Can you cook?

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I don't/can't cook...at least very well. I can bake cookies and cake and stuff, but that's about it (and seems much easier!)

I need to get some groceries, because we don't have anything to eat. There is some frozen shrimp in the freezer, deveined and skinned or something. How can I cook these up, so they're good and tasty?

BTW- I love using my big george foreman grill, so if it involves that, even better!

Help, please?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about just thawing out that shrimp and tossing it on the grill and letting George cook it for you? Run some skewers through them, throw on some grillable veggies and have a feast. I have a motto in life: never, ever use a recipe or a cookbook. Just do things that come to your imagination. You will be very pleased with yourself most of the time and when you are not, well, that's what dogs are for (and some cats).

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take those shrimp 1 tbspn of butter, and garlic and stir fry it up! If you have pasta, serve with it on the side.

also lime flavoring is really good

(PS I'm not really good either, but I'm getting better...have a Pampered Chef party...it encourages cooking!)

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Take those shrimp 1 tbspn of butter, and garlic and stir fry it up! If you have pasta, serve with it on the side.

also lime flavoring is really good

(PS I'm not really good either, but I'm getting better...have a Pampered Chef party...it encourages cooking!)
Thats what I do, it tastes so good! In addition to the butter and garlic I throw in a few finely chopped pieces of onion, and a slice or two of red/green pepper. Gives it a very good taste

mickey85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like others have said, skewer them and throw them in your George Foreman. What you want to do is thaw them, then slather them with butter and lemon juice, then throw them on the grill until they get light brown lines in them and are warm. Here's how: Make a marinade with melted butter, some chopped garlic (the kind you can get in a jar at supermarkets) and lemon or lime juice. Mix to taste, then drizzle it over the shrimp and cook.

Do you have a slow cooker? A recipe that I LOVE is to take chicken quarters or boned breasts and stick as many as possible upright in your crock, then pour a bottle of BBQ sauce over them and let them cook on low all day. THen, make either rice or egg noodles. The meat should fall off the bones, and you can use the sauce over the noodles or rice. Absolutely amazing, moist flavor as well.

Another easy thing is to take a pie crust (one of the premade frozen ones). Add cooked, cubed meat, cut broccoli, maybe some peppers, etc. Then, sprinkle cheese over that (I like it a bit heavy), then mix 4 scrambled eggs with a bit of milk (to make it fluffy) and pour that in the pie crust on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350, and as soon as you can stick a knife in and it comes out without egg on it, it's done.

mickey85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ooh yeah - chili is another thing:

take Chili beans, white beans, pinto beans, chili mix, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and fried hamburger meat, throw it all in a pot and cook it on low until it's bubbling, stirring frequently. Mix in enough chili powder and hot sauce to make it worth your time, and you're set. Literally cooking out of a can. I also like to fry up some boneless chicken breast in olive oil and pull it apart (not cut, pull), then toss that in. Makes a completely different flavor.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make a stirfry with veggies such as broccoli, carrots, peppers,a garlic clove and onions. For sauce I like to use peanut butter,ginger, garlic powder, chilli powder, honey and soy sauce, maybe a little bit of sesame oil. You can also use commercial brands of teriyaki sauce. All you do is put a little sesame oil in the bottom of the wok, pour the sauce over the veggies and wait until the veggies are tender (put the burner on medium heat). Then what I would do with the shrimp (or tofu, chicken, beef, pork) is just cook them in a separate pan with a little bit of the leftover sauce (if homemade. Just add a little more sauce from the bottle if you've bought it). I don't usually use shrimp, though, but I know it takes very little time to get them cooked so you have to watch them carefully. Then I just mix the veggies with the meat, add even more sauce (if you have any left!
). Meanwhile, when you're cooking the veggies and meat, you can soak some thin rice noodles in very hot water. They only take a few minutes to plump up, so after you've done everything in the wok you can just add them, toss everything together ... and voila! a nice, very nutritious meal that takes like, 25 minutes to make, and even faster to eat ^_^

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saute the shrimp with butter, garlic and oregano, dump in a jar of Ragu Roasted Garlic & Parmesan sauce, reduce heat to very low and simmer while the pasta is cooking. Make some garlic bread and a salad - voila! you have a good meal.

I am a good cook. My chili, pork chile verde, pork and beef roasts are excellent and my meat loaf has been known to garner marriage proposals.