Scratched Eye....what do i do???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so last night when I was taking out my contacts, I somehow scratched my eye. I'm not sure how on earth i did it, but somehow or another my fingernail (which was clean and short to begin with) scratched my right eye. At first i didn't realize it, but when I layed down to go to sleep, it felt like there was an eyelash in my eye and it hurt really bad, so i went and looked into the mirror and didn't see anything. It felt like that alllllllllll night long and all day today. That's when it hit me that i scratched my eyeball last night. I was unable to wear my contacts today, so that caused a whole other world of issues. My left eye is a -5.00 and my right is a -4.50 i'm soooooooo blind without my contacts - i can't see things close to me or far away.My glasses, which are fairly new and only a few months old are already not strong enough, so i could bairly see to drive to work or what i was doing at work. (my vision won't stop changing
I want lasik eye surgery, but i can't have it until my vision stops changing is what my doctor said. ) I had already made an appointment earlier in the week for the 22nd to see my eye doctor because me eyes have changed soo much lately...so i'm hoping i'll be able to wait till then. My right eye is driving me crazy right now- it itches horribly and it hurts. I'm trying not to rub it, but that's not going to well
I've tried putting drops in my eye, but those aren't helping much eithor. Have any of you ever scratched your eyeball before? If so, what did you do? Colin's done it before and had to go to the doctor and get some antiobiotic eye drops to prevent an infection. Do i need those or can i get by with just regular drops you think? I tried calling my doctor, but since it's the weekend, i didn't get ahold of them. I guess i'm stuck being miserable till next week.
If any of you have any ideas or suggestions, please send them my way because my eye is driving me
!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww

I'm not sure what to tell you except to just let it heal. When I wore contacts I scratched my eye ALOT. That's when I got fed up and just wore glasses... I have the new Titanuim glasses now and I LOVE them

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my eye scratched one time. I was holding one of my sisters ferrets while she clipped their nails and the nail flew into my eye and scratched it up very bad. I had to get antibiotic eye drops and some type of goop I had to put in my eye 3 times a day. Its been about 3 years or so. It took a while to heal though.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, Nikki.
try taking a cool washcloth to it. don't rub it even though I know that is easier said than done, it will only make it worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have a wash cloth on it right now like Krista suggested
. My eye is sooooooooooooooooo driving me crazy!!! It's aweful! I've never scratched it like this before- it feels like there's an eyelash just stuck in my eye being annoying. I was thinking about going into the doctor today just to let him have a look, but i didn't because I had to work- i wish I had gone though, i thought it would be better by now. Oh well...i suppose that if this is the worse that happens, it's ok. It's just really annoying though. I'm going to see if i can swing by the doctor sometime on monday or tues if it's not better. Does anyone know if you can get antibiotic eye drops over the counter? I'm gonna call my pharmacist real quick and see what they say.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no problem!
I think you can get those "dry eye" ones over the counter. maybe that will help you.
I get freaked out putting eye drops in my eyes, though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

no problem!
I think you can get those "dry eye" ones over the counter. maybe that will help you.
I get freaked out putting eye drops in my eyes, though.
I have several types of eye drops and eye gels- i have cronic dry eye, so i always keep those with me. I've been putting Genteal Sever Dry Eye gel on it till i can get into the doctor. Uhhhhh i'm soooooooooo mad! I just called Walgreens to ask my pharmacist what i should do and the guy i swear is a total idiot! I've had to call him before for something else and he is sooooo aweful! He is absolutely no help at all and is a total redneck!
I told him what happened and asked him if he had any ideas as to what i could do and he was like "well...i'spouse you'd be able to put some of them there over the counter drops in um till you can get to your oooopthamalogerist" - that's exactly how he said it- Gurrrr! he was no help at all!
After that, i tried calling my opthomoligst's office to see if they have an after hours line (they dont
) and then i tried calling my primary care physicians office and they didn't answer the after hour line phone....so i guess i'm stuck just dealing with it till i can get into the doctor next week. I hope it doesn't get infected

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Shawn's eyes, he had to get some antibiotic drops.But, this is after scratching it with metal.
For mine and the kids, I just use a regular eye drop.The one for sensitive eyes.
HUGS!!! And I hope your eye gets better soon.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

For Shawn's eyes, he had to get some antibiotic drops.But, this is after scratching it with metal.
For mine and the kids, I just use a regular eye drop.The one for sensitive eyes.
HUGS!!! And I hope your eye gets better soon.
Good to see you online! / Thanks for the tip

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This whole thread makes me cringe while squinting my eyes...it hurts to even imagine scratching my eye...I really hope your eye gets better Nikki..I have never had it happen, but healing vibes to you{{{}}}

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Natalie
/ I'm REALLY trying not to rub my eyes, but they're driving me crazy lol...i think i'll just go to sleep soon and see if resting them helps

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes... that hurts! I've never done that before, but I'd probly call my eye dr. to see what they have to say! I hope it feels better soon

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Yikes... that hurts! I've never done that before, but I'd probly call my eye dr. to see what they have to say! I hope it feels better soon
Thankyou Mackenzie!
/ I tried calling my eye doctor and my primary care doctor- but since it was after hours, i wasn't able to get ahold of eithor of them
/ My redneck pharmacist was absolutely no help when i called him eithor - i swear! that guy makes me soooooooo made! I wanna use susie's hammer on him and
him every time i pick up my medicine from him - he's so rude! Gurrrrrrrr!!! / (ok, vent over now,thanks!
) So right now i'm online trying to see if i can find anything on one of those medical sites..

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Untill you can get into to see your doc. Try Naphcon-A eye drops. It used to be a prescription eye drop but now its OTC. When I used to wear Contacts I had a lot of eye irratation and my Eye doc suggest that one. It did help.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's an excellent treatment for eye injury. I have used it on cats and myself. You will need eyebright herb from a health food store, also sea salt which most supermarkets have now.
You just make a tea with the herb.
Bring water to a boil and pour over 1 teaspoon of herb. Let steep for 15 minutes. Strain the tea through cheesecloth or whatever so that it's clear of herb pieces. Add 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt for each cup of tea.
Let it cool! Always use cool for anything in the eye.
You can use it without the sea salt. It doesn't hurt without it, just not as soothing.

This is an important herb to keep on hand. Good luck with that injury!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately see your eye doctor and when you call ask to be seen right away. One of our kittens scratched my mom's eye and it got infected. She was given medication drops. Don't wear your contacts. If you have any bacteria the contact will trap them on your eye even if you wash them.
Becareful of what kind of drops you put in, they could cause more damage then good.

Good luck!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have scratched my eye before but it was with a piece of paper. I ripped it out of a binder and a piece of it went flying into my eye and gave me a nice red line in my eye for a while. All I did was leave it until it felt better.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you should deffinatley be seen as soon as you can. I had a friend scratch her eye and it was awful for her. I'm sorry I don't have any quick fixes or temporary helps for you though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the suggestiond everyone
. My eye is still driving my crazy today, but it feels a little bit better than yesterday, so i think it's starting to heal. I haven't been able to get ahold of any of my doctors since it's the weekend, so i'm hoping that I can get in to see them next week if it's still bothering me. I've been using Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel in the eye with the scratch- that seems to be helping a lot. (I have chronic dry eye...so that's what i use to help keep that under control. I haven't worn any of my contacts since i hurt my eye, and don't plan to till I have an ok from my eye doctor just to be on the safe side. That's a problem though- because my glasses are not nearly as strong as they should be, so i can't see out of them to well......today, I had a 90 yr old lady reading the screen on my register to me today
....i swear, her eyes are better than mine! What a sweet little lady to.