i need help!!!

tailormade03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 grey cats 1 female 18mths old and a male 15mths old and last yr she had a litter ok kittens, as i wanted grey kittens i kept both cats indoors using the litter tray. Once the kittens had gone i decided to get there jabs done as they were climbing the walls to go out!! This was fine in the summer when it was a bit warmer but now they don't want to stay out!! The problem i have is that i want to take the litter tray away, so i end up shuting them out all day as i don't trust them in without me around with no litter tray as they have poooed b4 elsewhere even when the litter tray was around! The thing is they don't no how to tell me they want to go out and how do i teach them that?? I feel really cruel shuting them out all day then they come in 4 tea then i shut them out again then let them back in b4 i go to bed, its no life for them and i am getting nothing from them. I do keep the litter tray overnight as i took it away for a few nights and they ended up poooing everywhere else. I want to remove litter tray completley just would like some advice on how i could do that. I really am at the end of my tether so much so the thought of rehoming has entererd my head as a last resort any help much apprieciated
Natalie x

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think you should keep the litterbox. Having a litterbox is part of having a cat. Re-homing a cat because you don't want to have a litterbox is not a good option.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above post. Why don't youwant the litter tray. one pan is not that hard to keep clean and with the clumping litters it is very easy. Scooping is a very easy habit to get into. You scoop once a day after they go to the bathroom. Surely there must be an out of the way place to keep it? You wouldn't want someone to take away your toilet and tell you to go out the bushes. IF you are determined to not provide them with the basics, food, shelter and litter, I think you should rehome them. By the way are they neutered? It doesn't sound as if they are, so aren't you worried about both of them repopulating the neighborhood?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they actually have all gray kittens? Curious, just because the parents are both gray doesn't mean all the babies will be. You said you wanted them but you didn't mention if you are trying to keep all the kittens outside too. Did you get rid of them all?

That being said, if they don't want to stay out you can't make them. I don't understand why you are considering rehoming them? Cats and litterboxes go hand in hand unless they are outdoor cats from the beginning. You can't start putting them outside and expect them to be find going to the bathroom outside, cats are finicky and don't usualy care for major changes. They need the option for when they come inside. I agree with you that is cruel to deny them of coming in and leave them outside all day. Just get a big litterbox or two for inside. Is it really that big of a deal?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree here - if someone can reject those two because he's too lazy (or whatever) to deal with litter, I think the cats absolutely should go to somewhere they'll be loved and appreciated. I've never heard of such a thing - the dangers they're being subjected to outdoors, and the feeling of rejection... uggh!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I disagree here - if someone can reject those two because he's too lazy (or whatever) to deal with litter, I think the cats absolutely should go to somewhere they'll be loved and appreciated. I've never heard of such a thing - the dangers they're being subjected to outdoors, and the feeling of rejection... uggh!
Well I usually try to give the person the benefit of the doubt. They said it crossed their mind, they didn't say they were definately going to do it. I agree that the cats are feeling rejected but at least the OP is aware and feels bad about it. I am sad to see that the thought crossed their mind as when you have a cat you have a litterbox, that is just kinda how it is. I don't see how one litterbox can be such a burden that one would rehome their cats because they don't want to deal with one. I am kind of curious about what the problem with a litterbox is?

ALSO in the UK it is more common to let cats outside. I have heard that many shelters won't even adopt to someone who doesn't have a cat flap on the doors.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even outdoor cats need to have a litter tray provided. When the weather gets colder many cats don't want to go outside (and who can blame them!) so you need to give them the option of a litter tray. They may also be caught short in the night or taken ill, and if you ever move house with them you'll need to keep them indoors for a while before they go outside so it helps if they are used to using a tray. A tray also makes it easier to pick up on problems such as diarrheoa, constipation or UTIs. I agree - having a litter tray around the house is part and parcel of having a cat.

Yes it is common for cats over here to be indoor/outdoor but most rescues do actually recommend keeping them in at night, so a tray is necessary then.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in the UK I always had inside/outside cats (unless they chose to be indoors). But I always had a litter box and usually a catflap so that the cats could choose to be where they wanted to be. Is there any possibility of installing a catflap where you live? It is cruel to shut the cats out all the time, especially in winter as cats hate cold and wet. And have you tried a covered litter box - it is neater and cleaner if you have to keep it in the hall or bathroom. And like the others, I would hope that you get these cats neutered if they are not already. I am also curious about you wanting grey kittens and then letting them go (I presume to new homes?)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Er.... in the UK the vast majority of cats are allowed outdoors, and most of them also do their business outside. I know several people who have cats, and I am the ONLY one with a litterbox indoors, because my boy is indoor only.

This is not a prank, nor is the poster asking an unusual question.

Please do not condemn people or tell them to get rid of their cats because you don't understand the cultural differences between the US and the UK.

I have been told by friends that I am cruel keeping my cat indoors. Most people I know let their female cats have a litter. Neither of which I agree with, but you don't change people's minds by castigating them and writing them off. Incidentally, we don't declaw here, so I think the US and the UK have a lot to learn from each other about animal care.

To the original poster, I am sorry that you have had such a bad reception here at TCS, please pay it no regard. Personally I think you should keep a litter tray indoors for your cats to use, getting an odour-control litter, a covered litter tray, scooping daily, and a weekly wash out, will keep odours under control.
I also advise you to get your cats spayed and neutered - it prevents many cancers which could cost you a lot in vets bills later and shorten their lives considerably.

Welcome to TCS

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Er.... in the UK the vast majority of cats are allowed outdoors, and most of them also do their business outside. I know several people who have cats, and I am the ONLY one with a litterbox indoors, because my boy is indoor only.

Please do not condemn people or tell them to get rid of their cats because you don't understand the cultural differences between the US and the UK.

I have been told by friends that I am cruel keeping my cat indoors. Most people I know let their female cats have a litter. Neither of which I agree with, but you don't change people's minds by castigating them and writing them off. Incidentally, we don't declaw here, so I think the US and the UK have a lot to learn from each other about animal care.

To the original poster, I am sorry that you have had such a bad reception here at TCS, please pay it no regard. Personally I think you should keep a litter tray indoors for your cats to use, getting an odour-control litter, a covered litter tray, scooping daily, and a weekly wash out, will keep odours under control.
I also advise you to get your cats spayed and neutered - it prevents many cancers which could cost you a lot in vets bills later and shorten their lives considerably.

Welcome to TCS
I do not think my post was castigating or disrespectful. I merely pointed out that litterboxes are part of cat ownership, even for indoor/outdoor cats. Rather than being re-homed, a litterbox or two should be provided inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tailormade03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u for your replys and like most of u said putting a cat outdoors in the uk is perfectly acceptable. I will be keeping the littertray indoors for the winter and i my heart wouldn't let me rehome them anyway. Was just merely asking for some advice.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Welcome to TCS
I don't anyone has criticised the OP for letting her cats outside - only for shutting them outside all day because she didn't want to use a litter tray. Most of the people I know who have indoor/outdoor cats do actually provide a litter tray for them indoors also, and that is recommended by most rescues as far as I know. A few cats may refuse to use it , preferring to go outside, but others do and it should always be provided so that the cat has a choice. The reason many rescues like owners to have cat flaps fitted is so that the cats can get inside to a warm, safe place at all times - eg if it's cold outside or they are being chased by another cat. It's one thing to allow a cat outside, another to force it to stay outside in winter.

tailormade03 - someone mentioned a covered litter tray. That is a good idea if you're worried about the smell etc. I use a covered litter tray with my 2 indoor cats (scooped twice a day) and there is no smell. And if yours are going outside some of the time they will probably not use it all that much.