How cani tell if a cat is purring because she's happy of because she is in pain?

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iveheard that cats pur when they are in pain andwhen they are happy. How can i tell which reason is why my cat ispurring?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from my experience, when a cat is happy or content with the world, it will have its eyes mostly closed, a relaxed look on its face. The tail will be relaxed...um you can just tell. If a cat is in pain or ill, it won't want anything to do with you, it will not want to take part it its normal routine and the tail will be either droopy or tucked firmly in against its body. The cat will just look painful and tense.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what makes you think your cat is in pain on a regular basis to the point where you question why she is purring? I am just curious if something happened to make you wonder?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats purr mostly when they are content. If they are a little upset they may purr too but they'll stop purring and probably start growling.
I've never heard of purring used to communicate pain.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Cats purr mostly when they are content. If they are a little upset they may purr too but they'll stop purring and probably start growling.
I've never heard of purring used to communicate pain.
I've heard that they'll purr to calm themselves, not necessarily to communicate pain.