Oh boy, I'm frustrated!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL is coming over next weekend for a holiday meal. She and 8-Bit have a mutual dislike for one another. When I invited her this time I told her we'd put him in the bedroom with some toys so he wouldn't get into any of her stuff or bother her in the slightest. Well, that wasn't good enough. She said that she wants him caged the whole time she is over. I just got that message a few seconds ago so I am trying to calm down and deal with this rationally. Can someone help me?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just reply that by being shut into your bedroom is as far as you can go to accomadate her. That is being caged in my book

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Ummm...that's ridiculous, can't your DH talk to her, what the Heck!!!
DH calls 8-Bit his furry son. If I told him about it he'd blow his top!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tut.......oh that seems really mean
..........its your house aint it !
I think you are doing your very best and meeting her half way on this matter, surely she should meet you the other half !!
Dont budge gal...............I think MIL should understand about compromise

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would she want him caged? That's mean! If he's in the bedroom with his toys, he can't get near her. If you cage him because she's coming over, he'll really be ticked off at her!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Why would she want him caged? That's mean! If he's in the bedroom with his toys, he can't get near her. If you cage him because she's coming over, he'll really be ticked off at her!
I have no idea why she'd want him caged. He's never attacked anyone, so this doesn't make any sense.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I figured it out... I don't think she want's DH and I to cook. I think that she wants us to take her out to dinner. She will pull weird stuff like this when she wants us to change plans. UGGGGGG

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would he need to be caged if you go out for dinner? That doesn't make much sense either.

In this case..it is YOUR home, and YOUR furry son. I would not let anyone tell me to put Trout in a cage. Can you just tell her that putting him in a cage is not an option but that you will keep him in the bedroom...and say it with some finality..don't ask...TELL HER!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Why would he need to be caged if you go out for dinner? That doesn't make much sense either.

In this case..it is YOUR home, and YOUR furry son. I would not let anyone tell me to put Trout in a cage. Can you just tell her that putting him in a cage is not an option but that you will keep him in the bedroom...and say it with some finality..don't ask...TELL HER!!
I agree. Or (calmly, unemotively if possible) just pass the message to DH. If he blows his top, that's not your fault, but she is his mother, not yours.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I agree. Or (calmly, unemotively if possible) just pass the message to DH. If he blows his top, that's not your fault, but she is his mother, not yours.
I just did. His reply, "I'll deal with her right now." I'd hate to be on the other end of that phone call.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

My mum is allergic to cats and she would never even ask me to put them in another room, she will have to live with the fact that it is not her house and while you are being generous enough to cage him in a room you will not put him in a small cage just to keep her happy. And if she fusses, tell her he is already caged - its just a large cage called a room!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I just did. His reply, "I'll deal with her right now." I'd hate to be on the other end of that phone call.
Hey, a father's job is to protect his children.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have no idea why she'd want him caged. He's never attacked anyone, so this doesn't make any sense.
Oh I'd have a problem with this, number one it's your home, why upset the Cat when he doesn't don't know why you are putting him in a cage, she's an Adult Isn't she? Why punish the Cat I would tell her I will put him in the bedroom and that's all I will do. Kinda like me everyone is complaining because I am most likely not going to put my Christmas tree up, I told them I am not going to punish my Cats any or all 8 of them by having to scream at them about staying out of the tree they don't know that it's not for them. Bit is your Son and he lives in that house.. I would just tell her I can't do that to him so this is all I can do.. Not to make light of it but knowing Bit you'll be the one suffering afterwords
I can't believe someone would expect you to do that

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is in the process of trying to work it out. She is worried that he's going to try to grab the food off of her plate. I have no idea where she got this idea, because he's never done that to her in the past.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Did you knock on wood when you said that
No fun intended. Seems like everytime I say something like that It's not good
That's true... I shouldn't have said that out loud!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's true... I shouldn't have said that out loud!
Well I wouldn't put it past any cat to try and steal a bit of Christmas dinner, especially 8Bit, but seriously, what is the difference of his being in a different room with the door locked or a cage in stealing her dinner

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Well I wouldn't put it past any cat to try and steal a bit of Christmas dinner, especially 8Bit, but seriously, what is the difference of his being in a different room with the door locked or a cage in stealing her dinner
I have no idea... DH told her that we not are caging him, and she said she'd get back to us if she is coming or not. At this point I don't really care if she comes or not. It's my home and my rules.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she afraid of cats period? Or just just him? Now I did know a gal years ago who was terrified of cats altogether. I think I would be way more scared of certin dogs myself.