Trout!! Quit knocking things onto the floor!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this an every cat thing, where they have to knock things off of tables or desks..but then not even play with them??

Things do not stay on surfaces for long around here..Trout has to go around knocking everything onto the floor!!

Do your kits do this?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! I was sitting here trying to make flash cards to study for my Chem final. Dori kept knocking my markers on the floor one by one. She swats any small thing we keep out on our desks off onto the floor

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the time! John has lost a few lighters when he puts them on the counter - I always find them under the couch. I think they are telling him to stop smoking!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine have never knocked things off of anything. Trout, you go girl

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think maybe it's a tortie thing Natalie! My girl Zan (who looks a bit like Trout......I need to post some new pics of my furbabies) is FAMOUS for that. She just looks at the item and with one quick, stealth swipe of the paw, she sends something flying to the floor....only to peer over the edge at it, then redirect her attention to the next thing that is about to go flying!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anya's favorite pasttime is to "test gravity". In fact her daddy is a little upset with her right now because he just bought the 14-disc Superman collector's edition DVD and she knocked it off the top of the entertainment system and broke part of the plastic.... Bad Anya.

It's also funny because I have a bowl of those decorative balls on my coffee table. She'll sit next to it and pick them up with her mouth one by one and drop them off the edge of the table until the bowl is empty. Never hops down to play with a one of them. Just likes to watch them drop I guess.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o ya my kitties looooooove to do that I will be sleeping and BANG i here something hit the floor, I would hate when I would be reading because they would walk on my night stands next to my bed and knock everything over including my alarm clock and my lamp, its an every day thing
thouhg we are getting good at avoiding those 2 things but anything else is down on the floor, and also bella goes in my windows so on my one dresser where my tv and dvd player are there are ALOT of movies and she loves to knock them over
! Another thing she does is sit on my printer to get my attention sometimes and then she will put her paw up and knock everything off of the pull out thing for the keyboard (I have a labtop upstairs so I put my school work there) and she always knocks it down for no reason !!! That is one thing my kits love to do is knock everything over on my places

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar has moved on from 'testing gravity' to hording- his favourite thing is to knock lighters off the computer desk abd add them to his collection under the settee

I often wonder if he spends the night seperating them into colours- 'hmmm... I just need that yellow clipper to complete my collection'

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately Gizmo doesn't knock things over, unless it's my glasses (when they are on my nose. She doesn't like the glasses for some reason.)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother in-law was telling me that when his cat was younger, if there was a glass sitting on the table, she'd go over and look in it. If there was nothing in it, she'd leave it alone. But if there was any liquid in it, she'd slowly push it off the table so it would spill on the floor. Smart kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I think maybe it's a tortie thing Natalie! My girl Zan (who looks a bit like Trout......I need to post some new pics of my furbabies) is FAMOUS for that. She just looks at the item and with one quick, stealth swipe of the paw, she sends something flying to the floor....only to peer over the edge at it, then redirect her attention to the next thing that is about to go flying!
That' EXACTLY how Trout does it
The little scamp

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a cat, Toby (RIP), who would do the same thing. However, he would give the object a couple of gentle taps to get my attention and then whack it as hard as he could! He also enjoyed knocking coins behind my bookcase!
Catfriend

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Is this an every cat thing, where they have to knock things off of tables or desks..but then not even play with them??

Things do not stay on surfaces for long around here
..Trout has to go around knocking everything onto the floor!!

Do your kits do this?
Well the wife and I USED to have this very same problem which we quickly resolved. And here is the answer, and I challenge you to find any fault with it.

Since everything is going to end up on the floor anyhow, when we use something, we just throw it on the floor instead of placing it on the coffee table, end table, counter, and so forth since that is where it is going to end up anyway. So we are just cutting out one unnecessary step in the whole process. I know that some will say we are mean for doing this because we are depriving him of his fun, but we believe in being efficient.

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
smart solution, persi. When my cats start batting a pen/marker or something non-breakable i usually just throw it off the computer desk for them. It is only a matter of time, as you have pointed out. It does get irritating to hear picture frames falling over and breakable stuff like that.
My cats have a bad habit of jumping onto the piano and wedging themselves behind the music stand, it would be cute if it didn't happen on a daily basis..

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Lucy believes that gravity should be tested all of the time. After all, one wouldn't want to be floating off into space without warning.

She and I have played "catch" for up to 10 minutes. She pushed something off of the desk onto my keyboard tray. I put it back, she pushes it off again, etc.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both Lilly & Leo love "The Gravity Game."

The latest objects of their attention are 2 specific pieces of the Nativity scene: the angel who hangs from a nail on the roof of the set (understandable- it's probably fun to bat lightly at first to see it swing), and somewhat more puzzling, the shepard... only the shepard, not the wise men, not Mary or Joseph. Everytime we hear a piece hit the floor, we come out to find the angel and the shepard sprawled on the floor.

My boyfriend thinks they've taken up the cause of animal rights, since the shepard is holding one of the sheep!

The shepard *JUST* hit the floor again, courtesy of Lilly this time.