Neutering questions????

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for a male cat to still get sexually aroused after he's been neutered? I got my 5 1/2 month old kitten neutered last week and I noticed that he is still getting aroused.....not that I look but he sometimes sits on the couch cleaning himself and it's hard not to notice. Also I've read that after neutering they usually calm down a bit. Well he hasn't calmed down not one bit. He is right back to his normal self tearing up the house like a crazy cat! Does it sometimes take a while after neutering for them to mellow out?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes around a month for the hormones to settle

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At 5-1/2 ,onths old, your kitten is still going to be a kitten.

My girls were spayed at about 5 and 4 months and they were as wild as ever the next day and I have to confess that those kittens are the greatest entertainment I could ever think of enjoying.

As mentioned, his hormones will work out of the system so you shouldn't see any signs of sexual excitement after a month, but your little guy sound healthy and full of playfulness. Enjoy his kitten time. Soon enough you will probably be wanting him to get up and play.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will still retain the hormones for about a month after neutering, so its not unusual for your cat to still be aroused since he was done last week. Also he CAN get a female pregnant in that one month period - so if you have unspayed females, keep him away from them.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington is around 18 months old, and was neutered at 6 months. Since his brother died two months ago he has got much more needy around me, with lots of cuddling and licking and including kneading behaviour that seems partly sexual, with thrusting movements and erections! It is a bit worrying and I have tried to stop it but without success so far. He doesn't do it to the girls, and it only started with Napoleon's death.

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our dearly departed MooCow still showed his "lipstick" (as we call it) when he was cleaning himself at two years old and had been fixed for a year and a half. I'm fairly certain that I saw it happen with the cat I grew up with too, when he was elderly.

I figured it was just a normal part of grooming. I'm sure it has to be cleaned, right?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by januaryg31

Is it normal for a male cat to still get sexually aroused after he's been neutered? I got my 5 1/2 month old kitten neutered last week and I noticed that he is still getting aroused.....not that I look but he sometimes sits on the couch cleaning himself and it's hard not to notice. Also I've read that after neutering they usually calm down a bit. Well he hasn't calmed down not one bit. He is right back to his normal self tearing up the house like a crazy cat! Does it sometimes take a while after neutering for them to mellow out?
A month is the general amount it takes for all the hormones to leave their systems. They can still get females pregnant for his amount of time too.

But a 5.5 month old kitten is still a kitten. He will be wild and crazy until he grows out of it because that is how kittens are!