Inbreeding

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys! It's been absolutely forever since I've written and I apologize but let's get right down to business.

Darrell and I were offered a free siamese kitten. They will be ready soon after Christmas. So we though great! we always wanted a siamese. They're acutally more Himalayan than Siamese but whatever, gorgeous cats anyway - but... the owner has a female and she kept the male runt from her THIRD litter. Then those two mated, she thinks, and now there are four kittens. The father was born without a left ear, which makes me speculate whether the father is her grandson rather than just her son which would make the kittens either her grandchildren or her great grandchildren. EW! So now I'm really really hesitant on whether to adopt one of these precious little guys based on my speculations. What if they have serious health problems? Apparently the probable father is SO stupid (she says) he used to pee in his food and eat his litter.

It makes me so upset and frustrated. Why doesn't she get them fixed? Why can't people own up to what problems they cause.

Anyways that's not the question... what do you guys think of the possible inbreeding? Should I risk it? I have four other cats. Oh, and they have fleas my husband said on the way home.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Kitties.

I think that you should try politely talking to he about what she's doing. Maybe you can convince her to get them all spayed and neutered so that this won't keep happening.

As for the kitten. Go there and check out the kittens for yourself. If there are obvious genetic defects from inbreeding then you may want to stear clear of getting one. It all depends on whether you can financially take on the risk that your little guy may have health problems his entire life. If the kittens are in terrible conditions or bad things are going on, you may want to consider reporting her. Good Luck.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! One neighbor I had growing up the two dogs that bred were brother/sister.

We did adopt our family dog from them (which was very healthy and lived a long life), but she was one out of 6 that survived.

If I were you I would ask your local vet to come and take a look at the kitten you're interested in before you do or don't take her home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding you guys.

I have seen the kitties. This evening actually. They looked really healthy and the conditions weren't very bad at all, considering. Even the "possible" parents looked really healthy. I'm just worried that if there is a definite, even obvious possibility that the father is her son, then there is another possibility that he is not only the female son, but possibly her grandson... probably not though because that is the only male in the house and she 'says' that he is her son. It just seems so wrong. I mean if she were keeping them with their reproductive organs for pure-breeding then I understand why she hasn't gotten them fixed, but if she's just lazy... it makes me
The kittens are soo cute. The runt looks as if it were a couples of days old, rather than a couple of weeks. The others are fluffy and heathy.

Could these kittens have serious mental problems if they are inbred so much? It's not like they have a third eye or anything, they look good... but looks don't matter much if they will eventually show real problems down the line.

I don't think I'm going to adopt one. That's really sad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know it is really hard to say. But I would definately look up some low cost neutering places in your area and politely give them to her. Talk to her and tell her that you are worried since they are or could possibly be inbred. Tell her your concern, the health risks and that is it really unhealthy to let them inbred and hopefully she will realize this is a serious thing and her cats need to be fixed.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya I'll call a couple of places tomorrow. But you know how people are when they believe they aren't doing anything wrong...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not pay her for a kitten- and the reason is, paying her will only encourage her to continue her horrid "breeding" program. She is not a responsible breeder- she is a back yard breeder. Those cats should have never been allowed to be fully intact, let alone breed. I would not support her irresponsibility by paying money to her- this will only encourage her to continue irresponsibly breeding cats and trying to make money off of them. Instead, I would offer to potentially adopt one of the kittens if you see fit and require her to foot any medical expenses and spay/netuter fee if you wind up adopting one. I would also try and give her the number to several local low cost spay/neuter clinics and insist that she have the animals altared to prevent any future litters. If she is not willing to be responsible and take care of her animals and prevent future inbreeding, let alone any future litters at all- i would seriously consider reporting her to animal control and let them know that she is inbreeding her cats to try and sell them.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I would not pay her for a kitten- and the reason is, paying her will only encourage her to continue her horrid "breeding" program. She is not a responsible breeder- she is a back yard breeder. Those cats should have never been allowed to be fully intact, let alone breed. I would not support her irresponsibility by paying money to her- this will only encourage her to continue irresponsibly breeding cats and trying to make money off of them. Instead, I would offer to potentially adopt one of the kittens if you see fit and require her to foot any medical expenses and spay/netuter fee if you wind up adopting one. I would also try and give her the number to several local low cost spay/neuter clinics and insist that she have the animals altared to prevent any future litters. If she is not willing to be responsible and take care of her animals and prevent future inbreeding, let alone any future litters at all- i would seriously consider reporting her to animal control and let them know that she is inbreeding her cats to try and sell them.
I believe the first post says they have the chance to get a "free" kitten, so there fore she isn't "supporting" this woman, and stated that the peson is just lazy, I am assuming she isn't really breeding, or selling? That is the problem with "free" every one wants some thing for nothing, but some times just because they start out being free doesn't mean that it won't end up costing a fortune in the long run, why else is the person giving them away? (most the time their is some thing wrong with it, in this case, they are inbreeds)
How can you "make some one foot any medical bills" on a free kitten? It all sounds good as a theory, but I don't think some one is just giving kittens away, and then are going to pay vet bills/shots/neutering, ect... that's why they are free, and you pay your own vet bills. If the OP doesn't take it, or requires the person to "foot the medical" then they will wind up finding some one else to take a "free siamese" or dump it in the streets or shelters, or worse, end up being the next generation of inbreeding parents, IMO

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends has 2 Siamese cats that were born to a brother and sister, and so far they haven't had any health problems. They are 1-2 years old.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya that's what I was worried about... what are the chances that the kitten will cost me huge in the long run if it is free now?

I think I've decided on not adopting the kitten, which is sad because what else is in store for that little one. Would I be encouraging the lady to not spay and neuter because it is so easy to get rid of the kittens?

Who are we to say that none of our cats are inbred?? How do we know when we pick them up from the shelter?? Could be the exact same thing that's happening to me now with this lady but all we get to see is the end of it when we see them in the cages and assume that their parents didn't know each other. All of my cats could be inbred then.... senseless arguement, I know.

I think if they're free or not, adopting one will encourage her to keep doing it whether she benefits financially or not . Either way it's easy for her to get rid of the kittens - they're gorgeous!!! And so are the parents!!!. I totally would have adopted one if she had not told me that the "possible" father was her son from her third litter. The cats don't know any better but we, as humans, do.

When I talk to my friend who knows her, I'll drill her for answers. It's totally irresponsible of her friend to allow this to happen. And kinda irresponsible for her to allow it and not say anything. Life is different here though... Lots of barn cats and outside cats. I can look out the window and identify a few of the neighbors cats. I could never do that in Victoria, BC. Different ideas here.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.