Russian is so afraid

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 week new russian is so afraid if anyone besides me or my husband are in our house... I dont mind him hiding but he looks so afraid, it makes me sad... Any advice - I want him to be better socialized... but I dont know how to do it if he is sooooo scared of anyone.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is only 1 week old.. give him time. Put him in a small room,and let people come see him one at a time
at his age, he shouldnt be out on his own.. and at 1 week, shouldnt he be with his mom? and he shouldnt be able to move around to hide... :-/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No He is one week new to us - he is 5 months old

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The move to a new home can be tramatic! Remember the house is large to such a small cat with lots of new noises and smells.

As already noted, he should be contained in a smaller area, like a bedroom or upper floor of a house until he gets his bearings. Also place his water/food and litter in that area as well. When he wants to venture further, leave the door open so he can come out on his own time.

You can also invest in a calming aid such as Feliway spray or Bach's Essence to add to his water. Just give him some time. He will let you know when he's comfortable and wants to be more social.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've had one for 12 years, and if you do a little research, you'll see they're naturally shy, skittish, and definitely one or two person cats (mine just still barely lets my husband pat him and still jumps off my lap like a rocket if he passes too close. They can't help it, it's the way they are, so while he's the most affectionate (to me) cat in the world, smart and good, his radar is always ON and he'll always be nervy and ready to run, so be nice to him and don't force strangers on him (or vice versa), try to keep 'surprises' away from him, and don't try to change him, just keep things smooth and even so he can relax. I LOVE mine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is really good with me and my husband,... He is already training me - he gives a meow looks up at where the feather wand is - and that means play with me...

I love him so much - he is the best kitten ever, I want to get another russian... We just have allot of family members that wanna come over to see the new "baby" in the family - and he wants nothing to do with them .

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forest

I love him so much - he is the best kitten ever, I want to get another russian... We just have allot of family members that wanna come over to see the new "baby" in the family - and he wants nothing to do with them .
Yes, Russians are a more reserved breed that usually stays away from most commotion. Nakita, though, is not skittish or shy. She usually welcomes guests at the door and will even jump in their lap if they're not too loud!

Each cat will be different and have varied levels of comfort. I would let the cat get his bearings first in the house. Then, slowly, introduce friends and family in a quiet atmosphere. You want the introductions to be a positive experience, so you will have to let your cat's behaviour dictate how fast you should move in the process. Also, it will depend on how the breeder raised the cat. Was it a very quiet home, with little activity? Or was it used to many people in the household? That will make a difference as well.