What food for UTI problems?

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once Angel finishes off her prescription food (Royal Canin urinary s/o), we were told we could put her on non-presciption food for urinary health. So what kinds are out there? I was at Petsmart and only saw Purina One and Pro Plan. I know those are probally not the best, but may need to go that route depending on prices and availability around here.

Dawn
Angel & Coca

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure for non-rx foods. My Polly has cystitis and eats hill's c/d. Sharky will be along soon, and she will know.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For dry food, Wysong has a Uretic formula. I tried mixing that with my Nugent's prescription food in the attempt to get him to eat the prescription food. When we went in for a recheck he had another infection and still had crystals so the vet said no more Wysong.

I've read someone else on here has very good results with it though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off ask your vet what % anges of stuff they want ...

Purina one UI actually isnt too bad ( not great but )

Nutro Max adult and light are formulated for UTI health

I beleive Royal canin has an otc UTI formula

I would urge you to try as much wet food as possible

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in the middle of this myself with Sluggo. EVERYTHING I've been reading and advice from others keeps turning me to an all natural raw diet for Sluggo. I'm waiting for a call from my holistic vet tonight to discuss this and get her opinion. My regular vet isn't knowledgeable about nutrition and doesn't know what to advise me. I'll let you know what I hear from my holistic vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmrotz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know what I should be looking for in the food? I mean like I know the Ash should be under a certain %, but what? Oh and this is for dry food too. I will be buying some wet too, but my one cat will only eat dry.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to talk to your vet to ask what percentages of ash, magnesium, calcium, & phosphorus they reccomend. I live in the extremem southern & extrememe rural area of MN, so basically my vet looked at me like I had 8 heads.
Also, did the kitty in question have crystals in her urine? If yes, struvite or calcium oxalate?

My Ophelia loves the Pro Plan wet Urinary Tract health chicken cans(never tried the dry). They have a very different texture & it goes over well with everyone in the house.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

First off ask your vet what % anges of stuff they want ...

Purina one UI actually isnt too bad ( not great but )

Nutro Max adult and light are formulated for UTI health

I beleive Royal canin has an otc UTI formula

I would urge you to try as much wet food as possible
you are always so knowledgeable and helpful!

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pico started off on the S/D (for 4 weeks) and then the Hill's C/D for a maintenance food but HATED it.
After his 1-month urinalysis, we started him on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet and have had good success. Our other healthy boy is on the Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken dry and Max Cat canned (as Sharky said, certified for urinary tract health - Magnesium = 0.085% on the guaranteed analysis). As far as I know, in Canada anyway, we don't have off the shelf Royal Canin for urinary tract health.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carm

Pico started off on the S/D (for 4 weeks) and then the Hill's C/D for a maintenance food but HATED it.
After his 1-month urinalysis, we started him on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet and have had good success. Our other healthy boy is on the Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken dry and Max Cat canned (as Sharky said, certified for urinary tract health - Magnesium = 0.085% on the guaranteed analysis). As far as I know, in Canada anyway, we don't have off the shelf Royal Canin for urinary tract health.
Humble HATES Eukanuma and K/D. I am at my wits end. He throws it all up. I am giving him baby food, Beech-nut turkey, and he eats dry purina one UT.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Humble HATES Eukanuma and K/D. I am at my wits end. He throws it all up. I am giving him baby food, Beech-nut turkey, and he eats dry purina one UT.
Sorry to hear about Humble - having urinary problems AND a sensitive tummy! I've had good success with the Royal Canin Urinary SO and IMHO, out of the RX foods available to me, it has better ingredients than the Hill's brands (it's difficult to see a label with filler as the first ingredient). I have also discovered that Pico hates pork in any type of cat food. Some of the Science Diet chicken and liver entrees have pork as the first ingredient - surprise surprise! Wysong RX also looks great, but we don't have it available in Canada. Good luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Dawn, Angel, and Coca:

I don't know which specific formula(e) would be recommended, but my Samuda suffered from UTI's for years until we moved to a location where, among other things, the water was purer; since our move, he has had NO problems! He was on Methigel for his problem, and ate regular formula premium foods, which he still does, such as Nutro Max Cat, Nutro Naturals, Nutro Complete Care, Natural Balance, Optimum Nature's Recipe, ProPlan, and Triumph. The premium foods really end up being more economical than supermarket foods, because they are higher quality, resulting in fewer health problems (and vet bills) and more usage of the food (and less elimination). Ask your vet what (s)he recommends.