5 week old kittens w/ fleas

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have mentioned before that i will be getting a new kitten from my bf's brother. well his mom told me yesterday that they have fleas realy bad and she isnt sure how to get rid of them... mom is still nursing the kittens,. does any body have any advise on how to get rid of the fleas on the kitttens and on the mom??? please help, i dont wanna bring a flea infested kitten home!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyprincess

I have mentioned before that i will be getting a new kitten from my bf's brother. well his mom told me yesterday that they have fleas realy bad and she isnt sure how to get rid of them... mom is still nursing the kittens,. does any body have any advise on how to get rid of the fleas on the kitttens and on the mom??? please help, i dont wanna bring a flea infested kitten home!!!
Kittyprincess...just so you know....fleas has been a topic of discussion many times. One thing you can do is click the "search" option above and type in fleas and kittens and it will bring up other threads from members who have had issues with fleas. Here is the suggestion that Gaye has provided in the past:

The best way to remove fleas from very young kittens:

Your lice comb will probably be fine for this. You will need a bowl of hot water to which you will add just a small drop of dishwashing liquid - you don't need much, just enough to make the water a little sudsy. Also get a bunch of dry paper towels, believe me, you will need them. Don't just take the whole roll, tear a bunch off so they are at the ready. Gently pick up a baby and comb gently in the direction of fur growth to capture the fleas on the teeth of the comb. Quickly dip the comb completely into the water. Totally submerse it to dislodge the fleas. They will float to the top and try to jump off the surface of the water. Cover the bowl when you are combing to prevent this. Dry the comb thoroughly so as not to get baby wet at all and repeat this until you have removed the fleas. Work as quickly as you can so as not to upset Momma and do not put the baby you have just finished back into the nest with the other kittens until ALL of the kittens are combed.

Once all the kittens have been combed, take out the old bedding and wash it thoroughly in hot water and bleach or discard it wrapped up in a sealed plastic trash bag. Replace the bedding with clean and then put the kittens back in the nest. You will need to replace the bedding each and every time you comb the kittens until all the fleas are gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok i will do that also thanks for the info u put in the reply

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens/mom have that many fleas ON them, you can bet there is a lot more in the house in the carpet, furniture, etc.

Not only will your brother/mom have to deflea the cats, you will also have to treat the home too. They need to get a few flea collars and cut them up and put them in the vacuumn cleaner and keep vacuumning a lot in the carpet/furniture.

Fleas can kill very young kittens - making them anemic so its very important to get them off now. Also the kittens probably will have tapeworms, so you'll have to discuss proper medical treatment with your vet when you take the kitten in. I agree, you don't want to be bringing fleas into your home.

Didn't they check the mother before bringing her in the house before she had the kittens?