We All Survived

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because. WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all d ay, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks
and tennis balls and, although we were told it would h appen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our
lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We played with the "original" Jarts that have the metal tips-no injuries!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

We actually "played" in traffic....
We would walk 4 miles to school in rain or snow at 5,6,7 and 8 years old!
There was no "call waiting"
Oh you did not how old are you anyways

I remember when thre wasn't price wars

I remember when the movies were 35 cents

I remember when bread was 3 loaves for $1.00

When you could get a hole cart load of groceries for $40.00

I remember when gas was 29 cents a gallon

Wow I have said way to much haven't I

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee that all sounds really great
Sorry, I can't hide my feeling about that...

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all played tag and dodge ball and didn't worry about the effects of being singled out we simply hoped we were fast enough to not get hit and that the bigger kids weren't on the other team because they threw hard. We could watch movies and not have to worry if it had all that cussing and violence. And noone told us that Bugs Bunny was too violent. We played in the day but in the evening we would hury to watch Little House on the Praire. And we would sit and read a good book rather than watching a horror film. I used to catch frogs and scare my little sister with them. I was born in 1980 so I was cutting it pretty close to the 70's. And my mom would play basketball with our cousins while she was pregnant with me maybe that's why I was a little tomboy.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh you did not how old are you anyways

I remember when thre wasn't price wars

I remember when the movies were 35 cents

I remember when bread was 3 loaves for $1.00

When you could get a hole cart load of groceries for $40.00

I remember when gas was 29 cents a gallon

Wow I have said way to much haven't I
Yes, I remember all of that too. Except I remember paying .25¢ at the movies before age 12. I think it was .50¢ starting at age 12. I also remember TP being .33¢ for four rolls when on special. The car I had at that time (late 1960s) used premium gas so I had to pay .45¢ a gallon.

What you have to remember is that,although the prices sound cheap, wages were commensurate with the prices. My first full time job after college was working for a county government for $500.00 per month. I thought that was great and was actually able to save money each month. Ah, the good old days.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because. WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
So true- I see kids out on the street but they just seem to be hanging around rather than doing anything active

Originally Posted by Catkiki

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks
and tennis balls and, although we were told it would h appen, we did not put out very many eyes.
My uncle almost put his eye out with a BB gun so I'm not too sure on that one

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time I was inside was a classroom or if it was really pouring down rain outside and I hated it. There were very few overweight kids. Now obesity and even Type 2 diabetes are becoming epidemic among kids. I am 50 and there is a guy where I work in his twenties that has to weigh at least 400 pounds and can barely move around. If he doesn't lose some weight and he manages to make it to 50 he probably won't even be able to walk anymore. We didn't know as much about nutrition when I was growing up but all of the exercise more than made up for that.