Need some advice

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, it is Tammy-Timmy again. I think she is a Silver Tabby mix. She is hyper.

The thing that gets me though is that she will run across the kitchen and living room and slam into the bedroom door. (I keep the bedroom door closed). How many times is this going to happen before she gets brain-damaged??? (Maybe she already IS brain-damaged)

Does anyone else have a cat that does things like this, or am I the only lucky one?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Radar does this all the time - he gets so excited when he's playing and running around that I have lost count of the number of times he has run straight into something. When we first got him I was worried that he was blind or something but his sight is fine, he's just nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was just playing and not paying attention, that would be one thing. She, however, is deliberately smashing into the door. I think she has a closed door fetish, but I gotta tell you, when she hits that door you can hear it all over the house.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but I got this great visual of her ramming into the door. I'm not quite sure what to do, as our cats will often run into things during play. I know Escher used to ram into the door when we closed it, but that was before the little bugger figured out how to turn door knobs (just a little bit so he can't open most doors, just our bathroom door if you're not careful when closing it). He did the ramming mostly when he was younger and now if he can't get the door open he'll just sit and whine.

Have you thought about maybe putting something in front of the door so that she doesn't have a clear shot...haha, maybe a trampoline turned on it's side so that when she hits it at full speed she'll fly backwards,
you would HAVE to get a video of that. Lol, no, but maybe something like a vaccuum cleaner (might also scare her away), or if you're really concerned about her hurting herself, a pillow.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, you know what, that's a good idea. I can put a kid gate in front of the door to stop her from slamming into it.

By the way, a couple of times she DID bounce. This cat is nuts. I've never seen anything like her.

She hasn't learned how to turn knobs yet, that's probably next.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You sure have your hand full with Timmy-Tammy, don't you?

A gate is not a bad idea. However, maybe what we did when Ming Loy came home isn't a bad idea? Buy 2 cheap pillows, and tape them (LOTS OF DUCT TAPE!) to the bottom of the door.

Ming Loy was brain damaged irrepairably, and she couldn't control her back legs very well. She could go REALLY fast - but she had little or no muscle control the first few months. We used bubble wrap on anything with a corner, and we taped pillows to things she regularly ran into and we put pillows underneath ANYTHING she could climb up onto.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not kidding with the full hands.

If I open the bedroom door, she's in there like a shot. She runs to the bed, jumps up on it, turns around and runs out the door again.

If she stays on the bed, I call her and tell her that I am going to shut her in. Sometimes she just sits there, with that "I dare you to" look. I shut the door, take two steps and she is moaning piteously at the door to come out.

I'm going to get tranquilizers. I can't stand the smell of vodka anymore I have drunk too much of it trying to keep my sanity.

I have to admit, she has taught me some things......mostly tell people "NO" when they ask if you want a stray.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I think she has a closed door fetish
Funny, I immediatly thought about my Koko when I read your post. She is hyper and does some crazy things at time. Of all of my cats, she is the one with fetishes, the primary one being the need to lick bare toes (but only when you are in the kitchen or bathroom). We joke that she was in the womb with polydactyl brother Elwood and he had his toes in her face during gestation.

Could this be an obsessive-compulsive behavior issue with them? Toe licking is one thing - the worst of it is that it tickles us. But door slamming could hurt her! Have you tried anything to redirect her?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hummmmm, someone suggested a .38 but I told them no.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I hate to be the one to say this, but I doubt that would stop Tammy-Timmy!

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Good one.

Is she a siamese? My crazy siamese mix gets so nuts she sometimes slides across the wood floors and into a wall. I need to get a video camera.