Where to place cat condo?

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone, I still won't get my bengal for another month, but I wanted to ask about where I should place the cat condo, I live alone in a pretty large apartment, I plan to restrict the cat to one part of the apartment, which contains a hallway and 2 bedrooms and a coat closet, one of the bedrooms will be locked, so he can roam around the hallway and a room I'll have ready for him, and the coat closet that would have his litter box.

Now when I'm home, I spend most of my time in the living room, and of course I would like him be there as well. But I'm wondering, where should I put the condo, in his part of the apartment when I'm out, or in the living room?

thanks

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is your cat condo? We have a "two-holer" and it sits right under a window in the living room. She can be with us and have her own little perch and also be able to look out the window and see what is going on...cats love windows....I guess it is their version of TV

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

How big is your cat condo? We have a "two-holer" and it sits right under a window in the living room. She can be with us and have her own little perch and also be able to look out the window and see what is going on...cats love windows....I guess it is their version of TV
the one I plan to get for my cat is a 78" high condo, and in both cases, it will be in front of a window, whether it be in my living room, or his little "playroom"

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is a tall condo. You have a lucky kitty. I think that if you can put it in front of a window in the room where you spend most of your time, that would probably be best. Marcie always has to be exactly where I am (even to the point where she is under my feet!) and so her condo is right next to the window within arm's reach of my end of the recliner.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Next to a window is probably your best bet. But if you put it next to a window in his play room try to put other sturdy furniture nearby, close enough for a challenging jump from piece to piece. That way in addition to sleeping happily on it he can use it for his insane runs through the house (as I imagine most young cats do).

I have mine in my bedroom on my side of the bed against the window and about 1 meter away from a dresser, and the other dresser about another meter away from that one. When my girls get the itch, they dash from condo to dresser to bed to dresser, out the room, down the stairs, etc... you get the idea.
Then when it's peaceful, they will perch themselves up there calm as can be. But the mad dash is always so much fun to watch.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I vote living room, so he'll have his own furniture when he's out there with you and something to scratch besides a couch. He will have someplace cozy in his other room too, right?

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
abi's condo was in "her room" initially in front of a window. when we moved to our new house it stays in the corner of the den so she can hump from the top of the condo tree to the TV armoire and to the loft.

she sleeps in our bedroom with lots of high places in the closets for her to perch and window seats for viewing her doman.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our tree house is sitting by the front window of the house - cats can sit up there and look out the window. So if you have a window where you can place the condo, put it there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well here's how I think I will do it, in his part of the apartment, the one he'll be confined to when I'm out, he'll have a little scratching post, some toys, a warm bed, litter box, and his eating area. when I come home, I'll open the door so he can have access to the entire apartment, and the living room where his cat condo would be, he can hang out around the apartment all night, but on my way out to work, he'll have to go back to being confined. I would like to take this approach at first, but if I can start trusting him, then I'll leave the whole apartment for him.

My main concern is him going to the main entrance of the door and cries or meows loudly, loud enough for people on my floor to hear him from the hallway.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jericho 2550

hey everyone, I still won't get my bengal for another month, but I wanted to ask about where I should place the cat condo, I live alone in a pretty large apartment, I plan to restrict the cat to one part of the apartment, which contains a hallway and 2 bedrooms and a coat closet, one of the bedrooms will be locked, so he can roam around the hallway and a room I'll have ready for him, and the coat closet that would have his litter box.

Now when I'm home, I spend most of my time in the living room, and of course I would like him be there as well. But I'm wondering, where should I put the condo, in his part of the apartment when I'm out, or in the living room?

thanks
The "experts" are always quick to point out to keep it away from the litter box. This sound like good advice but I swear my litter box never has a smell come from it. Supposedly when you bring a cat home for a while it has a "safe" room and that is where the condo should go, again according to the "experts" the self described experts on the front of my book anyway. Just remember, it can always be moved again!!