quick worm question/thoughts please

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats and a number of litterboxes. In one I found roundworms today. Should I assume if one has it they all do and treat them all or should I try to figure out which cat/s it is? I am sure if they all had an update of dewormer it would do them good considering the number of strays I bring in here. But is there a problem treating if they do not have it?

What other symptoms should I look for to try to narrow down which cat/s it is? Willoughby, whom I would suspect first just happened to have a fecal done about 2-3 weeks ago. I think if it was him the vet would have found it right? They said it was negative. So should I just treat them all?

Thanks.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet, but if it were me I would probably treat them all! I don't think it can hurt. But ask the vet and get the meds and doses from him.

tagsmom899301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your vet is going to tell you that all need to be treated. My kitten had worms and I had to treat my dog too even though there was little to no contact between the two. In this case it sounds like there is still a lot of contact between the cats. It won't hurt an animal to be on dewormer if they have no worms, at least that is what my vet told me when I asked the same about my dog. The cats may experience some vomitting and diarrhea. My kitten had slight diarrhea but he was the one with the worms. The dog had no problems whatsoever and both are now worm free (we did fecal tests to determine that).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had problems with round worm for over a year as we continued to foster and rescue. What solved our problem:

Panacur. Available from the vet, worked on stubborn round worm that Drontal and Strongid didn't. Administered 2x/day - then again in three weeks. Administer to all the cats.

Dump all the litter. Bleach the boxes. Refill with clean litter. Do this every week until one week after the 2nd administration of the Panacur.

During the week, scoop the litterboxes as many times a day as you can. The cleaner you keep the boxes, the less likely they are to get a reinfestation or for a cat without round worms to get round worms.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Panacur. Available from the vet, worked on stubborn round worm that Drontal and Strongid didn't. Administered 2x/day - then again in three weeks. Administer to all the cats.
I have been trying to find Panacur. When I worked at the rescue, I was told you can buy it from the feed store but they had no idea what I was talking about when I called and asked. They just had livestock dewormer. I think Panacur is for livestock but given in smaller doses for cats right? That is how it was at the shelter anyways.

At the vet, all the cats have to be seen in order for them to give me dewormer, they said according to law they have to see all my cats. Can Panacur be bought online anywhere that is safe?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Panacur is also sold as Safe-Guard. The feed store might have that. It's just another name for the same product.