Do cats sense how we are feeling?

catsarenice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently divorced and I sometimes have crying fits. Do cats know when we are sad? I've heard that dogs do but I am not sure about cats. I am afraid to upset them.

Thanks...

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe that cats do sense when we are sad. I know mine do and come up for extra purrrs and cuddling.And I think its there way of trying to comfort us. I doubt that your crying would really stress or upset your cats though.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I do believe that cats do sense when we are sad. I know mine do and come up for extra purrrs and cuddling.And I think its there way of trying to comfort us. I doubt that your crying would really stress or upset your cats though.
Mine do the same thing, whenever I'm sad they are definately extra cuddly and lovey.. I know they can sense it!

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that they can sense our emotions, and want to support us when we're upset. I don't think you need to be concerned about it being too stressful for them though. If you're worried about, I'm sure they'd appreciate some extra cuddle time with you.

This isn't directly related, but I also believe that cats can sense illness. When I still lived at home & before my father was diagnosed with cancer, he had extreme back pain but would not go to the doctor. One night, I was up with him because he couldn't sleep due to the discomfort. Both the family cat & dog were up and following him around EVERYWHERE he went, which was unusual for both of them, but especially the cat who tended to keep her distance. That night he ended up going to the emergency room because the pain was so unbearable; he was diagnosed with cancer soon after. I think they knew, and I will never forget that experience. I believe our furry friends are very intuitive.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amaranth

I think that they can sense our emotions, and want to support us when we're upset. I don't think you need to be concerned about it being too stressful for them though. If you're worried about, I'm sure they'd appreciate some extra cuddle time with you.

This isn't directly related, but I also believe that cats can sense illness
. When I still lived at home & before my father was diagnosed with cancer, he had extreme back pain but would not go to the doctor. One night, I was up with him because he couldn't sleep due to the discomfort. Both the family cat & dog were up and following him around EVERYWHERE he went, which was unusual for both of them, but especially the cat who tended to keep her distance. That night he ended up going to the emergency room because the pain was so unbearable; he was diagnosed with cancer soon after. I think they knew, and I will never forget that experience. I believe our furry friends are very intuitive.
It is a fact that when I had major surgery on my abdomen that Persi quit laying on my lap for a few weeks and just laid by my side. It was not until I started placing him back on my lap that he started doing that again. Coincidence? I do not think so.

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH I agree too... whenever my emotions stray from the norm... they sense it for sure.. and try their best to comfort me.. and always works! haha

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very sensitive to emotions. When things got bad for me, and I cried, my DiddoKahli would come up to me and lick the tears from my cheeks.

My other cats now will come and want a hug from me if I am not feeling up to par and that always helps out.