Tree skirts outside of the US?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been looking at the wonderful pics of the Christmas decor, and I have a question. I know that there is no such thing as Christmas tree skirts in Australia because I picked a real pretty silvery quilted & beaded one for Danielle in the after Christmas sales last year.
But now it's got me thinking...is the US the only place with tree skirts? Surely I've seen them on our northern neighbors' trees, at least I think I have. What about elsewhere in the world?

I've grown so accustomed to seeing them on every Christmas tree that trees without them look nekkid to me!

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I live in Victoria in Canada and we have always had a skirt around our tree. I have to agree with you that a tree does look naked until something is wrapped around the base!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

We don't have them in the UK either. Actually i meant to ask this the other day when i saw them in pictures, but what are they for?.
For being pretty.

Basically I think mainly just to cover up the not terribly attractive base that the tree is in.

And if you're a smarty cat owner, you pick a color that makes the kitties look good, like Karen did for Abby!

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could find mine!
Susan they're mostly for show, but they do a good job of hiding an ugly tree stand and keeping the kits out of the nasty tree-water. (they also make it a bugger to get in and refill the tree-water, but that's the price we pay. . .) And they make a lovely place to lay out the pretty presents
Mine is a burgundy tafetta that I picked up on sale last year, and I plan to theme my tree w/burgundy & gold decorations.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

We don't have them in the UK either. Actually i meant to ask this the other day when i saw them in pictures, but what are they for?.
They are for the kitties to sleep on of course! I was just looking at your thread in fur pics and thinking that you needed a tree skirt!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a tree skirt?
I mean what does it look like? I'm conjuring up some rather amusing images in my mind! Anyone have a pic?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

They are for the kitties to sleep on of course!
That's what they're for in my house! Forget putting the presents under the tree...we'd have to move the sleeping cats first. (And we can't go moving the sleeping kitties, can we?
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

What is a tree skirt?
I mean what does it look like? I'm conjuring up some rather amusing images in my mind! Anyone have a pic?
Here's my tree from last year, with Ophelia on the tree skirt.

(excuse the mess and clutter...it was a small apartment for all of our junk!)

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What is a tree skirt?
Okay, you two are making me feel like a non-UKer!
I've grown up with tree skirts and we always have the most beautiful ones in the garden centres near to my parents'! They also sell them in many garden centres in and around ours - Susanne!

Susan, they are to hide the stand for the Christmas tree!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just used an old sheet. Sister has one with the outlines of her grandkids hands on it - showing how much they have grown.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's only partly decorative. Obviously, it's also functional in that it hides the stand, but I think it may also be for ease of tidying away fallen pine needles.

Well, prepared to be shocked when I post pics of my skyclad World Tree tomorrow.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I see them as an extra kitty blanket just for the holidays!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kiki_585

Hello,

I live in Victoria in Canada and we have always had a skirt around our tree. I have to agree with you that a tree does look naked until something is wrapped around the base!
I think trees look weird without the skirt.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I've grown up with tree skirts and we always have the most beautiful ones in the garden centres near to my parents'! They also sell them in many garden centres in and around ours - Susanne!
Never heard of them before! Honest! I can see how they make good kitty blankets though
Must have been invented by a cat to provide an good excuse to lie near the tree (handy for that sneaky swipe when they think no-one's looking).

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I've grown up with tree skirts and we always have the most beautiful ones in the garden centres near to my parents'! They also sell them in many garden centres in and around ours
I've never seen them?, but i'll be looking at the garden centres now, but i don't know if i would have one though?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Never heard of them before! Honest! I can see how they make good kitty blankets though
Must have been invented by a cat to provide an good excuse to lie near the tree (handy for that sneaky swipe when they think no-one's looking).
That's so funny! I really thought that everyone had! All my friends parents had them when we were growing up too - so I just assumed that everyone had them!

Oh yes, there are perfect sleeping spots! When we're at my parents' over Christmas, if you can't find a cat, they'll be under the Christmas tree!

I've never seen them?, but i'll be looking at the garden centres now, but i don't know if i would have one though?
They do have some really beautiful ones! I love them because once all the presents have gone (or before they arrive) the tree looks pretty underneath and you don't see the base!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

A red one would look fantastic with your tree!