's pet silver got out

But he's not a bengal - just a Silver Classic Tabby.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What gorgeous kitties
Your friend will be so blessed to have such beautiful new furbabies. That Shelby looks like she has some Maine Coon, but maybe it's persian - I'm not a breeder
The MCs are my favorite breed at the cat shows; I love the big round paws, the triangular, close-set ears, the boxy muzzle - and dear little Shelby does have all those

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Very unusual to find a silver classic tabby out in the wild. Looks like someone's pet silver got out

But he's not a bengal - just a Silver Classic Tabby.
Are they really that unusual? God we had TONS of them when I worked at the shelter. That color and some with more brown too, but that silver gray color with the brownish on the legs was really common.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Are they really that unusual? God we had TONS of them when I worked at the shelter. That color and some with more brown too, but that silver gray color with the brownish on the legs was really common.
ya same here thats the most common cats i see on the sites to some of the shelter, more with brown tho and also alot of orange babies

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silvers can have brown tarnishings, and sometimes you have browns with other shades. I'd have to see him in person as some of the pictures he looks silver, some brown.

Silver may be in the background but not strong - just enough to produce off colors

First picture looks brown tabby, 2nd one looks silverish

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he's not a bengal...just a standard breed, non-pedigree classic brown tabby. Although, it's very important to remember that with cat breeding, non-pedigree cats are NOT mixes of established breeds. Rather, pedigree cats singled out the characteristics of and use non-pedigree cats in the development of their breeds (obviously, established breeds don't use non-peds when the breed is established, however). So basically, all a breed is is a specific collection of traits that breeders attempt to standardize that were originally taken from the non-pedigree populace. Any trait or color you can find in a pedigree you can find in a standard breed, but it lacks all of the attempts at predictability and gaurantee in looks and temperment that breeders try to make. Does that make sense?

Standard bred tabbies WERE originally used in the development of the bengal breed
As far as the personality...well, they're all lightening fast and they'll climb and get into everything. That's the fun of being a kitten!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Standard bred tabbies WERE originally used in the development of the bengal breed
Only a very few in the very begining. The most frequently used cats were Abbysinians, E. Maus and ASHs.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say most likly not. He is a classic tabby. The pattern is much too vertically aligned to be a marble bengal. Almost all classic, spotted, and mackeral tabbies have spotted bellies. That feature in no way proves that he is a bengal.
He has a very pretty face though! I'd say he's definately a keeper =0)

Here's a picture of a marble bengal pattern:
http://www.littleleopardcats.com/ima..._storm_005.jpg

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't look Bengal to me, but his markings are gorgeous. He's a very dramatically marked brown classic tabby. I actually thought he might be silver at first just from a glance but the brown colouring gave it away. They're both brown tabbies actually.

::loves tabbies::