Ohh boy she is angry!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just took in a poor 12 year old kitty whose owners had since she was 4 weeks old. Couldn't keep her because they moved into an apartment complex that doesn't allow cats. They signed the lease without asking first and begged and pleaded with the landlord but he said no. The lady was crying and I felt so bad, couldn't imagine giving up my babies especially after 12 years.

She is very cute and spayed and declawed too unfortunately. But BOY is she one scared, pissed off cat. It is totally understandable though. She has never even seen another cat her whole life and she will not let me even say her name (Cuddles) without growling and almost screaming. My cat came in behind me before and she screamed.

I have her in my bedroom. With her food, litter, bowl and litterbox. Luckily the owners gave me everything of hers. I have the tv on, but otherwise it is calm in here. She is hiding behind my bed or behind the curtain on the windowsill. She screams/growls/hisses when I move around the room.

Poor baby. Any advice on getting her settled? If she doesn't come out to eat (she was free fed here whole life) or drink, how long can that go on before I have to start worrying?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be difficult but you are going to have to build a trusting relationship with her yourself before you introduce your kitty again. She needs something and especially someone she can trust, I am sure it is completely over whelming for her! Goodluck......Let us know.....

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can her former owners come and visit with her? Maybe that would help get her settled, if she sees them there, and smells them there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen others suggest something called "Feliway". I'm not really sure what it is or where you buy it, but it helps with stress from what I've read here.

The poor baby's world has been turned upside down. Everything she knew and loved it gone except for her possessions, but she's feeling abandoned and a foreigner in another kitty's territory.

I agree, keep your other kitty away until you can build a bond of trust between you and Cuddles. Sit in the room and read out loud. Put treats on the ground a few feet away from you. Entice her with a fishing pole like toy. Let her approach you instead of you trying to get to her. If she likes to be brushed, hold the brush out to her and talk about your day or the weather, basically anything so she can hear your voice.

Also, you say she's hiding behind the bed and under the curtains, maybe put in a box or the carrier (leave the door open) with something she came with (IE: a towel or blanket). She might feel safer in a more confined area. If she doesn't have a towel with her old family's scent on it, can you ask them for one? It will give her comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is out exploring the room. But growling the whole time. She is very interested and curious. The tip of her tail swishes. She is really cute just really cautious. She came up to me behind me on the bed and when I realized she was there she yowled. At least she is active and interested and not cowering in the corner.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, screwed this one up! Relized to late!
[/quote]I agree, keep your other kitty away until you can build a bond of trust between you and Cuddles. Sit in the room and read out loud. Put treats on the ground a few feet away from you. Entice her with a fishing pole like toy. Let her approach you instead of you trying to get to her. If she likes to be brushed, hold the brush out to her and talk about your day or the weather, basically anything so she can hear your voice.

.[/quote]
Absolutely!!! Love that someone else said this!!!!Talking to our pets is so essential! Even if you are in the same room doing something that has nothing to do with her, talk to her, it really does work!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I agree, keep your other kitty away until you can build a bond of trust between you and Cuddles. Sit in the room and read out loud. Put treats on the ground a few feet away from you. Entice her with a fishing pole like toy. Let her approach you instead of you trying to get to her. If she likes to be brushed, hold the brush out to her and talk about your day or the weather, basically anything so she can hear your voice.
So happy someone else said this, talking to her is so important!!! We may look crazy talking to our pets, but it truely helps build a close trusting relationship!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

So happy someone else said this, talking to her is so important!!! We may look crazy talking to our pets, but it truely helps build a close trusting relationship!
I have whole conversations with my cats, LOL I get fainting spells so when I'm in the kitchen doing dishes or cooking I'm sitting down. My cats love to come in there and flop on the floor and listen to me talk to them. Abby roams around rubbing her body against my legs and talking up a storm to me. We have quite the conversation, hehe

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did not give me a blanket but I will ask them for one. I will also pick up some Feliway tomorrow and see if that will work.

I talk to her constantly so far, she has only been here 6 hours but ya I talk to her and say her name even though she just growls.

She comes out and does a few laps and sniffs things and then goes back behind the bed or under the curtain. I think it is just her safe spot. I am sure she will slowly come out more and more. She laid on the bed a few minutes even, a little bit ago.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that much activity from her in 6 hours is a pretty good sign. My Billy didn't come out for at least two days when I first got him. I actually spent the night on the couch the first night because I didn't want to scare him in the bedroom. Be patient with her and don't push her, I think she'll be just fine. She'll probably eat and drink a little while you're not in the room, and in a few days at the most, I'm sure she'll warm up to you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok cool. she just suprised me and walked up to me and stood up on her back legs to growl at me to my face hehe. then she went and sat about 3 feet from me, facing me. I held out a treat to her and she sniffed it for awhile and then I put a few on the group near her. She sniffed those and then ran back behind the curtain on the windowsill. She laid on my pillow for a few minutes too.

She'll be fine, but I feel so bad for her. I am just at my computer and I am talking to her and saying her name a lot. But I am not really looking at her and I am definately not approaching her.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

ok cool. she just suprised me and walked up to me and stood up on her back legs to growl at me to my face hehe. then she went and sat about 3 feet from me, facing me. I held out a treat to her and she sniffed it for awhile and then I put a few on the group near her. She sniffed those and then ran back behind the curtain on the windowsill. She laid on my pillow for a few minutes too.

She'll be fine, but I feel so bad for her. I am just at my computer and I am talking to her and saying her name a lot. But I am not really looking at her and I am definately not approaching her.
That is a great sign! She is really lonely and confused, and telling you. She wants interaction, help, guidance, as well as telling you she's pretty upset with the situation at hand! Just take some time to allow her to trust you and wait a while before introducing your kitty. You will feel when the time is ready.....

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that reminds me of Isis...just talkative and was voicing her miscontentment the whole time..for a few days. I think you are doing everything you can do for her and it will just take time. She's still not happy with the other cats but we're getting there. She doesn't understand why this is happening.
I hope it all goes well with you and the new kitty!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope the poor old girl settles well. After 12 years I'd be throwing a fit too!
I hope her owners are OK with this......it must royally stink for them.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to tell you guys that Cuddles is a little bit better. She ate a few bites of her food and went to the bathroom. I am a bit worried becasue she isn't eating much and I don't think she drank anything at all.

I am going to warm up some wet food for her right now and see if she will eat that. I was able to scratch her head once then she freaked out again. I am not pushing it but she pretty much stopped growling when I say her name.

The owner was supposed to bring her blanket over tonight but never showed. So we'll see.