Permission to vent. Bummed today - Money related.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope alittle venting isn't minded
I'm just having one of those days...well, week really.

I'm one of those people who worries, probably needlessly about money, how much they have saved especially. This whole month isn't helping
On November 9th, the day we brought home Reeses actually, I started being out of work because of a repetitive stress/overuse problem. This went on until the 27th when I finally returned back to work. The problem was that this whole time I didn't get paid except for one week because my absense has to be approved through two different sources before I get paid. I was actually supposed to get paid for the first 5 days of the absense but work screwed up and didn't give it to me. Finally just this last week I got part of it, I'm still waiting for the rest. I still haven't gotten any of my back pay either from the rest of the absense even though I've been approved for a week. I've been told it can take a few weeks. Great.

To top it off, we've had computer problems at work so I haven't been in most of this week either, so I'm not getting paid for that. Then that coupled with Reeses vet bills, which have totaled about $800 so far not including her initial visit after we got her, and Christmas shopping, has got me really down.

I know I shouldn't be. I've only been married a year and have no kids, with quite a bit in savings (I'm not loaded but I suppose it's alot for someone my age). I have a friend who has a baby on the way and is living paycheck to paycheck. But it's when you haven't put much in in the past few months for one reason or another, and then stuff like this happens. Plus as I said, I'm a natural born worrier anyway, so that doesn't help the situation

Thanks for listening..er, reading

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We should stick together. Congrats on being newly married. I am also. I quit my job of 7 years 2 months ago do to stress. I don't drive and supposed to learn. We found new kitty the other day. We are barely making it on his pay. We have money but it is supposed to be for a downpayment on a house. I hate to touch it but the spending money is disappearing. Little one has only cost us about $200 so far but seems so much when you realize you are not saving anymore. I am ready to hit my 401k but would take a huge hit. Luckily I saved my last pay for the holidays & kept to a budget. Keep your chin up! It will get better!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing is we're not strapped for cash. Even with the things coming up, we still are able to take out of savings or just even by the little I"ve gotten in the past few weeks + my wife's pay. I think alot of my problem is I have regret about some $$ decisions I've made or things that come up and think "I should have X saved by now" Though I'm sure if I said how much we had, quite a few would tell me to quit worrying.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel and I am newly married also. We don't have much in savings yet. I feel like we are making a decent amount but we have had SO many expenses lately. I always pay my credit card off every month, but this month I just can't do it. My job is extremely stressful and I haven't been able to find a new one yet. I'm scared to quit because I don't think we could make it on one salary. But I think the only thing to do is try not to worry so much and keep trying to spend less / save more...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

That's the thing is we're not strapped for cash. Even with the things coming up, we still are able to take out of savings or just even by the little I"ve gotten in the past few weeks + my wife's pay. I think alot of my problem is I have regret about some $$ decisions I've made or things that come up and think "I should have X saved by now" Though I'm sure if I said how much we had, quite a few would tell me to quit worrying.
Well, you're right to keep on top of it, but worrying doesn't help - however telling a worrier to "quit worrying" is about as helpful as telling a drug addict "well, quit doing drugs".

I would suggest that you consider going for some cognitive therapy - living life with a high level of worry is quite hard on the body and the mind, plus it just sucks a lot of fun out of life.

One of my friends had to deal with her worry issues as part of her treatment for CFS, and they put her on a very low dose of anti-depressents for several months (to help her start to relax and give her a chance to learn) the cognitive behavioural stuff. It has made a huge difference to her life, but she would have just put up with it if she'd never gotten CFS and been encouraged to treat it while treating the CFS. We just put up with it.

I guess I'm saying that I hope you consider not just putting up with it any more.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the good news is that Accounting needs to have everything wrapped up before the end of 2006. So any back pay your company still owes you is suppose to be paid off before then (so that they can properly report it on their taxes) or the first week of January -so that they can close out December and the rest of 2006.

Good luck to you though and just remember, this time of year EVERYONE spends too much! Just financially recover in January