Neighbor's unneutered kitten

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment building and have become somewhat acquainted with one of my neighbors. She has a 5 month old male kitten she knows she needs to get neutered (she's mentioned it a few times). I asked her if she has a vet and she doesn't. She told me she doesn't have the money even for the low-cost neuter certificate (around $60). I now am wondering if I should spring for the neutering costs myself. I don't know much about her other than she has the cat and a young daughter. She may quite possibly be getting on her feet after a bad time and having a cat is a sense of stability for them. I know the cost of going through my vet may possibly be more than just the neuter - they may throw in shots and bloodwork. I don't want to be on the hook for something that could get expensive in a hurry, yet I know the importance of neutering. All 4 of my males came to me neutered, so I'm not sure of expense. How would anyone else go about helping? I have not said anything to her so she's not expecting anything.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I live in an apartment building and have become somewhat acquainted with one of my neighbors. She has a 5 month old male kitten she knows she needs to get neutered (she's mentioned it a few times). I asked her if she has a vet and she doesn't. She told me she doesn't have the money even for the low-cost neuter certificate (around $60). I now am wondering if I should spring for the neutering costs myself. I don't know much about her other than she has the cat and a young daughter. She may quite possibly be getting on her feet after a bad time and having a cat is a sense of stability for them. I know the cost of going through my vet may possibly be more than just the neuter - they may throw in shots and bloodwork. I don't want to be on the hook for something that could get expensive in a hurry, yet I know the importance of neutering. All 4 of my males came to me neutered, so I'm not sure of expense. How would anyone else go about helping? I have not said anything to her so she's not expecting anything.
Not only is he going to need to be neutered, he will need a rabies shot and FVRCP series. As much as I think it is very sweet of you to offer to pay for his neuter....I would recommend contacting different vet offices, explaining the situation and seeing if they would be able to put her on a payment plan. Your neighbor needs to understand that if he isn't neutered soon, he could begin to spray.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know. She says the spraying is her big concern. I also know how a simple office visit can turn into a big bill in a hurry when you're not expecting it. It came to me last night that I could possibly buy the neuter certificate and give it to her, leaving the actual arrangements up to her.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know. She says the spraying is her big concern. I also know how a simple office visit can turn into a big bill in a hurry when you're not expecting it. It came to me last night that I could possibly buy the neuter certificate and give it to her, leaving the actual arrangements up to her.
That sounds like a good idea. That would be very nice of you.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or else see if she could cover like $30 of the neutere certificate & offer to help her pay the rest? Maybe find a vet who would work out a payment plan for her?

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sounds great! Go for it. Helping her financially isn't going to hurt the situation, make it a gift. It's her choice to get the kitten its shots, etc. I say this act of kindness will actually encourage her to be more responsible and go ahead and have the shots done--but we'll see what happens. And you sound like the perfect, non-judgemental person to give the gift. How sweet!~

Kittens are expensive. Chances are it will get sick at least once in it's early lifetime so that's going to hurt her financially. You can let her know this will probably happen and maybe she'll start saving money now...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she won't take your charity of paying for the neuter, are there things that you need help with that she could work for you? Some people are too proud to accept things for free.

keschete

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful idea. The gift certificate for the neuter may prevent this cat from ending up in the animal shelter. It should also help prevent him from becomming an outside cat that will spray on your door.....

I donate my time and money into rehabbing Miniature pinschers. I frequently take in dogs and have them fixed, shots, heartworm prevention, etc and then basically give the dog away to well researched candidates (that sign adoption agreements). It costs some money, but I found a vet that gives me a discount and I check out the families thoroughly before adoption.

Many vets are willing to help out in this way and even if it costs you a little bit....it may be the best money you spend this year
And it is the season for giving!!!!

Kudos to you for just thinking about this....if more people care...more animals get saved.

Kaya...and the rescue family...11 min pins, 2 cats, 5 sugar gliders and 2 hedgehogs...ohh and a husband

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store that sells the certificates. It costs $51 for a male cat, but only one of the clinics on the list is local and they only take existing clients with the certificate. I didn't buy the certificate because it's a real pain getting a refund. I had to stop by my vets office this morning to pick up some medication for one of my cats and I priced it out with them. If everything was done properly (pre-surgery bloodwoork, all the proper shots a kitten needs, neuter itself) it would run about $275. I still haven't talked to her about it.