Thinking about new kitty, do you think this a good sign?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Came home today covered in our pub landlady's cat's hair, having given it a good long cuddle (friendly little thing it is). Radar's reaction was to give my sweater a good sniff and then lay down with his head against it, purring.

We're thinking of adding another cat to our family, I am taking Radar's reaction as a really good sign that he would accept a newcomer well - would that be right do you think? He is a very friendly and outgoing cat, at least when it comes to meeting new humans - they all have to be investigated and played with

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Came home today covered in our pub landlady's cat's hair, having given it a good long cuddle (friendly little thing it is). Radar's reaction was to give my sweater a good sniff and then lay down with his head against it, purring.

We're thinking of adding another cat to our family,
I am taking Radar's reaction as a really good sign that he would accept a newcomer well
- would that be right do you think? He is a very friendly and outgoing cat, at least when it comes to meeting new humans - they all have to be investigated and played with
I would think that Radar's reaction was certainly a good sign. That was a very good idea, did you do that on purpose? You may have discovered a way to predetermine whether cats are going to get along. I can certainly find no fault in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by gemlady

Is Nate ready?
We know that Radar is a happy cat, but both feel a bit of guilt that he is an only cat, we have both been doing the 'shall we, shan't we?' deliberating over the idea of getting another for a while now. Nate says we have a '2 cat limit' (not bad considering it was a '1 cat limit' when we got Radar
) but my powers of persuasion are plentiful

Originally Posted by Persi

I would think that Radar's reaction was certainly a good sign. That was a very good idea, did you do that on purpose? You may have discovered a way to predetermine whether cats are going to get along. I can certainly find no fault in it.
We didn't do it on purpose at all - Nate was on late shift and I met him in the pub after work, the place was otherwise empty, and the bar manager appeared with the cat (Suzie) and said 'here you go Laura' and plonked her in my arms - they all know I am daft about cats and Suzie is a particularly calm and cuddly creature!

I am pleased that this looks like a good sign, I've also come home before after having a dog lying on my feet and his only reaction was to sniff and then rub his face all over my shoes so that they smelled like him again! No hissing or anything. He does play rough, so if we get a kitten smaller than him it will be supervised playtimes until the younger one is big enough not to get squished

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He he he he he....pardon the cultural differences I mean no offense, but I find daft a funny word!

I think Radar's known all along he wants a friend....that's why he's been such a well-behaved boy. Just make sure his buddy isn't too young & impressionable or your home won't be safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

He he he he he....pardon the cultural differences I mean no offense, but I find daft a funny word!
None taken, daft IS a funny word! That's one of the reasons I enjoy using it so much

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I think Radar's known all along he wants a friend....that's why he's been such a well-behaved boy. Just make sure his buddy isn't too young & impressionable or your home won't be safe!