Soft Claws Questions...

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I see this as a rather bad idea. My cats don't really tear stuff up but my Angel (right!!) likes to get a running start and leap up the door frame and grab on for fun then slide down. I don't understand this, but whatever gets her rocks off. On the other hand I do live in an apartment and it is not the best thing for me to let her do but they are old plaster walls with all sorts of cracks and little holes in them. anyways back to the soft claws. Won't they eat them? Can they eat them? How do you hold the cat down long enuogh to get them on? I mean my one cat would sleep though it. He sleeps though being picked up and moved. I just think they would eat them. they chew there claws alot. they do look cool. I don't know.... anything would be helpful!!

magnus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seen the product, but don't see how it'd be much better then just clipping and filing the claws every other week?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Javanna, you have to realize that it is close to Christmas, and people are very busy and are not spending as much time online right now. Have you done a search for "soft paws" or "soft claws" in this forum? You will find many useful threads.
I personally don't use this product, so I can not give you any advice. I do know some of our members swear by it.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JavannaLynn

Thanks alot for all the help....
I just now saw this and wanted to offer some suggestions and answers.
No, they don't eat them.No, they can't pull them off as easy as you think.They are actually GLUED onto their nails with special glue.Sort of like the glue for fake nails on women.
As for applying them, I have my 16 year old daughter hold them by the scruff of the neck and their hind legs.I clip their nails and then get a soft claw out and ready.I apply the glue into the soft paw and then slip them on their claws.I do back feet first cause Sapphire will scratch you to pieces.
The, I move onto the front ones.I have my daughter hold them for about 3-5 mintues to make sure the glue is dry.
YES, they will lick at them and TRY to pull them off.But, I've been using them for a few months and NONE of mine have pulled them off.They come off by the cats scraping in the litter boxes and scratching the scrath posts.It works the glue loose and then they fall off.You'll find them all on the floor or the litter box when you scoop it out.
You just reapply them as they fall off.
If I can be of any help, PLEASE feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I am one the swears by them and will NOT go without them!!!!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I swear by them too... they're awesome! Oliver's never eaten one, but I'd think if a cat did, it would just pass naturally... they're kinda like fake nails that people glue on - they'll fall off as your kitty's nails naturally shed... they may not stop your cat from running and jumping at the walls, but should stop the damage it causes

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Karen said, if you do a search for 'Soft Paws' you will find a lot of information on them. I have never used them but many of our members find them very sucessful.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also swear by them. I find that the easiest way to put them on is to wrap the cat in a towel much the same way that you would swaddle a baby. I only apply them to the front claws. When applies correctly they stay on for several weeks, sometimes up to 2 months or so before they naturally shed.

I've never seen Anya eat them (although she does bat them around the floor sometimes like they're toys). But I agree that if a cat were to ingest them they should pass through the system ok. They are very small and blunt.

Feel free to PM if you need help or have more questions.

keschete

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love Them....You just reminded me..I need to order more....I buy off ebay because if you look you can get them at reasonable prices.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get mine from the Cat and Kitten Store online - $15 including delivery (in the US).

I only apply them to the front claws, and it's helping our leather dining chairs a LOT! When you just trim the claws, they're shorter but can still cause damage - Soft Claws are a much better alternative!

I put the glue in as many of them as I need and have them ready, then my husband scruffs the cat, and I trim and just slide the caps on. They fall off at different times, so I end up doing just a few at a time every few weeks.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I get mine from the Cat and Kitten Store online - $15 including delivery (in the US).
I get them through the same place... it's an ebay store, right? The last set I ordered, we even got a free catnip mouse! Much cheaper than Petco/Petsmart and I can get blue online when the stores only have clear.... Oliver looks so good with blue front toes for football season - Go PennState!

I also only apply them to his front paws because, other than his playful bunnykicking, his back paws dont do any damage... plus I'd feel so bad if his back feet were capped and he had a REALLY bad itch that he couldn't satisfy, haha

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I get them through the same place... it's an ebay store, right? The last set I ordered, we even got a free catnip mouse! Much cheaper than Petco/Petsmart and I can get blue online when the stores only have clear.... Oliver looks so good with blue front toes for football season - Go PennState!

I also only apply them to his front paws because, other than his playful bunnykicking, his back paws dont do any damage... plus I'd feel so bad if his back feet were capped and he had a REALLY bad itch that he couldn't satisfy, haha
As far as I know, that is not an e-bay store
It's an actual company.
I buy mine from there also.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few questions I'd like to add. I'm thinking of getting these to try on Wickett's from paws. He doesn't do too much damage when clawing (he usually sticks to his rugs) but there's nothing quite as startling as waking up to the sound of a cat clawing on the mattress.

I'm wondering, should I cap his dew claws (thumbs) too? Also, how did your cats react after the first application. I'm afraid that he'll freak out. Can I get them off if he doesn't adjust to them?

Also, for those of you who do have them on your kits... can you post some close-ups of the caps on?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'm wondering, should I cap his dew claws (thumbs) too? Also, how did your cats react after the first application. I'm afraid that he'll freak out. Can I get them off if he doesn't adjust to them?

Also, for those of you who do have them on your kits... can you post some close-ups of the caps on?
i do the 'thumbs', too. i had the most trouble with the initial application, because i had to do 10 toes. now i just have to do 1-2 toes at a time, so it's much easier. altho you'd think i was causing great pain if you heard the complaints.
here's a pic of Java's toes. sorry that it's kinda hard to see...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I happen to think they look cute on. LOL I bet Wickett won't agree but at $15 for 40 I guess it's worth trying. My bigest concern is still how he'll react tohaving them on. He's very good about being handled in general and having his nails trimmed so aplication shouldn't be too bad... espically if I can get Purpa to help (he hates being the "bad guy").

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of Corwin with his red ones on.

as for them bothering the cats........the first time I put them on my kits, they tried to shake them off.They kind of walked funny for about 5 mintues and then they were just fine.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they'll do the funny leg shake thing at first, but they get used to them... Oliver wear's masculine blue ones, hehe... I cap the thumbs as well, you'd be surprised how often they can catch on something! For the caps being used on his thumbs, I trim them a little (on the open end) since the dew claws are kinda tiny... I'd also suggest trying to distract your kitty with play time or treats after you apply them, so he leaves them alone and the glue can dry... I don't think there's any way to get them off other than them naturally shedding off...