Looks like we have a sixth cat...

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, as of last night, it looks like we have a sixth cat.

I feed the stray cats around our apartment (there's A LOT!). Most are very scared and won't go near us, so I just put the food out and let them be. The first cat we started feeding I called Mommy Cat - she had two kittens (who have since disappeared - but they let me pet them, so I bet someone took them in, they were too cute). One night Erik and I got back from dinner and I saw a cat that I thought was Mommy across the parking lot, so I called to her (Mommy answers to her name). Well this cat bolted across the parking lot towards us, meowing her head off. She's been back to our porch every night, meowing at me anytime she sees me. A few weeks ago she started rubbing up against my leg, then let me pet her, and then let me hold her. She's such a lovey kitty.

About a week and a half ago, Erik and I talked about it and decided to see if she wanted to come in. We closed the other cats in the bedroom and opened the door - she skirted in and out, but wouldn't stay, she seemed very uncomfortable. We just decided it wasn't meant to be and left it at that.

I stopped putting food out because we decided it was best to ween her off of coming up to our apartment for food since we'll be moving - the lady below us puts out food, she could get used to going to her. Funny, though, she bypassed her food and came up to our place, so I eventually started putting food out again.

Yesterday I headed out to go to the pre-deployment briefing and there she was, sitting on our porch. During the day, I've never seen her during daylight hours. I put some food out and headed down to the truck to put the trash bag into the back (so I could drive it to the dumpster on my way out of the parking lot). Well the kitty follows me down there and back up, running a few steps ahead, stopping to see if I'm coming, then going again. On my way back up I lost track of her - then saw her hiding in the bushes. I thought to myself, I bet that's where she's been hiding all this time, that's how she knows when we're home (every time we come home I get food then come back out to put it out - the little rat is already waiting on the porch, I've known for a while now that she's been watching us from someplace).

Sure enough, we got home later and I bend over and see two little eyes staring back at me - this little kitty had been living in a bush at the bottom of our stairs this whole time. I talked to her and she meowed, then I started walking and she followed me up. It was freezing out last night and it's only supposed to get colder, I told her to get inside, she's done living out there. I left the door open and let her try to come in - she'd step in then out and rub along our bikes (locked on our porch). I picked her up and brought her in - and she didn't fight me this time. I think she knows it's getting cold and she needs somewhere warm to be. And honestly, she decided she was living with us weeks ago when she started coming around. Period.

We let her explore the apartment a bit and let the cats get used to seeing her, and she spent the night closed up in the office and the office bathroom so she can get used to being inside. I visited her over the night and she was so sweet, purring and loving on me. I have a litter box with litter and dirt in it (not sure if she knows how to use a regular box) and she used it over the night. The boys and Trixie aren't bothered by her...the girls will take a little bit...but that's normal.

I have a vet appointment at 11 so we'll see how things go.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great! lots of vibes that she is healthy, she sounds like a great addition to your home!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, she sounds very sweet. I'm so glad she's found a loving home with you!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed the stray cats around our apartment (there's A LOT!). Most are very scared and won't go near us, so I just put the food out and let them be.
Crystal211..if there are lots of strays that you are feeding...you need to try to get a TNR group involved or borrow a humane trap and start trapping these cats so that they can be spayed/neutered.

If you are not familiar with TNR..I highly recommend that you read up on the Alley Cat Allies website about it and why it truly is important to have a plan to have the cats spayed/neutered as well as feed them:

http://www.alleycat.org/visitor.html

If you can start trappinig now..you will have a direct impact on next year's kitten season because all these cats will no longer be able to have homeless kittens.

Below is a list of TNR groups in North Carolina...even if one isn't close by...it's still worth reaching out to them to find out if they know anyone in your area.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#nc

Also, I am including a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics in case you borrow a trap and need to find a low cost clinic:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#nc

Katie

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! Have you considered starting a rescue at home and adopting these kitties out to others? We had a neighbor do that. She worked with other shelters in the area and would take them to her house if they were full until they had room. She only dealt with humane ones that wouldn't put the kitties down if they weren't adopted. You have a good heart. Good luck at the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually am looking into something like that - when we have a house in Cleveland and I'm not renting an apartment, I'm going to explore all my options. I have more ideas than I know what to do with, lol!

We just got back from the vet - she's 100% healthy, not spayed, and about 13-14 months old. Now for thinking of a name...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crystal211

I actually am looking into something like that - when we have a house in Cleveland and I'm not renting an apartment, I'm going to explore all my options. I have more ideas than I know what to do with, lol!

We just got back from the vet - she's 100% healthy, not spayed, and about 13-14 months old. Now for thinking of a name...
Crystal....I wouldn't wait on when you purchase a home. I would start trying to get a group involved now....even if these cats have to be returned back outdoors..they will be returned without being able to become pregnant or impregnate another cat. It also has a positive impact in the fact that the behaviors associated with mating: fighting, spraying etc. are significantly reduced.

The feral cat clinic I belong with was just made aware of a colony of over 200+ cats that are living at a landfill. There were people who were feeding the cats..but nothing was being done to get them spayed/neutered...so the colony grew in size. We are attempting to do a mass trapping over the next 4 months to try to get every last cat and kitten fixed. I just don't want to see your colony turn into an unmanagable number of cats..which is why there is no time like now to start getting them trapped and spayed/neutered.

BTW..congrats on your new addition....sounds like she will need to be spayed fairly soon.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ Sorry, forgot to mention I'm moving to Cleveland in a week, lol.
I'm renting a house from my dad.

And everyone...meet Penny (named after one of the puppies in "101 Dalmatians" to keep our Disney/cartoon theme)...

lol, and a hissing Penny when Trixie jumped up to get a toy I had in my hand, scared her so bad!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm moving to Cleveland in a week, lol. I'm renting a house from my dad.
Chrystal...can you PM me the location you are in now so that I can notify some TNR groups about the strays that need to be spayed/neutered. Also..if there is anyone else that is feeding these cats..pass along that they need to be spayed/neutered.

Katie

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Penny is such a beautiful cat! BTW, I noticed the Kitty Cubes in the pic (the blue things to the right). I have a lot of these, and my guys love them! Only $3.88 at Walmart, too. I sewed 3 together to make a cat tunnel; alas, it was the day before I knew my 1 foster kitten has FeLV, and had to separate the rest of the litter--they had so much fun that day, chasing each other through the cubes. I now use it for the FeLV cat--I put soft fabric in 1 cube, and he sleeps there.

MargeCat