Yuck, dry skin!!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter always dries my skin out so bad...usually I just get a bunch of peeling skin, but this year, my hands are starting to dry and crack, and it itches like crazy! Its like a bunch of tiny little papercuts all over my hands!
Does anyone else go through this, and what do you do for it? Lotion isn't doing enough, it seems. Any suggestions?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alligator skin
Mine is peeling now I have had allergies so bad from terrible winds my whole face and nose are peeling I think just from blowing my nose so much

What I do if you have any cotton gloves? or if you don't you can get them at walmart in the cosmetic dept and put Vaseline on your hands and and wear the gloves to bed with it on there. It works better then lotion, and I also use Neutrogena hand cream it's kinda like vaseline but not greasy. I look like I've been through a war my hands are alway's a mess and then they crack and burn and get all rough and the everything sticks to them it's awlful .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've definately considered the gloves. I didn't realize how bad my hands were until earlier today. The Vaseline sounds awfully greasy....the Neutrogena sounds less messy. :-) Thanks for the suggestions!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you just sleep with in on at night and wash it off in the morning, your skin really absorbs most of it and you won't notice it when your sleeping, I use the other during the day.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My hands have started to do that since about 2 years ago. I dip my hands in molten parrafin wax about once a week or so when it gets bad. I take hot baths too and make sure my hands get a good soaking, and then some Vaseline Intensive Care right after coming out to keep the moisture locked in.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

What I do if you have any cotton gloves? or if you don't you can get them at walmart in the cosmetic dept and put Vaseline on your hands and and wear the gloves to bed with it on there. It works better then lotion, and I also use Neutrogena hand cream it's kinda like vaseline but not greasy.
My mom swears by that!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sandtigress, I know what you mean! I have moderate eczema, and am surviving finally! I used to have to get injections of steroids every 6wks for it to be calm to clear. But now that I am not living with family there are several things I can do, all dermatologist suggested too btw.

1. only take a shower every other day, maximum. you can still soap up in the sink with a wash cloth, but do not get your whole body wet in the shower. A shower severely dries out skin & scalp, only wash hair every other day, maximum.

2. wash all of your clothes, linens, etc in "free" type detergent, I love All Free & Clear, it reduces all allergens, even pet allergens, and has NO irritants or fragrances that dry & irritate skin.

3. wash your hands when necessary, wear gloves for cleaning & doing dishes.

4. only wear white socks, the dye's and chemicals used in colored dye's can dry out your feet & toes. no panyhose or tights! (I wear tights with boots, so I put on white socks 1st & then tights!
)

5. cream not lotion. I use a vaseline intensive therapy cream on my feet (that's the worst part for me), it's in a white tube, with a blue cap. It's heavy, so you don't need a lot and you have to do alot of rubbing in. Also, when you do get a shower, use cream everywhere within 3-5 minutes of getting out of the water, while still inside the humid bathroom. This way your pores are still open to soak in the cream.

6. get a humidifier, this will help your breathing and coughing and dry skin.

I hope this will help you! I have had eczema SO bad that my skin was blistered, cracked & peeling....it's very painful. But I am managing without steroids by following these steps....it's extra work, but it's worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great information! I'm going to have to go the store later today, it seems.
What's the difference between cream and lotion?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutrogena emulsion has kept my eczema at bay for YEARS. I swear by the stuff - apply immediately after a shower and it lasts for HOURS.