TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I saw it! The space shuttle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I saw it! The space shuttle

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I just stood out in my backyard and watched the space shuttle as it went up and headed out! It was beautiful.. much prettier than a day launch
post #2 of 28
what space shuttle???

Did NASA like launch one or something?
post #3 of 28
Wow - that's pretty amazing!
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie'sLove View Post
what space shuttle???

Did NASA like launch one or something?

Yes The space shuttle Discovery.... it is headed towards the INTL Space Station to do some work. It was the first night launch in over 4 years.
post #5 of 28
Oh I bet that was so cool. You should have sent out an invite to us, then we could have helped you with those beverages in your fridge.
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Oh I bet that was so cool. You should have sent out an invite to us, then we could have helped you with those beverages in your fridge.

OH! That would have been such a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it

I have a bit of an excuse though... We were planning to drive closer to Kennedy to watch the shuttle. We actually had plans to do it Thursday night, when it was originally supposed to go off. Then they scrubbed the mission because of weather, and I actually thought for sure it wouldn't go off tonight. The weather hasn't been great today, and it has been windy. It cleared enough at the last minute though...

Soooo, I didn't want to risk having all of you lovely people come all the way to my house for nothing!
post #7 of 28
That's OK - we could always all come over now for a post-launch party!
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokisMum View Post
That's OK - we could always all come over now for a post-launch party!
Well what are you still doing posting? Come on over!
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokisMum View Post
That's OK - we could always all come over now for a post-launch party!


When you posted what was in your fridge, it would be plenty for a post launch party!!
post #10 of 28
On my way!
post #11 of 28
How great that must have been, we saw it on Tv. The one thing I feel in the beginning if frightened for the folks that are on it. That image of the one that blew up will never leave my mind.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint View Post
How great that must have been, we saw it on Tv. The one thing I feel in the beginning if frightened for the folks that are on it. That image of the one that blew up will never leave my mind.

Mine neither! Do you know I was in kindergarten the day it happened and I will always remember seeing it on tv and my teacher crying. It was a sad day. I also won't forget the way I felt when the Columbia didn't make it through re-entry. It makes you not only worry about the shuttles taking off now, but you worry about them coming back as well.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
Mine neither! Do you know I was in kindergarten the day it happened and I will always remember seeing it on tv and my teacher crying. It was a sad day. I also won't forget the way I felt when the Columbia didn't make it through re-entry. It makes you not only worry about the shuttles taking off now, but you worry about them coming back as well.
Kindergarden Your still a youngster

I can't remember that long ago I think I went to Kindergarden
( stage coach days)
post #14 of 28
I have been gone a long time but I'm from Titusville. Back when, the Apollo launches were like earthquakes. On a clear day, from in front of our house, you could see the top of it sitting on launch pad 39 all the way across the river. That was long ago, when the area was booming.

I'm sure it's a thrill to see the shuttle in person, especially at night.
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint View Post
Kindergarden Your still a youngster

I can't remember that long ago I think I went to Kindergarden
( stage coach days)

Hey, hey, hey! I am going to be 30 soon... I turned 27 in October. I can't believe it!
post #16 of 28
Oh that's nothng I have a daughter that's just short of 2 times that wait till 40 comes then you don't even have to worry about thinking about it, because that's just about when the mind slows down I never thought I would get out of my 20s I have no idea where all these years went,. My big reminder is my grandkids ages 19, two that are 18 one 15one 13, and then to top that off when My Grandson started collage I said WHO Time goes by oh so fast, if you think about that shuttle was some 21 or 22 years ago it's amazing isn't it?
post #17 of 28
the effects must have been beautiful.

However, I've seen the demise of Apollo 1 and 2 shuttles (Challenger and Columbia) and their crews, I can't bring myself to watch them launch or re-enter anymore, even if I lived close enough to see it in person.
post #18 of 28
That is soooooo cool!! I would have loved to see that
post #19 of 28
Cool! I was just looking at some pics online too. I would have loved to see it launch at night like that!
post #20 of 28
How exciting! Tanya, did you get any pictures?
post #21 of 28
That's so cool! I'm jealous. I'd love to go to space.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
How exciting! Tanya, did you get any pictures?
No, because my fiance kept telling me it wasn't going to take off because of the wind. So I (the trusting girl I am) didn't get my butt up until the 9 minute countdown begin. I didn't have time to get the camera out and also put my sweatshirt and stuff on to go outside
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
That's so cool! I'm jealous. I'd love to go to space.
Just catch the next flight my way and I will take you to Disney, well Epcot, where we can ride Mission Space... It's the next best thing

http://disney.go.com/vacations/missi...mainflash.html
post #24 of 28
That is very cool I would have loved to see that.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
Mine neither! Do you know I was in kindergarten the day it happened and I will always remember seeing it on tv and my teacher crying.
I was a senior in high school Like the others, the memory is burned into my brain.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
the effects must have been beautiful.

However, I've seen the demise of Apollo 1 and 2 shuttles (Challenger and Columbia) and their crews, I can't bring myself to watch them launch or re-enter anymore, even if I lived close enough to see it in person.
Ohhh, I remember Apollo 1, too.
post #27 of 28
That would have been cool to see!! Could you hear it too??
We've seen the space stuff at the Smithsonian located by Dulles airport.
post #28 of 28
wow thats great good for you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I saw it! The space shuttle