Interesting Dog at Starbucks

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As if anyone would care...
I made my daily run to Starbucks before work ( like I mentioned in the Starbucks thread I am a slave to their white choc mocha)
and outside,tied to the post, was the largest PURE WHITE dog i have ever ever seen. I believe it was the breed called Saluki.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/saluki/index.cfm
If it stood on it's hind legs it would be taller then me. The gentleman said that Mika (thats the dogs name) is a grandchampion retired. I was like OH MY GOODNESS! it was tall, and so white and had such a woolly coat, oh and the skinniest legs...its a breed i have never seen. I was so taken back by this dog i needed to share it with someone. I mean it was like mini skinny horse lol!

anyone know of anymore interesting breeds?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I have seen that kind of dog before. I believe it belonged to a friend of my mother's when I was a child. I don't remember going near it though! I was scared of big dogs and things for some reason back then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I think I have seen that kind of dog before. I believe it belonged to a friend of my mother's when I was a child. I don't remember going near it though! I was scared of big dogs and things for some reason back then.
the dog looked like it would eat children or maybe small sedans lol.
I would stay clear of it if it was a kid

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Salukis are beautiful dogs
one was in the last round of Crufts Dog Show in the UK in 2002. They are so graceful, I think they used to be hunting hounds for the Egypians and in the Middle East and considered to be the oldest pure-breed

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen them on the dog shows and Animal Planet's "Breed All About It" show did one on them. Even though they are large they are supposed to have the gentlest nature. I think that they are a "sight hound" I saw one running those courses where the dog chases the white rag that is tied to a rope around a field. Very graceful!!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
someone in my neighborhood owns what George Carlin (the wonderful comedian) would call a "HUGE GOSHDARN DOG" (although he wouldn't say "goshdarn"). I'm not sure what it is, its hair looks sort of wiry, and its sort of long, and a grayish black color..and it is HUGE. I dont even know how to explain how huge it is. I've lived here ten years and still, when I see him walking his dog down my street I just stare in awe. One of these days I'll go up and start a conversation and see if it's friendly so I can pet it. He just lives on the next block from me.

just did a search, and I'm pretty sure it's an Irish Wolfhound. It looks just like this:

except it looks a tad bigger than that dog.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is a beautiful Irish Wolfhound! They are wonderful dogs. I would love to have one some day. They are HUGE dogs. I believe they are the largest breed. I knew a woman who had two of them. She took them everywhere with her.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alaskan Malamutes are the bestest!
I have a malamutt (malamute mix). Wonderful dogs, but of course, not for everyone.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salukis are beautiful although I have never had the pleasure of meeting one in person. I think borzois are interesting, yet beautiful looking dogs.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive met a couple of Borzois. Very cool dogs! Its funny some shapes dogs come in though. My all time favorite breed is the good ole beagle. Nothing better then a tiny hound dog face.

Heres my hound dog Jada. Shes a Princess.

On the move!

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On our street there are two gigantic doggies, one is a Newfoundland and the other is a Bernese Mountain Dog. The Newfie is so hilarious, his name is Raspberry and whenever he goes for walks he carries his own leash in his mouth
. The Bernie, Laika, is such a gentle girl. Sometimes she escapes and you see her running down the street. She'll come when you call her though and she just gives you this very guilty look and goes home, I love her.
We also had an English Bulldog around the corner named Randall, and you would see him just standing there waiting for someone to pat him on the head, and when you were done he would just snort/sigh contentedly.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salukis do not have wooly coats, they have short sleek close-lying coats with longer fur on the ears and tail. Basically they look like a shorthaired dog with long-haired ears.

I believe the dog you saw may have been a Borzoi. They are sighthounds so are shaped similarly to Salukis, but they are larger with medium-long wavy or curly coats which may appear wooly.

Example:

As for interesting breeds, here are some I like (click links for photos!):

Tibetan Mastiff

Beauceron (especially the "Harlequin" color!)

Longhaired Weimaraner

Another huge white dog, the Kuvasz

Powderpuff Chinese Crested

Portuguese Podengo

Komondor

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (like a shorthaired Berner)

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The portoguese podengo is sooooooooooo cute. I love the sledding/spitz breeds typically but man, these little dudes just steal my heart.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah Great Danes are gorgeous... My favorite is the fawnequin (the color is a disqualification for showing but I think they're beautiful.)

If you have some time to kill, this is the best Great Dane site: http://www.ginnie.com/ddarchives.htm
They have these amazing photos and some digitally altered images of Great Danes and other stuff as well...

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Ive met a couple of Borzois. Very cool dogs! Its funny some shapes dogs come in though. My all time favorite breed is the good ole beagle. Nothing better then a tiny hound dog face.

Heres my hound dog Jada. Shes a Princess.

On the move!
Your dog looks like our Max, except he's no beagle. At 80lbs, he's a good sized hound, a treeing walker X as far as we know. Here are a couple pics.....
After a walk in the rain (that towel is HUGE and I do mean HUGE, don't let it fool you)....

This one of him on our full sized couch should give you an idea of his size. As you can see, he takes up just over half of it and it doesn't give his legs complete support......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Salukis do not have wooly coats, they have short sleek close-lying coats with longer fur on the ears and tail. Basically they look like a shorthaired dog with long-haired ears.

I believe the dog you saw may have been a Borzoi. They are sighthounds so are shaped similarly to Salukis, but they are larger with medium-long wavy or curly coats which may appear wooly.

Example:
totally looks like he dog i saw
like i said i have never seen a dog like that before and i was in awe.
thanks for the correction.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I can understand, Borzois are rather awe-inspiring, being SO large and exotic-looking. They are really neat dogs! I'd probably be amazed if I saw one out somewhere like that. I've only ever seen them at dog/pet shows.
Like the first time I met a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog "face to face" (not at a show), I was really excited!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention the Saluki, though, for me. I just saw a show on it and they said it could outrun ANY mammal in a 3 mile race
!

My favorite barely known dog is a Cardigan Corgi. They are small dogs (usually around 30 lbs or so), but have a big dog personality, and are very smart and trainable
. Here's what they look like (sorry the pics are black and white): http://www.cardigancorgis.com/GeneralInfo.aspx (Ya gotta scroll down to the puppy pics!