Why does my kitty act like she is hungry all the time?

luckymary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did change her food buy the way...to Iams. Wet food. She just loves the pate kind. So I am reading the side of the can and it says to feed her 1/2 a can a day (well it says 1 can for an 8 pound cat and she is about 4 pounds). So I give her the half can and she eats it all and then all day long everytime I go into the kitchen she follows me and gives me that meeooowww. That, "I am hungry", meow. I am leaving out some dry food for her to snack on, but she doesn't seem to interested in it. Could she really be hungry still? I don't want her to be hungry.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try feeding her a quarter of a can twice a day instead of half once a day. If she has food but isn't eating it I doubt she's starving. Maybe a little hungry but more than likely she's trying to guilt you into more wet food. My kitties get a 1/4 can of wet each in the evening. A bit of dry before bed (like 2-3 table spoons) and then a 1/4 or dry eash in the mornings. Even with all that food (which is plenty for them) they still follow us into the kitchen and whine for food.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat?
Is her weightt good or is she thin or chunky?
]I ask because kittens generally eat more than an adult cat because they are still growing. Also, like people, some cats will have a faster metabolizsm and some slower which would effect their food needs. Your kitty may need just a bit more to eat.

I would probably try upping her to 2/3 of a can a day in 3 feedings and see if that sets better with her. It wouldn't be that much more food, but might be what she needs.

Wet is better than dry and there are even higher quality foods out there that may better satisfy her appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckymary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

How old is your cat?
Is her weightt good or is she thin or chunky?
]I ask because kittens generally eat more than an adult cat because they are still growing. Also, like people, some cats will have a faster metabolizsm and some slower which would effect their food needs. Your kitty may need just a bit more to eat.

I would probably try upping her to 2/3 of a can a day in 3 feedings and see if that sets better with her. It wouldn't be that much more food, but might be what she needs.

Wet is better than dry and there are even higher quality foods out there that may better satisfy her appetite.
She is a good weight..not chuncky or thin. She is a pretty active little kitty though. I will try the 3 times a day thing and see if she is less meaowy.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luckymary

She is a good weight..not chuncky or thin. She is a pretty active little kitty though. I will try the 3 times a day thing and see if she is less meaowy.
Like Tru wondered, I wonder how old your cat is. I follow the advice in Kittens for Dummies and leave out food for Persi at ALL times. He is nearing 8 months old but still growing like crazy but NOT FAT AT ALL.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Like Tru wondered, I wonder how old your cat is. I follow the advice in Kittens for Dummies and leave out food for Persi at ALL times. He is nearing 8 months old but still growing like crazy but NOT FAT AT ALL.
Oh, if he looks fat to you, that is all hair, trust me.

tagsmom899301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a kitten you have to double the amount being fed. Kittens require twice the amount of food that adult cats require. JellyBean goes through 2 cans of cat food a day. He only weighs 5 pounds and is 6 months old. He seems a bit on the thin side to me, his hip bones stick out but the Vet said he is fine, could maybe stand to gain a bit more but when I go to up his food intake he throws it up so he isn't ready yet (sorry got side tracked).

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed LIttle One for times a day which is just about a can of Nutro wet. He eats dry food like it is going out of style. I monitor when I feed him the dry so my adults can eat too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're going to switch to feeding her 3x a day. I'm sorry she isn't interested in the dry food - that would really help the problem.

But think about how cats' systems are set up - to eat lots of tiny meals throughout the day and night (whenever they would catch a mouse or whatever).

Our cats free feed on dry food throughout the day, and we feed them one meal of wet food at dinner time. They think of the dry food as their food and the wet food as a "treat." But when they eat, they eat a couple of mouthfuls at a time - and they do this 10s of times a day.

So your kitty may be getting enough calories from the 1/2 can at one feeding - but her tummy is empty, when it should almost always have something in it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Oh, if he looks fat to you, that is all hair, trust me.
That is funny! Always when I go to pick up a longhair cat you find it is a lot slimmer than it looks, your hands just sink in to all that fur up to the wrists!