Tenth Life No-Kill Cat Shelter: Week 4

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This week's kitty census is from Room H, where there are amazingly only two pairs of cats, out of fifteen total cats, which I can't tell apart. They're all beautiful; I want to take them all home (especially Elsie); and I can't take any of them home. *sigh*

Room H Cats
The presence of a nice color variety and detailed descriptions written on the white board by some conscientious volunteer mean I may, if I figure out those last two pairs of cats, actually be able to know all the cats in a single room on sight! I've seen long-term volunteers look into a random room and just say hi to a bunch of cats by name... me being able to do that with just one room might be nice.
Ralph greets me at the door of the room.
Aptly-named Puff, a gray tiger with lovely soft fur, has his front paws up on my knee in this picture. He's the first to greet anyone who enters his room, and loves human contact. His favorite petting spot is just behind the ears and down the sides of the head.
The poor quality of this photo (my apologies) hides a truly beautiful tortie. Momma Cressel is shy enough to hide under the chairs most of the time; but she doesn't mind a bit of contact. In a quiet environment, she might warm up to human friendship.
Marcia's plush fur and quiet demeanor tells me she is probably in her teens. She sits in her chair, snoozing or watching the other cats quietly, and doesn't mind occasional greetings by a friendly human. She looks annoyed in this picture--that's because I've been wiggling my fingers above her head to try to get her too look at the camera!
Kay's a female, but she looks an awful lot like she has a goatee! She's one of the shy ones.
These are two of the cats I can't tell apart--Francis and Russel, both orange tigers. The cat in the foreground, who's looking straight at the camera, has the more well-defined stripes, and is also the more friendly and playful, and probably younger, of the two. He and I had quite a bit of fun with a jingle ball. (That's Kay in the background.)
Here are those two cats again separately...
Cat one...
...and cat two.
Big Ed's crimped ear makes him the most distinctive cat in Room H. He's a confident, demanding boy, reaching a paw out to a nearby volunteer from his post at the top of the cat tree. He loves to have his head scratched, but hates to be picked up. This picture shows him stepping forward for attention, as usual!
From left to right: Gracie, Elsie, and Frisky. Gracie has only one eye, which makes her look as though she's always winking. She hates having her head touched, but she purrs up a storm whenever you pet her back--I bet she had her head touched a lot when she lost her eye, and it's bad memories for her. Elsie is an all-around friendly cat who actually stood and bumped my nose with hers when I leaned down to see her! Frisky is a little more shy and prefers not to be touched.
Here's a really good picture of Frisky... look at those eyes, and the beautifully symmetrical black mask!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job with your report and photos, Callista. I've missed you!

Good work you are doing there! Beautiful kits!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Great job with your report and photos, Callista. I've missed you!

Good work you are doing there! Beautiful kits!
Heh. Trust me, this is work anybody could do. I'm just looking at your sig with all those cats, and it's just about the same thing you must do every day!!

They are beautiful, aren't they? Even lopsided Big Ed and one-eyed Gracie...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great pics - they really show the personalities of the cats! And I actually like Big Ed and Gracie's unique features - I'm sorry for what they went through, but those are badges of honor for cats who've "been through it" and still dain to socialize with us humans! It gives them real character. Thanks for the great work that your doing!
Sending {{{{find a forever happy home prayers and vibes}}}} for all the kitties there, esp. Big Ed and Gracie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.
the pix are great, but i really enjoy reading your descriptions. you have such a great way with words. i'm hoping you're planning to do something literary as a career? like journalism, writing novels, etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm seriously considering being a veterinary technician, actually, although being a physicist is not far behind. I think I wouldn't have the discipline to write regularly... If I become a writer, I'd much rather do it on the side so it doesn't become my livelihood. Having to write would take all the joy out of it!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just found this thread by clicking on a link in your signature and following through your 'story'

thankyou for taking the time to photograph all of these beautiful kitties and giving us an insight into their personalities. They are all simply adorable

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of respect for those who volunteer in animal shelters, and I'm glad this one is a no-kill shelter. There seems to be only one shelter in Singapore, the SPCA, and they do euthanize animals who cannot be adopted.. Very sad indeed. Great pix and great descriptions of each cat's unique and loving personality! But most of all, great job and kudos to you and the fellow volunteers who care for these cats!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I always love to see your posts........all those special kits
I think I´d have to have the Orange Tigers they are so handsome or Ralph or Big Ed....oh heck, just love them all...........
they are so precious !! Heres sending {{{{{{ vibes }}}}}} for happy forever homes whizzing to you all

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callista, if you don't mind me asking....when will be able to find a place that would allow you to have a cat? All those kitties are gorgeous & you give them such wonderful write-ups.....I can only imagine how pampered your own cat would be!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wonderful kitties you have shared with us...I hope they all find their furr-ever homes very soon.

And Huggles, your baby (Jasmine) is absolutely beautiful...she could be a Gerber model!