TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Oh boy, I'm frustrated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oh boy, I'm frustrated! - Page 2

post #31 of 53
I'm sorry she is such a pain in the butt!!! I wouldn't put him in a cage though.The bedroom is enough and that alone will cause him some distress.Being caged, would only make it much worse on him and you too!
post #32 of 53
I would put what I thought, but since this is a family site I can't.

I'll just say this. My father is very allergic to cats. They cause him to have asthma attacks. But when they came over for our housewarming party, he never said one word. In fact, Ginger was quite fond of him and his wife. And they paid plenty of attention to her (of course, Dad would only do that when he thought I wasn't looking ) He would never ask me to even put them out of sight for his convenience, even though it does directly affect his health.

We all know that 8-Bit has a tendency to do things we never thought possible but as far as I know, the laws of physics still do apply to him. He can't go through walls or closed doors, so there is no way possible that he can grab her food while being shut in the bedroom. I wouldn't be disappointed if she didn't come over either, if I were you!
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
...My father is very allergic to cats. They cause him to have asthma attacks. But when they came over for our housewarming party, he never said one word....
Yeah that rings true with what my brother does - as mentioned before he's really badly allergic to cats but he'll come and stand in the hallway and say hello to Radar at a distance rather than ask me to move the cat! Of course I do put Radar in another room, my bro has been in hospital with his asthma and there's no way I would intentionally put him at risk - but he never even asks me to move the cat, he'd rather chat to me on the doorstep than expect me to shut my pets away! A true animal lover he is
post #34 of 53
Heather, I think during dinner you should let him out accidentally and get the CAMERA ready. You could win money on America's funniest home videos!
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Heather, I think during dinner you should let him out accidentally and get the CAMERA ready. You could win money on America's funniest home videos!
I vote for this option too!


Actually, I think that is sad that your MIL behaves in this manner. My MIL has a strong dislike for my cats but I just said they are you grandbabies and they deserve to be treated with respect....boy does she think I'm crazy now

SHutting a cat in a room IS caging, it's just a larger cage then she had in mind
post #36 of 53
You need to have a good sit down talk wit6h this woman and tell her that this is your BABY!!

And then, sneek over, let 8-Bit out, and get her all crazy about him!! No, just kidding!!!
post #37 of 53
Wow, what a heifer! I hope 8-bit sneaks out and bites her toes!
post #38 of 53
Thread Starter 
She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.
Wow, she's not a very nice woman is she? I'd definately be a little mad if my future MIL asked to do that! Your probably better off with her not showing up!
post #40 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Wow, she's not a very nice woman is she? I'd definately be a little mad if my future MIL asked to do that! Your probably better off with her not showing up!
Knowing her she'll show up anyway.
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Knowing her she'll show up anyway.
I'd serve her cat food in her meal
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
I'd serve her cat food in her meal
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
I'd serve her cat food in her meal
I'd then encourage 8-Bit to eat off her plate
post #44 of 53
Seems like a damed if ya do, damed if ya don't situation to me.....

One of the things I appreciate very much about my MIL...she repsects boundaries.
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Knowing her she'll show up anyway.
Please get that woman a copy of one of Miss Manners' books for Christmas. Perhaps toss in a copy of Lynn Truss' Talk to the Hand.

You are a true lady Lookingglass.
post #46 of 53
Well she's solved the problem anyway Let her sulk, it's the cats home not hers.
post #47 of 53
What a *****! How about next time she wants to come over you tell her you're having a party, all your cat friends are coming and bringing their kitties and she is welcome to join you?
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.
That's exactly what it's about: control. She's testing the water to see how much you will compromise for her. Give in to this and there will always be something else and something more.

Your husband isn't her only Son is he? Some Mothers tend to not like being replaced as the #1 woman in their Son's life.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
next time she wants to come over you tell her you're having a party, all your cat friends are coming and bringing their kitties and she is welcome to join you?
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the compromise of putting the cat into the bedroom after this. Any further invites would be extended without negotiation of what happens with my cat(s) in my home.

I would then start making unreasonable demands each time I was invited to their house. Let her see how it feels.
post #50 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the compromise of putting the cat into the bedroom after this. Any further invites would be extended without negotiation of what happens with my cat(s) in my home.

I would then start making unreasonable demands each time I was invited to their house. Let her see how it feels.
Oh I don't plan on it. She lost all "can you do me this special favor" privileges after this. I extended our invitation for the meal under the condition that we wouldn’t lock up either kitty, she declined again. Then I said if she changed her mind down to the last second she could still come and eat and that we'd love to have her.
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Oh I don't plan on it. She lost all "can you do me this special favor" privileges after this. I extended our invitation for the meal under the condition that we wouldn’t lock up either kitty, she declined again. Then I said if she changed her mind down to the last second she could still come and eat and that we'd love to have her.
Anyone sane would be so proud to have you as a daughter in law. The courtesies that you extent that woman are incrediable.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I said if she changed her mind down to the last second she could still come and eat and that we'd love to have her.
Good for you!! A very elegant and gracious thing to have said
post #53 of 53
I am so proud that your DH stood up to his Mom and did not cave. I am equally proud of you for standing your ground and handling the situation with as much respect toward your MIL as you have!!

All I can say is KUDOS to you both!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Oh boy, I'm frustrated!