male cat....and female in heat....

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok ok I know I should have gotten them fixed! I honestly have been trying but alot of things have gone on and I kept putting it off. My fault completely! I understand I should have done it. now I regret not doing it. BUT now I have my girl locked in the bathroom crying and my boy on this side crying.
I feel soooo bad! I keep kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I guess my questions are how long should I keep them seporate? How do I tell when it is ok? how do I keep them from feeling like they are in trouble? Should I switch them (him in the bathroom her out)? Will they pee beacuse of this? I guess anything you can tell me! Please!!!

she is getting fixed right after christmas (next pay check). he is getting fixed in January.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh boy.....hope you got earplugs becuz you won't be getting much sleep with all that yowling. Cat heat can last for days. It will be exhausing for you and for the cats. I would keep them apart from here on till she is spayed...I would just be too afraid the boy will mate with her and something will happen.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tHEY NEED TO BE SEPERATE at all times until SHE is spayed. If he ends up getting neutered first he can still get her prego after for about a month. But at no times should unaltered cats be together. She may only be in heat sometimes but he is a horney little male kitty ALL THE TIME
He doesn't care if she is in heat or not. He will mate her if he can.

Good luck!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JavannaLynn

ok ok I know I should have gotten them fixed! I honestly have been trying but alot of things have gone on and I kept putting it off. My fault completely! I understand I should have done it. now I regret not doing it. BUT now I have my girl locked in the bathroom crying and my boy on this side crying.
I feel soooo bad! I keep kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I guess my questions are how long should I keep them seporate? How do I tell when it is ok? how do I keep them from feeling like they are in trouble? Should I switch them (him in the bathroom her out)? Will they pee beacuse of this? I guess anything you can tell me! Please!!!

she is getting fixed right after christmas (next pay check). he is getting fixed in January.
Short answer...they need to stay seperated until she is fixed.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd have to keep then separated now and keep the male confined for at least 30 days after neutering. While after spaying, she can't get pregnant (tho you don' want the male to be playing wrestling matches with her!.......the male can still get an unspayed cat pregnant within about 30 days - he still has some active sperm in his system.

So be sure to keep him inside and keep them apart till her stiches come out

I'm assuming by your initial post that they are both done by now since its mid-Janauary?