Another progress marker....

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I feed the ferals in the morning I have been encouraging them to come into the kitchen and meet the residents, and maybe even snag a bite of food inside.

This morning, Lyssa-Lyssa came in and headed right for the food bowl. Then she ran into the living room. All I could think of was: "Tammy-Timmy times ten," but Lyssa behaved herself. She sat down in the living room, looked at everyone, sniffed a nose or two, (I hadn't considered how I was going to get her out) and then calmly ran out of the door.

It was good time for all, maybe now she will come in and explore more as we go along.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great progress! Are you ever afraid the ferals and the inside cats will fight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have thought of it, yes. However, my insiders and my outsiders have known each other for years. I would have figured that if there were going to be any fights, it would have happened as soon as the ferals started crossing the threshold.

Come to think of it, I really have not had a knock-down, drag out cat fight in years.

Hissing, yes, growling, yes, spitting, yes, but the insiders don't do that to the outsiders at all.

It will be interesting.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KittenKiya thank you so much. I have been very lucky with my critters. Brady was a feral/semi-feral when I adopted him. He has a very sweet personality however, I could not imagine him fighting, he would be mroe likely to run off and hide. So I wish you luck with your, it does sounds like you have a lot more cat experience than I do and know what you are doing!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

When I feed the ferals in the morning I have been encouraging them to come into the kitchen and meet the residents, and maybe even snag a bite of food inside.
I would only encourage interaction once the ferals have been TNR'd so you know that they have received vaccinations and rabies.

Katie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie - all of KittenKiya's ferals are already fixed &etc. - even registered as a colony! (In fact, at this point, they're more like her outside kitty family, lol!) But it's excellent advice for people who are new to TNR work and might not have already considered that.

And what excellent news! With more of the outside gang getting comfortable inside... you'll have to keep that vodka bottle handy!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I have thought of it, yes. However, my insiders and my outsiders have known each other for years. I would have figured that if there were going to be any fights, it would have happened as soon as the ferals started crossing the threshold.

Come to think of it, I really have not had a knock-down, drag out cat fight in years.

Hissing, yes, growling, yes, spitting, yes, but the insiders don't do that to the outsiders at all.

It will be interesting.
There is always hope for the ferals to acclimate to the indoor cats! We went away for a 3 day weekend a few weeks back and got Lucky to come inside the house before we left (it was wicked cold). He was unsupervised for 3 days inside the house with my entire gang. If there had been a fight, it would have left fur. Lucky was happy to go back outside when we got home, but he came back inside for the night the following night (and every night since then). Now I can't open the door without him running either inside or back outside. He's become the revolving door cat.

I think it's because they live outside the windows and the inside cats see them everyday, that they get used to each other. I leave the windows open as often as I can so that they can get used to each other's smells also. I know you can't always count on them becoming permanent indoor cats, but its really nice to know that if the weather gets nasty, that they can come inside.

Nice job!!