cats jumping on counters!!!

ngigian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,

I have a 1 1/2 year old cat that is starting to jump onto the counters continously. He used to only when no one was home and only when the kitchen window was open. As well he used to when bread was left out in a bag, he would jump up and eat all the bread. So we took the bread away and anythings he might want to play with. The counters are clean! We did punish him with a loud and firm NO! and sometimes a squirt with a water bottle. Now he is doing it even when we are home sitting in the living room! I just caught him in the sink eating cheese from a pan that we had just ate nachos from! It is ridiculous and needs to stop!

Does anyone have any insight for me! I desperately need help and this needs to stop.

Thanks, Nic

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ngigian

Hello there,

I have a 1 1/2 year old cat that is starting to jump onto the counters continously. He used to only when no one was home and only when the kitchen window was open. As well he used to when bread was left out in a bag, he would jump up and eat all the bread. So we took the bread away and anythings he might want to play with. The counters are clean! We did punish him with a loud and firm NO! and sometimes a squirt with a water bottle. Now he is doing it even when we are home sitting in the living room! I just caught him in the sink eating cheese from a pan that we had just ate nachos from! It is ridiculous and needs to stop!

Does anyone have any insight for me!
I desperately need help and this needs to stop.

Thanks, Nic
Here is what I used to train Persi to keep off of the cooktop:
Get the loudest and longest one you can, it scares the bedickings out of them and they soooon learn!!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
i used several ssscat cans on the island and it got triggered if she jumped on ANY counters. she hated the compressed air and now just the sight of the can deters her. as for the food, don't leave temptation out for the cat. I learned that when imy cat ate one and a half marionberry empanadas.

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a can with rocks in it, and it frightened my guy so much he won't go near the countertops now..just shake the can, cheap, and effective..Mike, Medford, Ore..

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firebirdmagic

I have a can with rocks in it, and it frightened my guy so much he won't go near the countertops now..just shake the can, cheap, and effective..Mike, Medford, Ore..
You know, manytoes loves the counter. To no end. I think he likes to walk/sit/exist at higher than floor level. In any case, I SWEAR the cat has long since become fully convinced I will never hurt him, and doesnt respond to me when I try to frighten him away from something he shouldnt be doing. Loud Sound? Squirt of Water? Stern voice? these things mean NOTHING to my cat anymore :/

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how big your counters are, but all of mine still continue to get on counters-I try but I gave up after several years. Try laying some double sided sticky tape on them they HATE it, it did not work for me but I have heard it works for others. I tried the squirt bottle thing, not succesful. I finally realized that it is a hopeless cause and allow mine on the counters, but I also do not eat on the counters, I have more of an issue with them getting on the kitchen table than I do the counters.