Arthritis needs warmth?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do cats/animals with arthritis need warmth?

B's cat Beauty we believe has arthritis (he's being stupid about taking her to the vet). There are many days now that its cold and dry outside that Beauty will just press herself against the register waiting for the heat to come on.

We really can't afford to turn the heat up too much more (for a warm Nov and 1000 sq ft we paid $175 for heat last month). So I went out and got a humidifier to help with the heating costs and help put some moisture back in the air.

Is there anything else we should do? I would think that if B could get her to the vet then at least we could get her some meds

Also I have been giving her "Happy Hips" everyday (the joint supplement)

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might like one of those Wheat bags that you warm in the microwave, they stay warm for quite a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! We do have one of those.

I found out that B has been leaving the heater on during the day...I'm concerned that something will catch fire...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of months ago, I began looking for a heated pad for our 17 y/o arthritic Sophie. The only store that carried them was a farm store. They were a little pricey ( I believe the cheapest was $40), but that would probably end up being cheaper than turning up the heat or leaving a heater on all day. Like Beauty, Sophie had begun sleeping directly over the heating vent.
Unfortunately, I don't have experience using a heated pad, as we lost Sophie to cancer just 2 days after I started looking.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heat pad are great for older or arthritic animals ... she also may need a diet change as I am finding out ... I recommend the self heat pad... basically it is a bed with materials that reflect the animals own heat ...Happy hips likely isnt enough of a supplement as If meomory serves it is a little chicken treat???

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent suggestions! Thank you!

I'll look into the heating pad. Is this something that I could leave on all day without much risk of a fire?

Actually, her laying in front of the vent is the fire I'm worried about...

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'll look into the heating pad. Is this something that I could leave on all day without much risk of a fire?
it's not electric. it has a mylar lining that reflects the cats body warmth back up at them, like a survival blanket for camping, only it is covered w fleece. I just bought one for Abi on ebay for $9.00.

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Marty, 15 years old, has arthritis in his hind legs. I took a regular heating pad and put it in the cat bed cover. He loves it. Do not leave it on when you are not home. Good Luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This might not be of much help, but we have had an infrared heat lamp for years, which we've used for twice or thrice daily treatments of arthritic dogs and cats. Ten or fifteen minutes two or three times a day seems to ease those aching joints.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering - does glucosamine work for cats the same way it works for humans? No-one try this on my recommendation without confirming that it's OK for cats please!!!

I have arthritis and dread those cold winter mornings because it really does make it a lot worse - heating pad sounds like an excellent idea (now if I can get one for my bed
)

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by jcat

This might not be of much help, but we have had an infrared heat lamp for years, which we've used for twice or thrice daily treatments of arthritic dogs and cats. Ten or fifteen minutes two or three times a day seems to ease those aching joints.
or how about a whirlpool bath? sorry I couldn't help myself LOL

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering - does glucosamine work for cats the same way it works for humans? No-one try this on my recommendation without confirming that it's OK for cats please!!!
Cosequin is basically glucosamine chondroitin for kitties and it DOES work! My 10 yo has arthritis in her hips and I give her Cosequin twice a day.

A nice snuggly bed will also help keep the kitty warm. I use old towels and blankets in a plastic tote (w/out the lid of course) and they love it!

Stephanie

xb183

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have noticed for the first time this year that my 8 year old cat Tilly is very reluctant to jump up on chairs etc, we took her to the vets but he could not find anything on the x-rays, would arthritis show up on a x-ray ? even if its a mild form, its unny as she eats fine and does have a play about but have noticed that she loves sitting by the fire, she is over weight, weighing 7kg when she should be 4.5 kg, what i was going to mention was try a gentle massage on her hips,mine seems to like this and maybe try it a few times a day,it may help a bit.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

or how about a whirlpool bath? sorry I couldn't help myself LOL
You may laugh, but my sister's St. Bernard gets whirlpool treatments at the vet's. He's three-legged, and they seem to help his remaining back leg with the strain.
The heat lamp has always been extremely popular with pets around here.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xb183

i have noticed for the first time this year that my 8 year old cat Tilly is very reluctant to jump up on chairs etc, we took her to the vets but he could not find anything on the x-rays, would arthritis show up on a x-ray ? even if its a mild form, its unny as she eats fine and does have a play about but have noticed that she loves sitting by the fire, she is over weight, weighing 7kg when she should be 4.5 kg, what i was going to mention was try a gentle massage on her hips,mine seems to like this and maybe try it a few times a day,it may help a bit.
Yes, it will, although I don't know how severe it has to be in order for it to show up. I remember it when my family dog had her X-rays. Basically it just looks blurred in the area of the joints.

Beauty has had the same issue with getting on the bed. It's been since I've known her. B thought that she was being silly, but as I got to know Beauty more, I think she's had arthritis longer than we think (she is 12 yrs). Problem is that she was somewhere between 25-30 lbs. Since B and I moved in together I put the cats on a stricter diet (measured cups per day) and Beauty has since lost a TON of weight. She's probably 10-12 lbs now. I think that since she's lost the weight thats when the arthritis became more noticeable.

Lately though she has lost a significant more and we're thinking she has a sore mouth. I've been finding crumbs in the hard food (past 2 weeks) and so now we're putting her on a soft food diet to make sure she doesn't lose more weight.