Stupid question about ears.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wondered why cats have those little pockets at the base of their ears. Does anyone know if they serve a purpose?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I do not know the answer to that one. However, NO question is a stupid one. You ask all you want.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its all about the enhanced listening skills that cats have. Probably allows them to hear from their sides and backs???

I could be wrong though

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that one.
However, NO question is a stupid one
. You ask all you want.
That is exactly what my mother used to tell me all the time. But darned if I know, either. And I have a small library of cat books at my disposal!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking and looking, and the only conclusion I can draw is that it is just an extra flap of skin attached to the "pinna" (ear flap) that allows for extra range of movement of the ear.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I have always wondered why cats have those little pockets at the base of their ears. Does anyone know if they serve a purpose?
When cats were designed, they were designed so that things humans told them to do would go in one ear and out the other!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another silly question about ears. Does anyone elses cat's ears make a flapping noise (like some dogs ears) when they shake their heads?

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Trixters ears do make that flapping noise if he shakes his head. And i think it makes sense that the little flap aids in movement, and sensitivity. And yes, they are cute!! Cat ears are the best! lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well y'all are making me feel a lot better about my lack of cat knowledge, heh! And here I thought I was the only cat owner who didn't know what those cute little pockets are for!

If anyone finds out, be sure to let me know, mkay?