Something scary happened!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have no idea what she is doing. My husband was about to leave and all of a sudden, Isis let out this horrible low deep meow. She had been eating for the last 5 minutes or so and i went over there and she had her face in the food bowl.
She was leaning to one side and i thought maybe she had gotten hurt or something. I haven't really seen her today. I've been laid up sick

I sent him on his way and then went to find her cause she went back to her hidy hole and I got her out and held her, gave her meds (the 1/4 tablet) and she seems fine now. She is under my computer desk on the ottoman i have there for my legs.

What was going on?? I am so scared and confused. Her breathing is fine, she is acting totally fine, walking normally etc.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she got a piece of food caught in her teeth or gum area.Mine will sometimes do that,not very often.But, it scared me the first time they did that cause I thought they were having a seizure or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
should i check her gums? She seems fine now..oh my gosh, i hope that's all it is, it freaked me out!
She's staying close to me and being her snuggly cuddly self.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check and see if you can see any spotting of blood incase she cut her gum.But, I wouldn't think it would be anything other than a scratch if anything at all.
Mine will get the food lodged inbetween their teeth and they use their tongues or their paws to get it out.Then, they are fine.
They will meow because it gets stuck and they want it out.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok i didn't see anything at all. She didn't like that at all, that stressed her out. I'm going to leave her alone now but keep a close eye on her.
The one weird thing is that she had one paw on the floor when she was laying down and then the other was under her so her one leg with the paw on the floor seemed really weird and poking upward. I don't know if i'm explaining that clearly but it looked really weird.
I mean she had her face in the food bowl, almost laying on top of the food..oh gosh i hope that's all it was.
These things always happen at night/weekends don't they?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping and praying that is all it was!!!
Yes, this things can and often do ONLY happen on the weekends.
You explained it good, BTW.
Just keep an eye on her.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok good thanks. I wasnt sure if i was making sense.

She's back to breathing normal. Poor kiddo. No asthma episodes today though on the bright side.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not trying to frighten you but It sounds like it may be some kind of seizure, the being off balance or leaning, or falling over.
It might be a good idea to take her and have her checked, have you ever seen her do this before?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Not trying to frighten you but It sounds like it may be some kind of seizure, the being off balance or leaning, or falling over.
It might be a good idea to take her and have her checked, have you ever seen her do this before?
I was going to mention this as a possibility....
Brody, who is a dog, was diagnosed as having seizures this past summer. The both times I witnessed his seizure he let out a moan and then collapsed on the floor. He was perfectly fine a few minutes later. You may want to, at the very least, give your vet a call on Monday morning to run it by him. He may want you to bring her in.
In Brody's case I actually picked him up and carried him right to the vet closest to my house when it happened. I happened to be home on my lunch break. They ran blood tests and kept him for an afternoon to monitor him. They never found out what triggered the seizures and as far as I know, he hasn't had one since. In cases where seizures are a problem, they can put the animals on medication.

Hopefully it was something as simple as food being caught in a bad place, but I would definitely keep an extra eye out and run it by my vet.
Good luck, I hope your kitty is ok

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about that and she seems fine, ate again, drank, went potty. I will definately call the vet on Monday. If something happens though I'll take her in to the emergency clinic but I don't think i need to right now. I'm looking up seizures in cats now.

Goodness!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to reassure you, IF it were a seizure and she is ok now, and as long as nothing else changes you should be fine to wait until Monday morning to speak to your vet.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know that Isis is doing great so far. She even played! In the 3 weeks we have had her, she has never even shown any interest in playing at all. She went chasing after a mouse and my feet! Her breathing was even normal for a while (she is still breathing a little hard at times)and she cuddled next to me and rubbed all over me.

I will call the vet anyways on Monday, we need to touch base about her asthma anyways.

But no episodes at all Saturday! Now we have Sunday to go!